Need help building a gun.
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Texas Gun Forum >

Need help building a gun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2015, 12:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Need help building a gun.

i dont know anything about ar-15's but was considering trying to build my own. i was wondering if its worth building my own or just buying one from a gun shop. I'm on a budget and was looking at a Smith & Wesson M&P15 or the Ruger AR-556 both which cost about $750 give or take. Only thing i know is i need to buy the lower and upper receiver but i dont know if there are other parts i need to buy. some of my questions may not make sense sorry about that lol but id really appreciate the help thank you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-16-2015, 01:07 AM   #2

Liked 1310 Times on 743 Posts
Likes Given: 633

An AR is a pretty easy rifle to assemble yourself if you have mechanical abilities,and understand the way one functions. You can save some money building a basic rifle,or you can sink a crap load of money into a build.It all depends on the quality of the parts that you use,and the exact configuration of AR that you're wanting.
The main parts you don't want to cheap out on are the barrel,trigger assembly,bolt/carrier group,and optics if you want them.That's where your accuracy will begin and end with.
Don't get hung up on "Mil-spec",there are many non-Mil-spec guns/parts that will out shoot a "Mil-spec" rifle.
North American Hunting Club
Nick_827 Likes This 
Old 01-16-2015, 01:58 AM   #3

thank you Txhillbilly. is there a site or a manufacture that you would recommend to me to find the parts needed to build one. i would like to try and build one for under the $750 mark if thats possible but dont want to build a cheap rifle. i plan on using the gun mainly for range shooting and occasionally hunting.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:10 AM   #4

Liked 1310 Times on 743 Posts
Likes Given: 633

Nick,What kind of rifle are you wanting to build?
What type of distance are you wanting to shoot?
Are you wanting a lightweight / mid weight / or heavy barreled rifle? I personally like 18 or 20 inch barrels,and use a rifle length gas system,but I shoot for distance and accuracy,and also only handload for all of my firearms.If you are planning on shooting factory ammo,the rifle will only be as accurate as the ammo that you are shooting.

You can buy stripped uppers and lowers pretty cheap right now,but to build a quality AR for $750 will be stretching things real thin.
The lower if bought from an online vendor will have to be shipped to a local FFL,and then they will charge you a transfer fee on top of the price of the lower,so if you can find a quality stripped lower for $100-125 buy it locally.
I've bought several upper's/lower's from Surplus Ammo,and they are good quality. http://www.surplusammo.com/saa-sa-15-reticle-logo-ar15-stripped-lower-receiver/
http://www.surplusammo.com/STP1-T-A-F-D-C/
I use Rock River Arms 2 stage NM triggers in all of my AR15's/AR10's,for the money,they are one of the best triggers around.There are better triggers,but you'll pay 2-3 times more for them.
You can buy the RRA trigger on Ebay for $80,most places get $100+ for them. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rock-River-Arms-National-Match-2-Stage-Trigger-/191474315744?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c94c2 31e0

Barrels are where you get into the money.A good barrel will run you $200-500,but you can get a really good barrel for around $250-300.
Rainier / Seekins / White Oak / Wilson Combat and several others make real good barrels.

Bolt Carrier Group will run around $100 for a good one,then you will need a gas block/gas tube/handguard/buffer tube-buffer-and spring/and a buttstock.The handguard and buttstock can also get pretty expensive depending on the style that you want.

Sights/Optics - Here's where the big money can be spent,but there are deals out there depending on what you want.

I'm not trying to discourage you,but you can sink a ton of money into a quality AR,you can do a little at a time,or you can buy a cheap rifle and deal with the performance.
North American Hunting Club

Old 01-18-2015, 01:36 AM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3577 Times on 1723 Posts
Likes Given: 1782

Nick,

You can build a nice rifle yourself at a reasonable price compared to dealer retail! I would advise building the Lower Receiver and just buying the Upper Receiver complete with Bolt Carrier Group. This assures the Headspace is correct on the rifle. You can normally save a lot of money if you shop around. But word of warning do not buy any cheap junk. Check the Forum Out here since many of the guys and gals have already been down the road and have great advice. No need to reinvent the wheel so to speak. There are a lot of good quality Stripped Lower Receivers out there and good quality Lower Parts Kits and Stocks. What a lot of people do not realize when they buy a complete rifle from a manufacturer and dealer is the minute the complete rifle is put together by them they owe the Federal Government 11% Federal Excise tax. So obviously the cost they sell the rifle for reflects that cost of the tax. But you should not have any great difficulty building one and there are those here to help you! In fact it is a feeling of accomplishment for most.

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 01-18-2015, 03:34 AM   #6

well I've been doing as much research as i can but since of course im new to ar's im not sure what exactly i should be looking for. ive found stripped lowers for good prices but idk about the brand on whether its a good brand or not. and also what should i be looking for when buying the lower kit? I've also looked into the uppers but those were ranging around the $500+ so im assuming those are completes? if they are im guessing i need the buy the stripped lower and the kit as well. again the brands of these i know nothing about and i dont want to end up building a cheap rifle. Also when buying the lower and upper do the lower and upper need to be made by the same manufacturer?

so here is the basics i (think) i know lol.
i need to buy
1) stripped lower
2) lower kit
3) stripped upper
4) upper kit
5) stock
6) Barrel

now i could be totaly wrong and if i am im all ears. wont hurt my feelings any and whatever yall say im sure it'll teach me something that i dont know (which im sure is a lot).

Thanks guys really do appreciate it.