Texas pig hunting ?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Texas Gun Forum > Texas pig hunting ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 03:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default Texas pig hunting ?

Where do you go ? Tell me what is up with the pigs.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-30-2013, 03:30 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21919 Times on 12384 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Tire View Post
Where do you go ? Tell me what is up with the pigs.
people hunt them all over the state. the biggest thing is they breed and multiply very quickly. they can survive on many things other animals can't and they are very disease tolerant. the smaller ones are very good eating as well when cooked properly. there is no limit or hunting season as they are considered nuisance animals, not game animals.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:35 AM   #3

I would like to plan a spring hunt, find some ranches who have some problems with the pigs. It would be fun to help some ranchers who don't have the time but need some help.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:37 AM   #4

Liked 4886 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
people hunt them all over the state. the biggest thing is they breed and multiply very quickly. they can survive on many things other animals can't and they are very disease tolerant. the smaller ones are very good eating as well when cooked properly. there is no limit or hunting season as they are considered nuisance animals, not game animals.
Axxe...

I've been gunning for a Construction project in Texas for awhile now just so I can go kill some hogs on the companies dime...have not popped one yet, but I will.

What are the best towns/areas for this?

Tack

Old 01-30-2013, 03:44 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21919 Times on 12384 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
I would like to plan a spring hunt, find some ranches who have some problems with the pigs. It would be fun to help some ranchers who don't have the time but need some help.
lots of people post on Craigslist either looking for people to get rid of their feral hogs or people looking to hunt them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Axxe...

I've been gunning for a Construction project in Texas for awhile now just so I can go kill some hogs on the companies dime...have not popped one yet, but I will.

Tack
kind ofthe same answer as i gave to FlatTire. i live in the East Texas area and there is quite a few around here. they seem to be pretty much in most areas of the state.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:51 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 550 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 229

About 5 years ago my buddy called me up because he had a massive hog problem on his land outside Normangee. I went up there to take care of it and there was so many that I ended up killing 5 pigs with only 2 bullets from a .308

I was up there this past December and although there was plenty of hog signs, we didn't see even one.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 02-07-2013, 01:19 AM   #7
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1233 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 589

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Axxe...

Tack
There are feral hogs almost anywhere in the state of Texas.
The problem is almost all land owners are greedy,and want you to pay them for removing their problem.
I refuse to pay someone to help them get rid of the feral hogs,they can just keep them,and let them destroy their property.

Hogs are very smart,and they stay on the move. I hunt them all the time on my friends ranch on the Red River.One week there will be several herds running around,and the next week,you can't find a single hog.
They are almost always nocturnal after they have been hunted in an area,and sometimes they will come to feeders and traps,other times they just tear up acre's of farmland in the open. You just never know where or when they will show up on his property,and he has several thousand acres.
We drive to one part that shows fresh sign of them,and when we drive somewhere else,they have just dug up about 5 acres of a hay field,and are no where to be found. It gets to be very frustrating at times trying to figure out where they are.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
There are feral hogs almost anywhere in the state of Texas.
The problem is almost all land owners are greedy,and want you to pay them for removing their problem.
I refuse to pay someone to help them get rid of the feral hogs,they can just keep them,and let them destroy their property.

Hogs are very smart,and they stay on the move. I hunt them all the time on my friends ranch on the Red River.One week there will be several herds running around,and the next week,you can't find a single hog.
They are almost always nocturnal after they have been hunted in an area,and sometimes they will come to feeders and traps,other times they just tear up acre's of farmland in the open. You just never know where or when they will show up on his property,and he has several thousand acres.
We drive to one part that shows fresh sign of them,and when we drive somewhere else,they have just dug up about 5 acres of a hay field,and are no where to be found. It gets to be very frustrating at times trying to figure out where they are.
You need NV......................

Old 02-09-2013, 02:30 AM   #9
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1233 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 589

Quote:
You need NV......................
That's in the plans. I'm going to put a Pulsar N550 digital nightvision scope on my LR-260 AR-10 as soon as I can afford it.

Right now we are using a couple Laser Genetics ND-3 lasers on our rifles,and also the bigger handheld ND-5,along with a remote controlled GO Light on the roof of my truck and also handheld spotlights.
If they are within 300 yards of us at night,they die!

Old 02-09-2013, 02:39 AM   #10

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

We found this "Pig" in a Bar in Fort Worth.

pig.jpg