Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Oregon Gun Forum > Restoring Gun Rights in Oregon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Restoring Gun Rights in Oregon

Most people know that if you have certain criminal convictions, including a felony, you cannot possess a firearm under state and federal law. There is a legal way to restore your second amendment rights in Oregon. You can either seek an expungement or restoration of those rights. If you would like more information, send me a PM.

The Federal Government has a way to restore federal rights too but due to budget cuts they have suspended processing these applications and have not processed an application for years. These are not denials and you cannot "appeal" this process. However, because of this the feds have also said that they will not prosecute someone whose had their rights restored under state law unless that person is committing some other federal crime at the same time.

If you'd like to know more about any of this, send me a PM.

Todd

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19474 Times on 11063 Posts
Likes Given: 49082

please go into more detail about this. i am sure that others would like to hear about this as well.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
please go into more detail about this. i am sure that others would like to hear about this as well.
If a person is convicted of a felony, certain misdemeanors or domestic violence related crimes, they are prohibited from possessing or purchasing a firearm under federal and Oregon law. You may have a legal way to restore those rights. Restoration of your rights in Oregon, only protects you in Oregon. Should you want to possess/purchase in another state, you must check with those state laws.

Oregon provides for two ways to restore these rights:

1. Expungement of criminal convictions

A person may expunge a criminal conviction for most misdemeanors except sex crimes and child abuse and most felonies except class A felonies. There are limitations based upon time of conviction and number of convictions.

2. Restoration of rights, despite a criminal conviction

ORS 166.274 provides a mechanism to restore your rights. You may qualify if you have a felony, not including person felonies or measure 11. Even if you have certain person felonies such as felony assault IV or assault III, there are other ways to regain your rights such as reducing the felony to a misdemeanor.

Restoring your rights under ORS 166.274 also restores your ability to obtain a concealed carry permit. A person with a criminal conviction in Oregon is often barred from conceal carry, even if its a misdemeanor. You can expunge the conviction or restore your rights and thus obtain your conceal carry permit.

***DISCLAIMER*** - This is general information and not intended to be legal advice. This information should not be relied upon when making a decision to purchase or possess a firearm. If you think you are prohibited from possessing a firearm under state or federal law, you should speak with an attorney to learn your specific rights. If you have specific questions regarding your rights, please send me a PM and I can try to answer your specific questions or we can speak over the phone.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:37 AM   #4

Liked 1629 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 1086

Are you an attorney?

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:13 AM   #5

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I doubt you would ever pass a Federal Back Ground Check.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:25 AM   #6

maybe i am not up to speed on all the federal gun laws, (after all, i am not a lawyer!) but NCIC Background check is done at the federal level, so if this doesn't allow a person to legally purchase or possess in another state other than Oregon, then how can it be legal in Oregon?

now here are facts that i do know.

1. the 4473 Form is a federal form.
2. the NCIC background check is done at the federal level.

so if this "expungement" doesn't meet the federal requirements, but only those at the state level, then, unless i am incorrect, (please do if i am, and show me exactly where) then purchasing or possessing a firearm is still a federal firearms violation.

now IIRC, an expungement that meets the criteria for the BATF, is valid in any state, not just the state in which the original criminal act occured. also, IIRC, and expungement or pardon has to be done in the state and county where the original conviction was recieved.

now i'm not trying to be a douchebag, just looking for claification and understanding of what you are offering people.

nitestalker Likes This 
Old 11-30-2013, 03:12 AM   #7

Quote:
expungement or pardon has to be done in the state and county where the original conviction was recieved.

now i'm not trying to be a douchebag, just looking for claification and understanding of what you are offering people.
Correct - Expungement must be filed in the county the crime occurred.

As for federal laws, there is an exception under 18 U.S.C. 921 (a)(33)(B) for expungement and "for which the person...has had civil rights restored (if the law of the applicable jurisdiction provides for the loss of civil rights under such an offense)."

So when a person has rights restored in Oregon, or convictions expunged, they can still purchase and possess a firearm. They can also get a CCL.

Technically a person with their rights restored but still have a felony conviction, cannot possess a firearm under federal law. However, government does not prosecute people for this offense unless the possession is in connection with another federal crime such as drug dealing, gun smuggling etc.

I am a criminal defense lawyer, and gun owner, and also help people get their second amendment rights back either through expungement or restoration of those rights. I realized most people who have lost their second amendment rights due to a restraining order or criminal conviction do not know they can get these rights back. I've spoken with many firearms dealers who are unaware of this process as well.

Last edited by thuegli; 11-30-2013 at 03:16 AM.

Old 11-30-2013, 03:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
I doubt you would ever pass a Federal Back Ground Check.
Depending on what you are applying for, correct. Unfortunately, even an expungement can prevent you from reaching certain security clearance levels.

Although with as many felons working as TSA agents as we have, who knows!

Old 11-30-2013, 03:20 AM   #9

well you may be a lawyer, and i know i'm not, and my record is clean, but IMO, if it doesn't fly in other states, i still see a problem at the federal level.

i'll let other proceed at their own risk on this. goodnight to all. i am done with this thread.

Old 11-30-2013, 03:28 AM   #10

Quote:
well you may be a lawyer, and i know i'm not, and my record is clean, but IMO, if it doesn't fly in other states, i still see a problem at the federal level.

i'll let other proceed at their own risk on this. goodnight to all. i am done with this thread.
A person who restores their rights under state law, is safe in that state and at the federal level. Other states however, may not honor restoration from a different state.