Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Oregon Gun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f150/)
-   -   Oregon Militia (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f150/oregon-militia-82235/)

GREGULON 01-23-2013 06:38 PM

Oregon Militia

I there anyone connected with the Militia in the Portland area. I would like to get involved but the only meet and greets seem to be out in eastern OR.

pioneer461 01-29-2013 05:51 PM

Depends on your definition of "militia." You may want to become familiar with Oregon Revised Statutes; 166.660 Unlawful paramilitary activity. If you are looking for meeting up with shooters and militia in the classic sense (we are all militia) look for gun clubs and ranges and get to know folks.

166.660 Unlawful paramilitary activity. (1) A person commits the crime of unlawful paramilitary activity if the person:
(b) Assembles with one or more other persons for the purpose of training with, practicing with or being instructed in the use of any firearm, explosive or incendiary device or technique capable of causing injury or death to persons with the intent to unlawfully employ such firearm, explosive or incendiary device or technique in a civil disorder.

pioneer461 01-29-2013 06:02 PM

To follow up, in my estimation I think this may not be in compliance with the US First Amendment, right of assembly, but I'm not a lawyer or constitutional expert, and don't know if it's been challenged.

GREGULON 01-29-2013 10:08 PM

So it is illegal according to intent? Who determines the intent? I am looking to generate what I refer to as "Local Tactical Support" where I and say 5 others in my neighborhood could train for different situations, and then in a emergency situation know that we can depend on each other.

Original 02-17-2013 03:25 AM

Sounds like neighbors getting together to protect each other from crime.

Unlawful, Heck NO. Smart and responsible? Heck YES.:)

CA357 02-17-2013 05:21 AM

The term "Militia" scares some people. I prefer the term "Mutual Assistance Group or MAG".

Personally, I'd rather have a loose knit group of friends and neighbors.

GREGULON 02-17-2013 10:39 AM

MAG huh ok

britishbulldog 03-09-2013 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GREGULON
MAG huh ok

I'm in the Portland area and would like to hang out with like minded shooters. I did something similar down in so cal before I moved state. Ended up with 60-80 people hitting the desert every 3 months for camping shooting etc... Had a blast but it was viewed as a militia which can sometimes create negative connotations. The BLM guys regularly gave us a hard time.

I'm in SW portland now days and regular shooting get togethers where we can share knowledge and experience on different topics such as marksmanship, hunting and woodsman skills can only be a good thing as long as its done safely.

I'm in. Anyone else?

Jericho1911u22 03-10-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by britishbulldog (Post 1169471)
I'm in. Anyone else?

I wouldn't mind doing a camping/shooting trip like that. I live in salem.

DFlynt 03-10-2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pioneer461 (Post 1115074)
To follow up, in my estimation I think this may not be in compliance with the US First Amendment, right of assembly, but I'm not a lawyer or constitutional expert, and don't know if it's been challenged.

I believe this might be the key phrase in the section of law quoted:

166.660 Unlawful paramilitary activity. (1) A person commits the crime of unlawful paramilitary activity if the person:
(b) Assembles with one or more other persons for the purpose of training with, practicing with or being instructed in the use of any firearm, explosive or incendiary device or technique capable of causing injury or death to persons "with the intent to unlawfully employ such firearm, explosive or incendiary device or technique in a civil disorder."

Otherwise Clint and Heidi Smith at Thunder Ranch in Oregon would be in violation of the law.