Outdoor range - Austin

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Texas Gun Forum > Outdoor range - Austin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 04:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Outdoor range - Austin

I did my searching on the forum and could not find this topic already discussed so I thought I would start one. I am originally from New Mexico and have been in Texas (San Antonio/Austin area) for the last 11 years or so. Due to work and financial problems over the years, I have neglected on getting to the range at all. I am now wanting to get back to shooting on a more consistent basis and also introduce my son and wife to the basics of proper gun usage.

I have only shot @ outdoor ranges, as there were no indoor ones where I was raised, so that's where I would prefer to start back up again. I have searched online and cannot seem to find anything in/around the Austin area. Are there any members here who could help me out if they know of anywhere to go?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

You may not like guns, and choose not to own one. That is your right. You might not believe in God. That is your choice. However, if someone breaks into your home the first two things you're going to do are: 1) Call someone with a gun. 2) Pray they get there in time. - Unknown

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 531 Times on 321 Posts

Hey where in the Austin area do you live . Cause there are two out north of Austin on 183 north of leander

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 07-05-2012, 01:34 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I'm in South Austin (Manchaca area) but have pretty much traveled my whole life, so I've got quite a few miles on me. If nothing else comes up closer then I may have to travel out there, I know the area a little bit. Could you give me the names so I could find them online and get directions? Thanks for the reply.

You may not like guns, and choose not to own one. That is your right. You might not believe in God. That is your choice. However, if someone breaks into your home the first two things you're going to do are: 1) Call someone with a gun. 2) Pray they get there in time. - Unknown

Old 07-05-2012, 02:50 AM   #4

Liked 3015 Times on 1801 Posts
Likes Given: 2033

Default outdoor...not much

although it is INDOOR, red's shold be pretty close to you. just double up on that ear protection if you go there........BOOM!

most outdoor ranges are outside of austin, idk of any actually in austin.

http://www.texasgunrange.com/

Old 07-05-2012, 03:03 AM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwb8568
I'm in South Austin (Manchaca area) but have pretty much traveled my whole life, so I've got quite a few miles on me. If nothing else comes up closer then I may have to travel out there, I know the area a little bit. Could you give me the names so I could find them online and get directions? Thanks for the reply.
I think the name of the range is Astros . But I will find out for sure.. But if I where you I would go to reds in south Austin. Cause you can also rent guns there to.

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 07-05-2012, 03:09 AM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Here you go this one is in Lockhart Lone Star Gun Range

3795 Dry Creek Road
Lockhart, Texas 78644
(Click map image for printable map)

Email: training@lonestargunrange.com
Phone: 512-801-2624
Fax: 512-628-6222

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 07-05-2012, 03:11 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

one more for Reds'

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 07-05-2012, 03:51 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks yall for the links/info and responses.....I'll check into those.

I've heard of Reds range, even believe I have driven past it 2 or 30 times before. It's just like I had mentioned in my original post, I've never shot "inside", so just fee a little uncomfortable about how to go in and go about it. Like a true green/newbie feeling when it comes to thinking about that. I'm from the old-school where I used to just go on the outside of town back home, find a pit or old well location, set up cans or paper or whatever and commence to target shooting. I may just swing on over there when I get back into town on my days off and talk to somebody working their about the whole situation.

Again, thanks for the replies, they have helped get me started on the right track.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:53 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Reds is expensive and over crowded.... I'd go for the one in Lockhart.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:25 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Best range in the Austin area is by far Best of the West. They have tactical bays. You get a whole bay to yourself. You can draw from holsters rapid fire, bump fire, full auto is allowed also. Rifle range goes out to 1000 yards. They also have Larue Sniper Targets on the rifle range. Skeet range also. Only open Wed. thru Sun. at 8am to 7pm
Best of the West
19500 W. SH 29
Liberty Hill, TX 78642
(512) 355-3486
http://texasshootingrange.com/