Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Texas Gun Forum > Legally carry in your car in Texas ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 04:54 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Legally carry in your car in Texas ?

Does anybody know for sure if you can carry a loaded concealed handgun in your car in Texas without a concealed carry license? I would really like to hear from some law enforcement people or anyone that "knows" the law.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-02-2013, 05:02 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 833 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Yes you can, as long as its concealed. This falls under the "Castle Doctrine". Your car is considered as a part of your dwelling, so you can definitely carry a loaded handgun in your car. Just make sure it is concealed! This rule was confirmed my my CHL instructor who is a cop and former marine.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
People Like This 
Old 02-02-2013, 05:02 AM   #3

Liked 4781 Times on 2677 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Texas laws on carrying weapons in a car depends the type of car you are driving. You should check the list of cars first. In doing so also check Texas laws on Firearms.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:07 AM   #4

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts

With the Motorist Protection Act of 2009, you can legally carry a concealed handgun or a visible, unloaded rifle/shotgun.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:35 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGunner
Yes you can, as long as its concealed. This falls under the "Castle Doctrine". Your car is considered as a part of your dwelling, so you can definitely carry a loaded handgun in your car. Just make sure it is concealed! This rule was confirmed my my CHL instructor who is a cop and former marine.
Thanks for the info

Old 02-02-2013, 05:36 AM   #6

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Sure can carried everyday in my car in CC texas with no issues until I had my permit now I just keep it on my hip even while driving I'm left handed so its faster to access there. and I had been pulled over several times with it.

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Old 02-02-2013, 05:37 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker
Texas laws on carrying weapons in a car depends the type of car you are driving. You should check the list of cars first. In doing so also check Texas laws on Firearms.
Where do you check this list of cars ?

Old 02-02-2013, 05:42 AM   #8

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donray

Where do you check this list of cars ?
I'm not saying there's not but I've never heard of there being designated cars if your driving the car and your on the insurance no matter what kind of car as long as its concealed its ok as stated previously your car is an extension of your home. Also in no class have I ever heard of there being designated cars you can and can't carry in. Also I never had an issue in my car or truck.

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Old 02-02-2013, 05:44 AM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead396

I'm not saying there's not but I've never heard of there being designated cars if your driving the car and your on the insurance no matter what kind of car as long as its concealed its ok as stated previously your car is an extension of your home. Also in no class have I ever heard of there being designated cars you can and can't carry in. Also I never had an issue in my car or truck.
Thanks for the information. Very helpful!

Old 02-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #10

Liked 2149 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Your high again aint ya?

As said YES--In you car --NOT on your person without a CCL---

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Last edited by HOSSFLY; 02-02-2013 at 01:03 PM.
People Like This