Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Texas Gun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f156/)
-   -   how are Texas gun laws? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f156/how-texas-gun-laws-72280/)

jackal6 09-12-2012 03:09 AM

how are Texas gun laws?

I'm planning on moving to Texas in a couple years and want to know if ill be able to enjoy guns more, I live in California now so I know it'll be better than here

JonM 09-12-2012 03:39 AM

texas has some great gun laws. the one thing i think is stupid though is their law on printing or accidentally flashing a gun while ccwing and they have no open carry.

jackal6 09-12-2012 03:43 AM

Do you need a licence to cc?

JonM 09-12-2012 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackal6 (Post 937495)
Do you need a licence to cc?

yes and i believe they also have a minimum residency but that might have changed in the 12 years ive been gone.

moving your thread to the texas subforum. you might get more up to date info here

texaswoodworker 09-12-2012 04:12 AM

These are some of our basic laws. (I think they are all up to date, but I'd double check)

18 to buy a long gun
21 for pistol (18 through private sale)
NO permits required
NO gun registration
NO assault weapon bans or high capacity magazine bans
Shall issue for concealed carry licenses
Castle Doctrine
NO waiting period
Loaded handguns can be within reach in your car, but must be concealed.
Loaded long guns can be within reach in your car, and doesn't have to be concealed
No open carry

As JonM said, we have great laws, except for the open carry/printing thing.

Axxe55 09-12-2012 04:23 AM

our gun laws are far from perfect, due to no open carry, but we are much better off than some other states. we don't have magazine restrictions, we can own legal silencers, and IIRC, we can legally own fully automatic firearms. also IIRC, the only magazine restrictions we have is when hunting. so Texas is pretty tolerant of gun owners.

Ultimate_sig 09-12-2012 04:23 AM

I love texas law we can do any thing we want....the onlything i dnt like is the no open carry. we can have slidefires, surpressors, short barrels, we can have full auto with the proper permit

kytowboater 09-12-2012 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig
I love texas law we can do any thing we want....the onlything i dnt like is the no open carry. we can have slidefires, nv, surpressors, short barrels, we can have full auyo with the proper permit stamps and we can have any type of trigger we want...hell if u want a 1/2 lb trigger u xan do it

Come to ky. We have open carry and a CCDW not a cpl of chp.

gollygee 09-12-2012 01:16 PM

From what I've heard about california gun laws, why you waiting a couple of years???:)

nitestalker 09-12-2012 01:57 PM

Just stop in Arizona it is a Free state. A citizen may carry without begging the state for a permit. You may carry concealed or open. Arizona has vast public lands on which to shoot. It is difficult to find open areas in Texas on which you can shoot. There are the Free states of Alaska, Arizona and Wyoming in which a citizen can carry concealed or open no permits needed.:)