Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Texas Gun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f156/)
-   -   FTF transactions.... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f156/ftf-transactions-83905/)

LakeshoreShooter 02-10-2013 10:18 PM

FTF transactions....

Hey y'all....I am selling a handgun online. I have an interested buyer. Cool , so far. The sticky part is that he works at jobs on a yearly basis as he works for a large company and has to move around. OK, so he currently lives in Houston area and has a lease on an apartment. But he has a Florida DL, and not a Texas one. Is the lease good enough to be a resident, and a FTF would be legal? HD states he's done a few FTF's already. I just want to do the right thing. Any help on this one? Thank you! Paul F.

Axxe55 02-10-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LakeshoreShooter (Post 1132617)
Hey y'all....I am selling a handgun online. I have an interested buyer. Cool , so far. The sticky part is that he works at jobs on a yearly basis as he works for a large company and has to move around. OK, so he currently lives in Houston area and has a lease on an apartment. But he has a Florida DL, and not a Texas one. Is the lease good enough to be a resident, and a FTF would be legal? HD states he's done a few FTF's already. I just want to do the right thing. Any help on this one? Thank you! Paul F.

i am going to take a wild stab at this. i would say if he has a Florida DL, then that would be his state of residence. so IMO, it would have to go through an FFL to be legal because he's an out of state resident.

hopefully C3 or one of the others more versed in this will step in a clarify it for you to keep you legal.

dog2000tj 02-10-2013 10:26 PM

I'm going to agree with axxe55 ... and his suggestion to go through an FFL is not a bad idea anyhow :)

Axxe55 02-10-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dog2000tj (Post 1132629)
I'm going to agree with axxe55 ... and his suggestion to go through an FFL is not a bad idea anyhow :)

yes i have to agree with that too. if the guy has any reservations about going through an FFL, then that could be huge red flag and reason to back out of the deal. just a suggestion.

c3shooter 02-11-2013 12:37 AM

You CAN have more than 1 legal residence for the purpose of buying a firearm (I once had 3 at the same time). Is he a resident of Texas? Damifino- and neither do you.

Transfer thru a FFL (dealer) there in Texas. However, I'll bet you a beer he geeks on the deal- which, as said, is a HUGE red flag. If he can't show the dealer that he is legally a Texas resident- he ain't.

Axxe55 02-11-2013 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 1132763)
You CAN have more than 1 legal residence for the purpose of buying a firearm (I once had 3 at the same time). Is he a resident of Texas? Damifino- and neither do you.

Transfer thru a FFL (dealer) there in Texas. However, I'll bet you a beer he geeks on the deal- which, as said, is a HUGE red flag. If he can't show the dealer that he is legally a Texas resident- he ain't.

C3, i have question pertaining to that. if he has a Florida DL, and they went to an FFL and his NCIS check was clear can he then buy it?

JosephMD 02-11-2013 12:48 AM

I know a few people with Florida drives licenses with addresses for other states.

You could look at it this way, the feds say that crap like utility bills are good enough to prove residency for voting, right?

J

c3shooter 02-11-2013 12:59 AM

Axxe- it is up to the dealer (transfer of responsibility) to verify he is eligible for the transfer. And yes, he may indeed be a bonafide resident of Texas. But it takes more than 1 document.

In my case, I was active duty Army. Home of Record (and my D.L. and voter ID) was Virginia. However, I had permanant change of station orders for Ft. Benning GA. But I actually resided just over state line (apartment lease, utility bills) in Alabama. See what I mean?

The 01 and 02 Dealers here can comment on what constitutes a valid means of showing state of residence- but the OP is not a dealer, and can easily get out of his depth. Doing transfer thru dealer shifts that to the dealer.

LakeshoreShooter 02-11-2013 01:20 AM

OK, I saw something in my profile that I forgot to change last year when I moved from Delaware, to Texas. I am a resident in Texas. Does that make a difference now? Not sure if y'all were basing your answers on that little tidbit. I changed it now in my profile, but certainly important. I do appreciate all the replies. And i just emailed him telling him we had to go through an FFL. I actually feel better for doing it. Thanks!
Paul

robocop10mm 02-18-2013 12:23 AM

He may be a resident of Texas, but he is not a LEGAL resident of Texas. He is required to register his vehicle(s) in Texas and get a Texas DL w/in 30 days of declaring residency. If he is gainfully employed here and not active duty Military or a full time student, he is not a LEGAL resident.

Back away.