starting a new gun club

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Texas Gun Forum > starting a new gun club

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 04:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Default starting a new gun club

A few friends i are starting a gun club and putting up a possible course, would we have to register with anyone

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-14-2012, 04:46 AM   #2

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig View Post
A few friends i are starting a gun club and putting up a possible course, would we have to register with anyone
You should consult a lawyer up front, there will be issues of structure, such as corporation, liability and so on. Once you have worked through the set up you'll have a better idea where to go next.

Keep up with the trends, avoid the fads, take your time and do work you can be proud of always

Old 09-14-2012, 04:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearrwe

You should consult a lawyer up front, there will be issues of structure, such as corporation, liability and so on. Once you have worked through the set up you'll have a better idea where to go next.
A member is a lawyer, jus found out

Old 09-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9543 Times on 4105 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

It is MANDATORY that you register with the Dept of Questions with Inadequate Information. They will need fingerprints, DNA, and an 8x10 glossy of Sam Houston.

There are different states (I was told 57 of them) and they all have different laws. As do some cities and counties. You are posting on the Texas forum- but where are you? Are you a business, a non-profit, or a sole proprietor?

A good start would be to talk to the NRA. They have an entire section that deals with ranges- design and operations. What you will need depends on what you are shooting. Range fan for a handgun range is a lot different from the range fan for a 1000 meter 50 BMG range.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #5

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I suppose you have already done an investigation in regard to where it would be located & any possible obstacles that could come up? A person could go to the expense & trouble of jumping through all the governmental hoops then get stopped because someone complained about the noise even though you have selected a 'legal' site.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee
I suppose you have already done an investigation in regard to where it would be located & any possible obstacles that could come up? A person could go to the expense & trouble of jumping through all the governmental hoops then get stopped because someone complained about the noise even though you have selected a 'legal' site.
Yea we neex to find a discreet location, but hell this is Texas

Old 09-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
It is MANDATORY that you register with the Dept of Questions with Inadequate Information. They will need fingerprints, DNA, and an 8x10 glossy of Sam Houston.

There are different states (I was told 57 of them) and they all have different laws. As do some cities and counties. You are posting on the Texas forum- but where are you? Are you a business, a non-profit, or a sole proprietor?

A good start would be to talk to the NRA. They have an entire section that deals with ranges- design and operations. What you will need depends on what you are shooting. Range fan for a handgun range is a lot different from the range fan for a 1000 meter 50 BMG range.
We want to do a tac course so im thinking a few acres should do it. Id love to get sponsors to give out nice prizes. One of thr memberz is friends with a larue so maybe well have luck there.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:43 PM   #8

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default New gun range start up

Frisco gun Club is opening this coming year'13, 48,000 sq. ft. Gotta believe it will do well considering the amount of money that will be invested. Sig, you asked about registering with anyone, i could only imagine what the paperwork trail would be like registering, notifying, asking, gaining permission, it would go on and on. I suggest setting one up close to where there is public hunting available, at least you know your in the right neighborhood.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #9

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post

There are different states (I was told 57 of them) and they all have different laws.
ONLY 57 ? I thought there were 132.

But until a few days ago, I thought the internet was a

series of tubes...

Seriously, best of luck to you.

Don't forget to have a ladie's event, and startups with .22LR for beginners.

This sounds like a first class chance to be an ambassador of the cause.

Last edited by therewolf; 09-18-2012 at 09:35 PM.