Question about Texas fire arms laws
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Texas Gun Forum > Question about Texas fire arms laws

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 02:53 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 199 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default Question about Texas fire arms laws

My girlfriend and I are going to Houston this weekend for her work and will be driving in from Louisiana. When I travel I bring my handgun with me and keep it in the glove box as I drive. Is there anything I need to know about the laws there when it comes to firearms in a vehicle?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-12-2014, 03:03 AM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 539 Times on 325 Posts

You should be ok . As long as you don't drink and drive .
You have to keep it concealed at all times.
Our gun laws reciprocate with La. If you get pulled over for a traffic stop just let them know you have a firearm in the car. And tell them you are traveling.
Do you have your conceal handgun lic?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Last edited by SSGSF; 02-12-2014 at 03:05 AM.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:14 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

No permit yet. I never carry anyway. I usually put it in my bag if I'm checking into a room and then put it in the night stand.
If I decide to go somewhere sometimes I will have it holstered out of sight until I get in my car. I probably shouldn't even do that.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:57 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Even the walking to the car shoukd be fine. If i am correct our laws state your car is an extension of your property so it is legal even without a license to transfer the weapon to your car concealed as long as your are going straight from where you are staying to your car.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 02-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39 View Post
No permit yet. I never carry anyway. I usually put it in my bag if I'm checking into a room and then put it in the night stand.
If I decide to go somewhere sometimes I will have it holstered out of sight until I get in my car. I probably shouldn't even do that.
Getting legal advice off the internet is often a recipe for disaster. I would do my own research by reading the Texas Statutes. If you are staying in a hotel that will require you to travel through the lobby going to and from your room make sure you pay strict attention to laws concerning common areas.

A little PSA here. Folks, if you are a gun owner that travels with a handgun it is to your advantage to get a carry permit... even if you never intend to carry. Having that permit can save you a lot of headaches if an officer decides to ask you if you have any firearms.

I mentioned "common areas" in the first paragraph. In some areas you have the right to possess in your car, and you have the right to possess in your home. The catch comes in if you live in a place that requires you to enter and exit through a common area such as a lobby or entry hall. Without a permit you may not be able to possess a firearm there even if you are going directly from your home to your car.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:53 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2131 Times on 1466 Posts
Likes Given: 793

Here is a site that has a lot of helpful information for travelers. http://www.handgunlaw.us/

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Old 02-12-2014, 01:30 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 783 Times on 521 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Texas State law states that you can carry in your home, car or place of business. Traveling from car to either location like walking from your front door to the car is covered. Also the weapon MUST be concealed in the vehicle and you MUST report it to a LEO first thing if you are pulled over.

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:37 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Great advice. I plan on getting my Cary permit next month

Old 02-13-2014, 12:49 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2986 Times on 1556 Posts
Likes Given: 277

NOTHING says you must declare it to an LEO if you are pulled over (unless you have a Texas CHL).

In Texas it is legal to have a handgun on your person or in your car (On or about your person) if;
it is concealed
you are in your car (presumably a rental or the significant other's car is covered, but that is not specifically addressed)
you are not prohibited from owning a firearm (felon, Protective Order, etc)
You are not a member of a criminal street gang
you are not breaking any other laws (other than a traffic offense).

Not a thug, your car, not drunk or otherwise doing something very stupid, you are ok.

Unfortunately the reaction you get from officers is not predictable (if you declare the gun). Soe officers are laid back and actualy support the 2nd Amendment. Some are uptight azz holes if they hear "gun".

If you choose to declare, have your hands in plain view (on the steering wheel), your Driver's License out and wait for the officer's cue. Many will comment on your hand positioning. That is your opportunity to say "I do not want to make you nervous. I am travelling with a firearm and want to insure you have no cause to become alarmed". Or something to that effect. 99% of the officers will be cool with that and will likely just give you a warning.

AT ALL COSTS avoid using terms like "Gun", "right to carry", "2nd Amendment", "Constitutional Rights" or "Go Sooners" and you should be fine

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This 
Old 02-13-2014, 04:22 AM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 539 Times on 325 Posts

Ok robo is it ok if a wilco deputy , to asked you to step out of your truck. And then proceeds to go thru your trucks and finds your gun and then runs the serial number to find out if it's stolen.
That's what I call an azzhat.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"