Here is some news you need to read.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Texas Gun Forum > Here is some news you need to read.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 512 Times on 314 Posts

Guns Could Be Issue in Governor's Race
by Jay Root September 11, 2013 (September 5, 2013 for Subscribers)

If state Sen. Wendy Davis gets into the race for Texas governor, abortion won’t be the only hot-button social issue dividing the major candidates.

The topic of gun restrictions will spice things up, too.

Davis, who became an instant political celebrity after filibustering a restrictive abortion bill in June, voted in favor of allowing students to carry guns in their vehicles on college campuses. She is a gun owner and has said she believes the Second Amendment guarantees Americans that right. In a lot of states, that would probably put her in the pro-gun camp.

But this is Texas, where licensed gun toters are allowed to bypass the metal detectors at the state Capitol and the sitting governor once shot a coyote to death while jogging. Ann Richards, the last Democratic governor, found out the hard way that getting between Texans and their guns can be politically dangerous. She opposed concealed handgun legislation and vetoed a referendum on it, handing George W. Bush a great campaign issue in 1994. Texans got a concealed carry law in Bush’s first session as governor.

Despite the risks, Davis, known for waging sometimes lonely political battles, has not been afraid to pick a fight over guns — in particular over gun shows.

As a member of the Fort Worth City Council, Davis tried to impose restrictions on guns shows held at municipal facilities. She wanted to ensure that people were buying from licensed dealers or otherwise faced background checks.

Under current law, nothing prevents people at gun shows from buying guns from other people attending them. Critics say evil-doers exploit this loophole by buying and selling firearms at gun shows, often in large quantities, that later show up at crime scenes. According to a recent report in the Dallas Observer, for example, a Texas man went to numerous gun shows around the state to purchase dozens of assault rifles that authorities say were sold at a high profit to buyers who sent them to Mexico.

According to the report, one of his gun show stops was the Will Rogers Memorial Center in Fort Worth, which would have been regulated by the restrictions Davis unsuccessfully sought.

In a recent interview, Davis didn’t back down from her position on gun shows, though she acknowledged it’s not a politically popular one. She said that if she were governor, she would leave the issue to the will of the Legislature but would happily sign gun show regulations into law.

“I haven’t pursued it as a senator because I know it’s like spitting in the wind,” she said. “But I still believe it’s the right thing. And if I were governor and a bill came to my desk that provided for background checks at gun shows, I would sign that.”

That position puts her at odds with the front-running GOP candidate for governor, Attorney General Greg Abbott. When Travis County and the city of Austin were mulling gun show restrictions several months ago, Abbott warned on Twitter that they better start preparing for “a double-barreled lawsuit.”

Abbott spokesman Matt Hirsch says the attorney general “opposes any new laws or ordinances — local, state or federal — to limit the rights of law-abiding gun owners.” That’s not going to change if Abbott becomes governor, Hirsch said.

“As an avid hunter and member of the Texas State Rifle Association and National Rifle Association, Greg Abbott will continue to fight for the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding Texans,” Hirsch said.

I got this from the NRA . And I though I would share this with all my fellow Texans .

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Last edited by SSGSF; 09-11-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-11-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

She better not run. Although in all honesty I can't see her winning.

(I hope she doesn't win anyway, as I plan on living in Texas within Rees years or so).

Always have clean socks.

People Like This 
Old 09-12-2013, 12:49 AM   #3
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 575

I really don't think Wendy Davis has a snowball's chance in hell ever getting in the governor's seat in Texas. After Ann Richards,that kinda left a bad taste in our mouth's for female/democrats as governor of Texas.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

People Like This 
Old 09-12-2013, 12:52 AM   #4
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7145 Times on 3912 Posts
Likes Given: 14461

There is no exemption from background checks at gun shows.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

People Like This 
Old 09-12-2013, 12:56 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

I think Abbott would win it.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:45 AM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 512 Times on 314 Posts

I think Abbott will Win too

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

People Like This 
Old 09-12-2013, 02:48 AM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
There is no exemption from background checks at gun shows.
exactly! when buying from an FFL holder, whether he's selling to you from his store or at a gun show, there isn't any exemption from a a background check.

now Texas does allow FTF sales of firearms and i have done a few in the past at gun shows myself.

i too can't see her getting the required number of votes in Texas to become governor. we like guns way too much to put up with her nonsense.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #8

Liked 515 Times on 278 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Wendy Davis had her 15 minutes of fame. Her famous filibuster was overturned and as details emerged the legislation she was opposed to actually would make abortion safer. Apparently the idea that we should put any limits on abortion is so scary to the pro-choice crowd that they'd rather risk women's lives than have a single clinic shut down.

Disgusting.

Maybe if I was less cynical I'd say they just perceived the issue as being anti-abortion and so stood against it. Or maybe they really think abortion in the last trimester is ok, which is also disgusting. Most Texans are AGAINST late term abortions so she was hardly standing up for the majority. She did a great job of representing a very vocal minority.

She also gave Texans a good view of what she is all about. I'm not against a Democratic governor, but the Dems have not run a decent candidate in a very long time. Rick Perry did well by Texas but I never cared for him. Problem is that the Dems ran the most pathetic candidates against him. He never faced a credible opponent his entire run.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 09-13-2013, 12:56 AM   #9
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 575

I've always said " I'm too poor to be a Republican,and too smart to be a Democrat",and it has almost always been a very true statement.

Democrat's have always leaned way too far to the left,and seem to think that the citizens need them to tell us what to do,and how to live. And,then they always sneak taxes into every bill that they propose,while saying they're for the working class,which is a complete lie. They all want total control of everything the citizens do.

Republican's have always been good for business,and promote a stable,growing economy. They also love their taxes,but in general the economy is in a growing state,and wages always seem to grow along with their new taxes.

Texan's are used to having a booming economy,and there's no way a Democrat will get the governor's office unless something major changes.
I wish the state official's would stop inviting all the damn Liberal's to move here,those of us that are "Native" Texan's has absolutely zero use for any damn Liberals inside the state lines of Texas.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-13-2013, 01:07 AM   #10

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I see the current Gov. Perry of Texas inviting "Blue" state refugees to move to Texas. Big mistake. It will be like the Canadian Wolves the Liberals placed in the Mountain States. The difference is we are now allowed to shoot the invasive Democrat Dogs.