Moving to Oregon
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Oregon Gun Forum > Moving to Oregon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 04:37 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Moving to Oregon

Hey all, I have a possible job opprotunity in Oregon. I currently live in Washington state and have a CCW. I know that getting one in Oregon is very very very difficult and even frustrating. My question is, does anyone know if there are any bans on assault-style weapons. I have several. For example, M1A match, AR, AK, and SKS. Also, are there any of those stupid clip regulations?

Thanks in advance!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2725 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 1388

pseudolos,

I do not know about any at this time. But if I were you I would look elsewhere! Oregon politics has become ultra-liberal in their views. And if it continues the laws that the liberals are attempting to pass in Oregon are very similar and almost identical to California's and we know how Sc**ed up those are. I have a couple of good friends there that are police officers and trainers and they advise it is continually getting worse and leaning farther and farther to the left! Bottom line I would think twice before I moved to a state where the political officials are anti Second Amendment. In fact I would not!
And good luck on the job search if you are needing one. If you have one I believe I would stay in Washington State until I found another offer or one somewhere else. Good luck on whatever decision you make!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 07-19-2013, 03:41 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 300 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 884

Here in Oregon the CHL is easy to get. You can carry any pistol from your collection as they are not listed on your permit. Look at the Oregon Firearms Federation website for info and links (OFF). We don't have any magazine restrictions. Ar's and AK's etc are available but the prices are still high. Private party sales are legal. All the new anti gun laws proposed the year failed to pass.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:13 AM   #4

Machine guns are also legal to posess and shoot if you can navigate the red tape.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #5

I recently moved to Oregon and, frankly, after the horror stories I had heard, I was pleasantly surprised at how easy and quickly I got my license.

I applied on line, in a few weeks I got an appointment at the sherrif's office, had my fingerprints taken, my picture taken and was then handed my license.

I did, however, have to take a 4 hour course from an NRA certified instructor, notwithstanding that I already had a Florida license. I didn't really mind as I learned about Oregon law on the use of deadly force.

When I expressed my surprise, she said that because I applied on line, they had already done the background check.

With that said, however, IMO Oregon's laws on the use of deadly force leave much to be desired.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3087 Times on 1548 Posts
Likes Given: 380

My Step mom moved from WA to OR a few years ago. She didn't seem to have much in the way of a problem with obtaining her permit.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/oregon.pdf

NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Old 07-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #7

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

I may be living in Oregon in the near future. I currently have a ccw for Wisconsin. Wondering if I have to get a new one for Oregon. Or If I'm good just with my wi

Old 07-29-2013, 02:45 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3087 Times on 1548 Posts
Likes Given: 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhaag19 View Post
I may be living in Oregon in the near future. I currently have a ccw for Wisconsin. Wondering if I have to get a new one for Oregon. Or If I'm good just with my wi
According to Handgunlaw.us no out of state permits are honored. To make matters more annoying, they will only issue non-resident permits to border states.
NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Old 11-29-2013, 11:50 PM   #9

Jumping in late to this conversation but Oregon gun laws are not strict, nor is there any real chance of that changing. While Oregon is a "liberal" state it is better described as libertarian and paves its own way. Most of the "liberal" people I know in Oregon, still strongly support second amendment rights and usually own guns themselves.

In Oregon: Firearms are easy to buy, CCL is easy to get etc.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #10

Orygun is a "shall issue" state. That means they have to show a valid reason why they cannot issue a permit. If your nose is clean you will get one. While you are at it, take a class that qualifies you to get a Utah CCL and you can travel from coast to coast and have a valid permit with the two. A few states won't recognize them (CA e.g.) no matter what.