Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Pennsylvania Gun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f151/)
-   -   Western PA Faithful (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f151/western-pa-faithful-58028/)

jefferis 02-17-2012 10:43 PM

Western PA Faithful

Hi all. Great idea. I am 57 years old, hunted since I was 16, my first memories of shooting were practicing in my grandfather's pistol range in his basement. He was a retired Lt. Col, a WWII vet who was Chief of Orthopaedics at Walter Reed during the war. I had felt the weight of that training, as he was teaching me the importance of learning to defend the Constitution and the Second Amendment. I moved out here as a pastor in 1985, but being pro-life and evangelical, it was not a good fit for an old country Presbyterian church whose membership was limited by blood family. Anyone else was an outsider. That included my wife, raised Catholic, whom some ladies in the congregation would not speak to for 2 years because of that! Anyway, I went on to work in sales and eventually in web design to make a living and pastor for free.
Hey Admin, do you have advertising banners now only for the state forums? I've a client who might be interested in the local advertising.... finally!

wjnfirearms 02-18-2012 12:41 AM

Hi neighbor! I'm 55, retired from 34 years in public safety and counter terrorism. Also, used to teach for CCAC's Public Safety Institute (I miss that). I'm currently involved in community corrections (for now) and run a small fireams dealership branching now into training since I obtained my instructor's cert. I'm also a proud Freemason. Classes, anyone? Formerly from Pittsburgh, now a transplant to Worth Township, Butler County and glad for it. I've been handiling fireams since I was 12 with my dad when we would go to the Allegheny Country Rifle Club in Millvale. I'm not into hunting, even though I used to, but love target. My dad was a proud WWII vet from the European Theatre and my father in law, a demo expert in the Pacific. The wife was a squid herself and one of the original members of the "Women at Sea" program, the first females to serve on board ship. I'm really proud of her. Maybe this is part of the reason that my favorite gun I own is an M1 Carbine and my 1911 is right up there also.

Thanks, admin, for setting these sub forums up!

jefferis 02-18-2012 02:59 PM

Nice to meet you. Where do you do your trainings? I am interested in pistol defense for home/concealed carry protection. I practice at the Butler City Hunting and Fishing Club where I'm a member... but that is pretty much static training. Jeff Nesbit is a friend of mine, who own's Nesbit's guns in N. Castle and whose website I did. I set up his Facebook account for him, thinking we could advertise on it, but they "don't allow" gun stores to advertise, per se. We had our ads rejected, but I see Cabelas and firearms repair guys gets ads snuck through. Google won't let you advertise either. That is why I'm interested in the state forums for advertising. I've been doing some layman's reviews for his website as well, writing articles for his site and for one of my blogs.
Do you know if the new laws they passed in Ohio finally recognize the PA concealed carry? The hunting club is offering a course for the Utah permit...

Alchymist 02-18-2012 04:27 PM

Hi all,,
Just checking in from central PA. Unfortunately not far enough from Philadelphia, :( but then you guys aren't that far from Pittsburgh. At least Pittsburgh isn't a "city of the first class"!:rolleyes:

wjnfirearms 02-18-2012 08:51 PM

Jefferis, I going to be doing the training here. I have the property to do it in.

Yeah, unfortunately FB is pretty much anti gun. They seem to let you put up FB pages, but no advertising in relations to firearms. Kinda hypocritical, isn't it.

No, Ohio doesn't recognize our CCW permits. Even though Corbett, when he was still AG, got reciprocity with more states than his predicessor (24 to be exact in total), he couldn't get Ohio to get on board. One of the issues with reciprocity is that Pennsylvania doesn't require training to get a permit and other states do. Some of the states don't care if they grant reciprocity with ones that don't, some like Ohio do. There may be other reasons also, which shouldn't surprise anyone. In fact, the only state surrounding our borders that recognize it is W. Va. It is a PITA. I'm going to have to get a Utah one myself one of these days. One of my goals in the forseeable future is to have one of the Utah instructors do a class for the training entity I and a cohort has been putting together to do general public safety training. The training is mostly for public safety professionals (police, EMS, etc.), but this one will be for anyone interested if I can pull it off. I have a phone number for an instructor locally and I'll have to see what can be done probably after winter. I also belong to Moraine Sportsmens up toward Slippery Rock and I'm going to approach the board to see if I can do the permit classes there. It would be good exposure to the club. The web site USA Carry has maps for permit reciprocity on there state by state on who honors whoms (did I say that right?).

markshere2 02-20-2012 02:24 PM

howdy.
USAF retiree, living north of oil city now.

As somebody who remembers his oath to defend the constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic, I got into guns again in late 2008 for obvious reasons.

Reloading, casting my own bullets and trying to live the Boy Scout motto... "Be prepared"

Happy to have a bullet trap in the backyard to recycle lead - gotta "be green", ya know

There are several Utah CCW courses in the area and Utah has the most reciprocal states, including Ohio.

PAFOA is a great Online resource for PA shooters. http://forum.pafoa.org/

I do know a guy near Butler that runs a private training range . Let me know if you want his contact info

jon1992d 02-22-2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markshere2
howdy.
USAF retiree, living north of oil city now.

As somebody who remembers his oath to defend the constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic, I got into guns again in late 2008 for obvious reasons.

Reloading, casting my own bullets and trying to live the Boy Scout motto... "Be prepared"

Happy to have a bullet trap in the backyard to recycle lead - gotta "be green", ya know

There are several Utah CCW courses in the area and Utah has the most reciprocal states, including Ohio.

PAFOA is a great Online resource for PA shooters. http://forum.pafoa.org/

I do know a guy near Butler that runs a private training range . Let me know if you want his contact info

When you say private training range do you mean stationary shooting like all other ranges or do you mean acual tactical training? I havent been able to find any tactical training ranges in western pa.

markshere2 02-23-2012 09:53 PM

here's that training range

http://www.angelfire.com/ultra/pdt001/