You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Oregon Gun Forum >

On my way..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2015, 02:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default On my way..

Hey Guys, I'm moving to Oregon in August and just had a couple questions. Is open carry legal? If so, is it frowned upon or a regular thing? Also, how long do you think it would take to obtain my CCW? Looking forward to pickup an NFA firearm before that goes away there too.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-26-2015, 06:33 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Welcome to Orygun

Open carry is legal but frowned upon. You do not need a CCW to carry concealed while engaging in or going to & from a hunting or fishing expedition or shooting competition (provided you are licensed to hunt or fish). Use your head. If you want to pack a pistol openly while out camping or recreating, then no biggie but I wouldn't take it to a public event or you will be questioned by police as to why you are doing so. It probably takes about a mont to get your permit. Check with any sheriff's office and they will have a website page with the particulars. We are a "shall issue" state without reciprocity. Many get both the Oregon permit and the Utah permit which then multiplies the number of states who recognize your right to carry.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:07 PM   #3
Forum Chaplain
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1991 Times on 1260 Posts
Likes Given: 1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
Open carry is legal but frowned upon. You do not need a CCW to carry concealed while engaging in or going to & from a hunting or fishing expedition or shooting competition (provided you are licensed to hunt or fish). Use your head. If you want to pack a pistol openly while out camping or recreating, then no biggie but I wouldn't take it to a public event or you will be questioned by police as to why you are doing so. It probably takes about a mont to get your permit. Check with any sheriff's office and they will have a website page with the particulars. We are a "shall issue" state without reciprocity. Many get both the Oregon permit and the Utah permit which then multiplies the number of states who recognize your right to carry.
As an EX Washingtonian that spent a considerable time in Oregon ( but to be COMPLETELY HONEST I've been in Alaska for the past 21 years), it largely depends on the area of the state. Portland and the surrounding area are BLUE and progressive as they can be, Eugene is a college town, and East of the Cascades in rural, farm and field, "don't step on my toes and I'll leave you alone" types. Please understand this is all in generalities, as some very conservative folks live in Portland.
Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend. Prv. 27:17

Old 07-02-2015, 12:05 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 760 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 1542

Get your Oregon drivers lisc asap. You can purchase firearms after being a resident for 90 days.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:14 PM   #5
Forum Chaplain

Mongo, this was MY evaluation of Oregon. Is it a valid evaluation to YOUR thinking? Or am I off base? Not trying to argue, as I want to know how my view compares to others in the know.
it largely depends on the area of the state. Portland and the surrounding area are BLUE and progressive as they can be, Eugene is a college town, and East of the Cascades in rural, farm and field, "don't step on my toes and I'll leave you alone" types. Please understand this is all in generalities, as some very conservative folks live in Portland.
Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend. Prv. 27:17

Old 07-10-2015, 03:38 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Your description is accurate. You can read the local forum that is focused on Oregon, Washington and Idaho. There is a lot of info and current discussion of firearms, outdoors and legal issues. northwestfirearms.com

Old 07-12-2015, 07:58 AM   #7
Forum Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
Your description is accurate. You can read the local forum that is focused on Oregon, Washington and Idaho. There is a lot of info and current discussion of firearms, outdoors and legal issues. northwestfirearms.com
Thanks Mongo, I joined as ArtBrownSr. and told them I was directed there by someone on THIS forum.
That way if I kick sand in someones face they'll blame this forum for sending me

Old 07-12-2015, 02:59 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I'm a supporting member of this forum. I'm not a supporting member of that one because the moderators will close a thread for any reason in their rules. There does not have to be name calling or threats involved. They are not as bad as THR but close.

Old 07-12-2015, 03:29 PM   #9
Forum Chaplain

I'll try to keep my nose clean but my ego and mouth tend to stir things up.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:14 AM   #10

Liked 590 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 536

Open carry is legal in the state. Cities, such as Portland, may have their own ordinances (as in , NO) The CCW shouldn't be a problem as Oregon is a "shall issue" state. On average about 30 days for your card to arrive. It will depend on your county, however.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson