Looking to buy my first rifle. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Texas Gun Forum > Looking to buy my first rifle.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2014, 11:20 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2796 Times on 1631 Posts
Likes Given: 1618

Jagermeister - Lever-action rifles were "assault rifles" when semi-autos were merely a gleam in John Browning's eye!

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

Jagermeister Likes This 
Old 01-31-2014, 01:47 AM   #12

Liked 313 Times on 220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
If the sole purpose is hunting hogs and dogs, why go tactical? You pay more for "tactical" than you would for practical. What area are you hunting in? What kind of distances are we talking about, terrain, how much walking and calling are you going to do? A good, light .308 bolt action may just right.

I really like my Ruger Gunsite Scout. It 's a good all around rifle that could be used for hunting deer to coyotes. With 10 round magazines of 308 you've got some nice knock down power, and it'll hold a nice fixed or low power scope or red dot sight. It's not great at any one thing, but is a reliable, versatile rifle. And it is a decent value. I got mine for under $700.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:12 AM   #13
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogHunting View Post
Firstly, I thought about the .308 Oracle prior to this post, but heard some really harsh things about DPMS. Secondly, I was also told I should build a gun from the ground up, but not sure about that option. Finally, of course I've hunted hogs before. I hunted them with my bud's Bushmaster, and it got the job done.
Don't believe everything you read or hear about DPMS. Most AR nuts are brand fans,and then the real rambo types think everything has to be Mil-spec.
I've built several AR15's over the years,and also have two Rock River's-a 223 and a 458 SOCOM,along with a DPMS LR-260H. None of which are Mil-spec,and they all have served me well for years of trouble free service.

I'm not much for the Oracle line of DPMS,nor any other "Entry" level firearm. Why buy a stripped down model when for a few hundred more,you can get a very good weapon that needs very little added to it.
I change the triggers in all of my AR style weapons,the factory triggers from almost everyone are pretty stiff,and gritty feeling.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 02-15-2014, 05:45 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 124 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
DPMS .308 Oracle is going to push the budget, but it gives you an auto loading .308 that is optic friendly, but doesn't leave you a lot of room in the budget for the actual optics. You could get a Remington .308 autoloader in a more "traditional" style for less. Would still do the same thing functionally for less money. IF 150 yds is about the max range, then a good lever gun in .30-30 or .35 Rem would still get the job done and is still a fine, and handy rifle. LeverEvolution ammo is very accurate and extends the range a bit by increasing velocity, reducing drag and flattening the trajectory.
I was looking at those and was pretty impressed for what you get for the price. I think it was around 850 on sale at Academy here. I decided to build another AR-15 so I put the .308 on the back burner.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:50 PM   #15

Call Joe
www.hour13guns.com

Old 05-14-2014, 12:57 AM   #16

Liked 2490 Times on 1421 Posts
Likes Given: 1940

I think you want a MSR-Modern Sporting Rifle.

Seems to me the difference between "tactical"

and a regular rifle is a few hundred dollars.

I hunt coyotes with 5.56/.223, no problem. It will also

put down hogs, but I usually use a larger caliber, preferably

with a bayonet on the front, because we are hunting in close

brush in Florida, and some of those alphas are mean, fast, and

big. YMMV.