Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Oregon Gun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f150/)
-   -   Moving to Oregon (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f150/moving-oregon-93833/)

pseudolus 07-13-2013 03:37 AM

Moving to Oregon

Hey all, I have a possible job opprotunity in Oregon. I currently live in Washington state and have a CCW. I know that getting one in Oregon is very very very difficult and even frustrating. My question is, does anyone know if there are any bans on assault-style weapons. I have several. For example, M1A match, AR, AK, and SKS. Also, are there any of those stupid clip regulations?

Thanks in advance! :confused:

Sniper03 07-13-2013 03:12 PM

pseudolos,

I do not know about any at this time. But if I were you I would look elsewhere! Oregon politics has become ultra-liberal in their views. And if it continues the laws that the liberals are attempting to pass in Oregon are very similar and almost identical to California's and we know how Sc**ed up those are. I have a couple of good friends there that are police officers and trainers and they advise it is continually getting worse and leaning farther and farther to the left! Bottom line I would think twice before I moved to a state where the political officials are anti Second Amendment. In fact I would not!
And good luck on the job search if you are needing one. If you have one I believe I would stay in Washington State until I found another offer or one somewhere else. Good luck on whatever decision you make!

Mongo 07-19-2013 02:41 AM

Here in Oregon the CHL is easy to get. You can carry any pistol from your collection as they are not listed on your permit. Look at the Oregon Firearms Federation website for info and links (OFF). We don't have any magazine restrictions. Ar's and AK's etc are available but the prices are still high. Private party sales are legal. All the new anti gun laws proposed the year failed to pass.

Hellgate 07-23-2013 02:13 AM

Machine guns are also legal to posess and shoot if you can navigate the red tape.

LProf 07-26-2013 03:21 PM

I recently moved to Oregon and, frankly, after the horror stories I had heard, I was pleasantly surprised at how easy and quickly I got my license.

I applied on line, in a few weeks I got an appointment at the sherrif's office, had my fingerprints taken, my picture taken and was then handed my license.

I did, however, have to take a 4 hour course from an NRA certified instructor, notwithstanding that I already had a Florida license. I didn't really mind as I learned about Oregon law on the use of deadly force.

When I expressed my surprise, she said that because I applied on line, they had already done the background check.

With that said, however, IMO Oregon's laws on the use of deadly force leave much to be desired.

Overkill0084 07-26-2013 03:31 PM

My Step mom moved from WA to OR a few years ago. She didn't seem to have much in the way of a problem with obtaining her permit.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/oregon.pdf

ajhaag19 07-29-2013 12:25 PM

I may be living in Oregon in the near future. I currently have a ccw for Wisconsin. Wondering if I have to get a new one for Oregon. Or If I'm good just with my wi

Overkill0084 07-29-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajhaag19 (Post 1318967)
I may be living in Oregon in the near future. I currently have a ccw for Wisconsin. Wondering if I have to get a new one for Oregon. Or If I'm good just with my wi

According to Handgunlaw.us no out of state permits are honored. To make matters more annoying, they will only issue non-resident permits to border states.

thuegli 11-29-2013 10:50 PM

Jumping in late to this conversation but Oregon gun laws are not strict, nor is there any real chance of that changing. While Oregon is a "liberal" state it is better described as libertarian and paves its own way. Most of the "liberal" people I know in Oregon, still strongly support second amendment rights and usually own guns themselves.

In Oregon: Firearms are easy to buy, CCL is easy to get etc.

Hellgate 11-30-2013 05:48 PM

Orygun is a "shall issue" state. That means they have to show a valid reason why they cannot issue a permit. If your nose is clean you will get one. While you are at it, take a class that qualifies you to get a Utah CCL and you can travel from coast to coast and have a valid permit with the two. A few states won't recognize them (CA e.g.) no matter what.