Question about Texas fire arms laws - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Texas Gun Forum > Question about Texas fire arms laws

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2014, 05:35 AM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3179 Times on 1652 Posts
Likes Given: 322

Probable Cause for a stop is NOT the same a Probable Cause for a search. Just because you fail to signal a lane change does not give an officer PC to search your vehicle.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 02-21-2014, 05:39 AM   #22
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTop View Post
The tags on your license plate appeared damaged and could be an indication they were stolen so your vehicle must be towed to impound. This doesn't necessarily give him probable cause to search your vehicle but to insure you don't loose any valuables he was simply doing an inventory.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
Wrong. The VIN is placed in a public place to verify the identity of a vehicle. If the VIN is removed, yeah the impound yard is the next stop. There are "confidential" VIN's in the vehicle that Auto Theft Detectives are trained on. They can put the car on a lift and find them, verifying the ID of the vehicle. Possession of altered ID numbers is an offense in Texas. A VIN is an ID number.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:41 AM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
first of all, he can't go through your vehicle without your permission, probable cause or a search warrant. i have nothing illegal to hide, but anytime someone wants to search my vehicle or home, they will need to secure a search warrant first. simply because i believe in my rights and if they are sure i have something illegal, then they will need to back up thst suspicion with a warrant.
Not true. All that is necessary for a Frisk of the vehicle is a reasonable suspicion that A) you are armed and B) you are likely to use the weapon against the officer. See Terry v Ohio

Old 02-21-2014, 10:33 PM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 204 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I had shoulder surgery once and was prescribed some narcotic pain killers. I would take them with me in the original pill bottle to take as prescribed. One day by accident I left the bottle at home. I got pulled over for speeding and apparently I had dropped one of my pills on the floor. The officer saw it and used it as probable cause. Because it was a narcotic and I didn't have the bottle I was arrested.
It got thrown out when I they found that I indeed did have a prescription but it was a ****ty experience. That pill could have been a vitamin for all he knew when it was sitting on my floor board.

Last edited by ccase39; 02-21-2014 at 10:37 PM.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:04 PM   #25

Liked 43 Times on 29 Posts

I asked an under cover detective once about carry laws in Texas. He said you can have one concealed in your vehicle, home, and place of business. As long as you are not committing any crimes or breaking the law you are fine. I also asked him "what if I get pulled over and they want to search my truck" he replied and said to tell them that i am sorry officer but I am in a hurry to get home. He said usually they will be pretty Cool about that. he talked about the castle doctrine a little after everything was said, but all this was told to me by a cop.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:26 PM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6614 Times on 3513 Posts
Likes Given: 490

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39 View Post
I had shoulder surgery once and was prescribed some narcotic pain killers. I would take them with me in the original pill bottle to take as prescribed. One day by accident I left the bottle at home. I got pulled over for speeding and apparently I had dropped one of my pills on the floor. The officer saw it and used it as probable cause. Because it was a narcotic and I didn't have the bottle I was arrested.
It got thrown out when I they found that I indeed did have a prescription but it was a ****ty experience. That pill could have been a vitamin for all he knew when it was sitting on my floor board.
not true all narcotics have a distinct color or stamping for easy identification by sight. it is illegal for a vitamin or non-narcotic to use those distinctions. this is done for easy identification to reduce medication errors. its not possible for it to be mistaken for a vitamin.

seeing the loose pill was pc to investigate further which didupon close examination be your prescription.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 02-25-2015 at 01:28 PM.