Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Texas Gun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f156/)
-   -   Good Gun Shop in Houston (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f156/good-gun-shop-houston-60838/)

Kamarathin 03-22-2012 09:33 PM

Good Gun Shop in Houston

Hello all,

I'm looking for recommendations for a solid gun shop in Houston. I currently live on the northwest side near the 6.

My friends swear by Collector's Firearms and I do like the store, but their prices are pretty high.

Any and all comments are welcome.

Axxe55 03-22-2012 09:44 PM

when i lived in Houston years ago, i did a lot of shopping at Carter's Country. their prices were decent and they always had a good selection of firearms to choose from. there use to be three of them around Houston and they were pretty big stores. one even had a bargain rack and i bought a couple of bargain rifles and refinished them. bought a lot of 12ga ammo there when we were doing sporting clays. might see if they are still around.

Kamarathin 03-22-2012 09:48 PM

They definitely are and I think they're up to 4 stores now.

I'll look into them.

truevil1313 04-02-2012 06:24 PM

Carter's Country is still around. Their prices are lower than Collectors, but still higher than the big chain stores. I have bought two pistols from Carter's, just because I couldn,t find them elsewhere.
I have had some good luck with Fountians Firearms.
I have heard really good thigs about Republic Firearms.
Nobody though can beat the prices Academy sells their firearms for, if they have what you are looking for.

Axxe55 04-03-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truevil1313 (Post 759471)
Carter's Country is still around. Their prices are lower than Collectors, but still higher than the big chain stores. I have bought two pistols from Carter's, just because I couldn,t find them elsewhere.
I have had some good luck with Fountians Firearms.
I have heard really good thigs about Republic Firearms.
Nobody though can beat the prices Academy sells their firearms for, if they have what you are looking for.

how many of the Carter Country's are there now? there were only three when i lived there many years ago. i really liked going in their stores, as they had a good selection and were well stocked. and their prices were decent also.

i bought a Remington 870 Express at Academy in Houston years ago. they had some decent prices too.

johnbrowning 04-11-2012 06:57 PM

Memorial/Spring Branch
Murphy Rd HWY 59
Spring store w/shooting range
Pasadena

truevil1313 04-12-2012 02:15 PM

I have heard great things from two of my close friends about Tactical Firearms in Katy.
Both told me the people were very nice, the store had a great selection, and the prices are guarenteed to be the cheapest.

Kamarathin 04-29-2012 12:31 AM

Do you folks know what the transfer fees are for some of these shops?

I know that Collectors is $85 + taxes and I'm not sure if that is pricey or not.

gollygee 04-29-2012 06:25 PM

That sounds way high! Transfers here in my area of east Texas run for nothing up to $35! But then, I guess everthang's higher in houston. :)

Kamarathin 04-30-2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truevil1313 (Post 768780)
I have heard great things from two of my close friends about Tactical Firearms in Katy.
Both told me the people were very nice, the store had a great selection, and the prices are guarenteed to be the cheapest.

Visited these guys yesterday and I am a convert. Excellent store and though my first sales rep was a nice combination of apathetic and arrogant, the second rep I spoke to (Neil) was fantastic and single handedly won my wife and I over. :D