You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Texas Gun Forum >

Question about Texas fire arms laws

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 04:28 AM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22401 Times on 12496 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGSF View Post
Ok robo is it ok if a wilco deputy , to asked you to step out of your truck. And then proceeds to go thru your trucks and finds your gun and then runs the serial number to find out if it's stolen.
That's what I call an azzhat.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
first of all, he can't go through your vehicle without your permission, probable cause or a search warrant. i have nothing illegal to hide, but anytime someone wants to search my vehicle or home, they will need to secure a search warrant first. simply because i believe in my rights and if they are sure i have something illegal, then they will need to back up thst suspicion with a warrant.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:36 AM   #12
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 4124 Times on 2106 Posts
Likes Given: 523

From your brief description of the situation, I would venture to say you were dealing with a Deputy who had little or no understanding of the meaning of Terry v Ohio.

Many officers only see the first part of Terry, that he has a reasonable suspicion you may be armed. They do not get the second part about how you are likely to use said weapon to harm others.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 02-13-2014, 11:38 AM   #13

Liked 562 Times on 336 Posts

I am hijacking the thread ..
I am not cop bashing but I just chalk it up to an uneducated cop.
Hell it happened a couple years ago.

"I'm an A**hole"
Old 02-14-2014, 02:11 AM   #14
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 4124 Times on 2106 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Wilco has gotten better under the current Sheriff. They still have a ways to go IMHO. One got rather heavy handed with my wife some time back. She got a personal apology from the Chief Deputy.

The Bubba mentality is on the way out at Wilco. Higher pay will allow them to hire better, more educated officers. The old guard will be weeded out. Amazing how selective an agency can be when their pay is competitive.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:14 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 211 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I reasearched a site by NRA and from what I understand you can possess a firearm without a permit in your own car or a car within your control (rental) or ur residence or residence in ur control as long as it is conceiled. You can carry directly from your car to home and vice versa. I've decided to leave it home anyway.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:29 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
first of all, he can't go through your vehicle without your permission, probable cause or a search warrant. i have nothing illegal to hide, but anytime someone wants to search my vehicle or home, they will need to secure a search warrant first. simply because i believe in my rights and if they are sure i have something illegal, then they will need to back up thst suspicion with a warrant.
Unfortunately they can claim anything as probable cause. Swerving, speeding, tail light out etch and then proceed to search your vehicle and for the sake of argument find something illegal. Now if you can afford an attorney it would probably be thrown out because it was insufficient probable cause. For the people who can't afford an attorney or don't know any better they will take a plea deal without even reviewing options. The court will get their court fees, DAs get recognition, and the arrests stats look good on paper.
Depending on the DA cops well arrest you on just about anything they can put together and leave it in the hands of the DA to sort out. When it comes to misdemeanors They go after the type of people who they know likely cannot afford an attorney, some kid with pot, underage drinker, DUI etc . This is just for the sake of argument mind you, I am not saying these crimes should not be punished.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39 View Post
Unfortunately they can claim anything as probable cause. Swerving, speeding, tail light out etch and then proceed to search your vehicle and for the sake of argument find something illegal. Now if you can afford an attorney it would probably be thrown out because it was insufficient probable cause. For the people who can't afford an attorney or don't know any better they will take a plea deal without even reviewing options. The court will get their court fees, DAs get recognition, and the arrests stats look good on paper.
Depending on the DA cops well arrest you on just about anything they can put together and leave it in the hands of the DA to sort out. When it comes to misdemeanors They go after the type of people who they know likely cannot afford an attorney, some kid with pot, underage drinker, DUI etc . This is just for the sake of argument mind you, I am not saying these crimes should not be punished.
an officer can cite probable cause until the cows come home and it will not help him in any way with me. it will more than likely cost him his job by the time my attorney is finished. what leg does that officer stand on when he cites probable cause and detains me, tears my vehicle apart and finds nothing illegal at all, because there was nothing there illegal to begin with? i also doubt the DA will pursue anything further when the officer came up dry in finding anything illegal. puts the officer and his department in a very bad situation in terms if a lawsuit. LEO's and LE agencies don't like cases where civil rights have been violated. it causes them huge problems.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:58 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
an officer can cite probable cause until the cows come home and it will not help him in any way with me. it will more than likely cost him his job by the time my attorney is finished. what leg does that officer stand on when he cites probable cause and detains me, tears my vehicle apart and finds nothing illegal at all, because there was nothing there illegal to begin with? i also doubt the DA will pursue anything further when the officer came up dry in finding anything illegal. puts the officer and his department in a very bad situation in terms if a lawsuit. LEO's and LE agencies don't like cases where civil rights have been violated. it causes them huge problems.
Exactly. Sad to say most people are not as educated as you and I and get taken advantage of
People Like This 
Old 02-21-2014, 06:04 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39 View Post
Exactly. Sad to say most people are not as educated as you and I and get taken advantage of
very true. but that is their own fault. we live in a day and age when information is right at the tips of your fingers and a simple search on the internet. i believe knowledge is power.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:33 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1796 Times on 922 Posts

The tags on your license plate appeared damaged and could be an indication they were stolen so your vehicle must be towed to impound. This doesn't necessarily give him probable cause to search your vehicle but to insure you don't loose any valuables he was simply doing an inventory.