Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Oregon Gun Forum > Oregon Militia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default Oregon Militia

I there anyone connected with the Militia in the Portland area. I would like to get involved but the only meet and greets seem to be out in eastern OR.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Depends on your definition of "militia." You may want to become familiar with Oregon Revised Statutes; 166.660 Unlawful paramilitary activity. If you are looking for meeting up with shooters and militia in the classic sense (we are all militia) look for gun clubs and ranges and get to know folks.

166.660 Unlawful paramilitary activity. (1) A person commits the crime of unlawful paramilitary activity if the person:
(b) Assembles with one or more other persons for the purpose of training with, practicing with or being instructed in the use of any firearm, explosive or incendiary device or technique capable of causing injury or death to persons with the intent to unlawfully employ such firearm, explosive or incendiary device or technique in a civil disorder.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved
Original Likes This 
Old 01-29-2013, 05:02 PM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

To follow up, in my estimation I think this may not be in compliance with the US First Amendment, right of assembly, but I'm not a lawyer or constitutional expert, and don't know if it's been challenged.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 01-29-2013, 09:08 PM   #4

So it is illegal according to intent? Who determines the intent? I am looking to generate what I refer to as "Local Tactical Support" where I and say 5 others in my neighborhood could train for different situations, and then in a emergency situation know that we can depend on each other.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:25 AM   #5

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Sounds like neighbors getting together to protect each other from crime.

Unlawful, Heck NO. Smart and responsible? Heck YES.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:21 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The term "Militia" scares some people. I prefer the term "Mutual Assistance Group or MAG".

Personally, I'd rather have a loose knit group of friends and neighbors.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #7

MAG huh ok

Old 03-09-2013, 06:27 AM   #8

Liked 50 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGULON
MAG huh ok
I'm in the Portland area and would like to hang out with like minded shooters. I did something similar down in so cal before I moved state. Ended up with 60-80 people hitting the desert every 3 months for camping shooting etc... Had a blast but it was viewed as a militia which can sometimes create negative connotations. The BLM guys regularly gave us a hard time.

I'm in SW portland now days and regular shooting get togethers where we can share knowledge and experience on different topics such as marksmanship, hunting and woodsman skills can only be a good thing as long as its done safely.

I'm in. Anyone else?

Old 03-10-2013, 09:58 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by britishbulldog View Post
I'm in. Anyone else?
I wouldn't mind doing a camping/shooting trip like that. I live in salem.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1784 Times on 1168 Posts
Likes Given: 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer461 View Post
To follow up, in my estimation I think this may not be in compliance with the US First Amendment, right of assembly, but I'm not a lawyer or constitutional expert, and don't know if it's been challenged.
I believe this might be the key phrase in the section of law quoted:

166.660 Unlawful paramilitary activity. (1) A person commits the crime of unlawful paramilitary activity if the person:
(b) Assembles with one or more other persons for the purpose of training with, practicing with or being instructed in the use of any firearm, explosive or incendiary device or technique capable of causing injury or death to persons "with the intent to unlawfully employ such firearm, explosive or incendiary device or technique in a civil disorder."

Otherwise Clint and Heidi Smith at Thunder Ranch in Oregon would be in violation of the law.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Last edited by DFlynt; 03-10-2013 at 10:23 PM.