Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Texas Gun Forum > FTF transactions....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default FTF transactions....

Hey y'all....I am selling a handgun online. I have an interested buyer. Cool , so far. The sticky part is that he works at jobs on a yearly basis as he works for a large company and has to move around. OK, so he currently lives in Houston area and has a lease on an apartment. But he has a Florida DL, and not a Texas one. Is the lease good enough to be a resident, and a FTF would be legal? HD states he's done a few FTF's already. I just want to do the right thing. Any help on this one? Thank you! Paul F.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"A man has got to know his limitations....." - Clint

NRA Life Member

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 17038 Times on 9851 Posts
Likes Given: 44273

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeshoreShooter View Post
Hey y'all....I am selling a handgun online. I have an interested buyer. Cool , so far. The sticky part is that he works at jobs on a yearly basis as he works for a large company and has to move around. OK, so he currently lives in Houston area and has a lease on an apartment. But he has a Florida DL, and not a Texas one. Is the lease good enough to be a resident, and a FTF would be legal? HD states he's done a few FTF's already. I just want to do the right thing. Any help on this one? Thank you! Paul F.
i am going to take a wild stab at this. i would say if he has a Florida DL, then that would be his state of residence. so IMO, it would have to go through an FFL to be legal because he's an out of state resident.

hopefully C3 or one of the others more versed in this will step in a clarify it for you to keep you legal.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #3

Liked 3731 Times on 1821 Posts
Likes Given: 13267

I'm going to agree with axxe55 ... and his suggestion to go through an FFL is not a bad idea anyhow

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

My AR15 Build - Range Report
My AR458SOCOM Build

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
I'm going to agree with axxe55 ... and his suggestion to go through an FFL is not a bad idea anyhow
yes i have to agree with that too. if the guy has any reservations about going through an FFL, then that could be huge red flag and reason to back out of the deal. just a suggestion.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:37 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7622 Times on 3317 Posts
Likes Given: 1130

You CAN have more than 1 legal residence for the purpose of buying a firearm (I once had 3 at the same time). Is he a resident of Texas? Damifino- and neither do you.

Transfer thru a FFL (dealer) there in Texas. However, I'll bet you a beer he geeks on the deal- which, as said, is a HUGE red flag. If he can't show the dealer that he is legally a Texas resident- he ain't.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 02-11-2013, 12:42 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
You CAN have more than 1 legal residence for the purpose of buying a firearm (I once had 3 at the same time). Is he a resident of Texas? Damifino- and neither do you.

Transfer thru a FFL (dealer) there in Texas. However, I'll bet you a beer he geeks on the deal- which, as said, is a HUGE red flag. If he can't show the dealer that he is legally a Texas resident- he ain't.
C3, i have question pertaining to that. if he has a Florida DL, and they went to an FFL and his NCIS check was clear can he then buy it?

Old 02-11-2013, 12:48 AM   #7

Liked 39 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I know a few people with Florida drives licenses with addresses for other states.

You could look at it this way, the feds say that crap like utility bills are good enough to prove residency for voting, right?

J

Old 02-11-2013, 12:59 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7622 Times on 3317 Posts
Likes Given: 1130

Axxe- it is up to the dealer (transfer of responsibility) to verify he is eligible for the transfer. And yes, he may indeed be a bonafide resident of Texas. But it takes more than 1 document.

In my case, I was active duty Army. Home of Record (and my D.L. and voter ID) was Virginia. However, I had permanant change of station orders for Ft. Benning GA. But I actually resided just over state line (apartment lease, utility bills) in Alabama. See what I mean?

The 01 and 02 Dealers here can comment on what constitutes a valid means of showing state of residence- but the OP is not a dealer, and can easily get out of his depth. Doing transfer thru dealer shifts that to the dealer.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-11-2013, 01:20 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

OK, I saw something in my profile that I forgot to change last year when I moved from Delaware, to Texas. I am a resident in Texas. Does that make a difference now? Not sure if y'all were basing your answers on that little tidbit. I changed it now in my profile, but certainly important. I do appreciate all the replies. And i just emailed him telling him we had to go through an FFL. I actually feel better for doing it. Thanks!
Paul

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"A man has got to know his limitations....." - Clint

NRA Life Member

Old 02-18-2013, 12:23 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2281 Times on 1196 Posts
Likes Given: 160

He may be a resident of Texas, but he is not a LEGAL resident of Texas. He is required to register his vehicle(s) in Texas and get a Texas DL w/in 30 days of declaring residency. If he is gainfully employed here and not active duty Military or a full time student, he is not a LEGAL resident.

Back away.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball