Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Your thoughts on the Kahr P .380? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/your-thoughts-kahr-p-380-a-13378/)

UnderFire 04-30-2009 03:11 AM

Your thoughts on the Kahr P .380?

I was wondering if any of you own a Kahr P380?

I do. Found one at a gun show a couple of weeks ago and bought it.
I have ran 150 rounds thru it and getting closer to break-in condition as the owner manual describes.
This weapon is the perfect pocket gun-IMO

According to some magazine articles I've read about some loading issues...
Has anyone had problems with their Kahr P380?

gas89 05-11-2009 05:06 AM

kahr probs

Picked a P380 last week. Cleaned and oiled as always. Attempted to run 220 rounds through it. Probably 40 failures. Wont feed, wont extract. Name it. Don't think it is anything I am doing since my LCP which gets identical treatment runs well (occasional light strikes since recall work but that is another story). Only pistol that doesn't function near 100% for me inlcuding a mk9 elite. Will clean and lube and try again but there isn't enough 380 ammo in the state to keep fighting this one. Better in every other way than the LCP. Of course, if it wont run, not even heavy enough to keep paper from blowing away...

UnderFire 05-17-2009 12:01 AM

gas89-

I haven't heard of that many problems with the P.380.
The only problem I've heard of but have not experienced is that the ammo hits the loading chute of the barrel and causes a jam. The loading chute does wear-in within it's recommended "Break-In Period". This was a problem with the first few off the production line. I can only imagine that the problem has been rectified since mine is number 4## off the line.

Sorry to hear about all your problems. Although I own a couple of Kahr's and like their product very much, if I had that many issues I would return it to the dealer for refund or credit.

Joe from N.Y. 08-09-2009 05:19 AM

P380 problems

Quote:

Originally Posted by gas89 (Post 104890)
Picked a P380 last week. Cleaned and oiled as always. Attempted to run 220 rounds through it. Probably 40 failures. Wont feed, wont extract. Name it. .

Man, I had the same problems with my right out of the box P380 the first day I got it. I must say that it was a very discouraging experience. Right from the first round, i experienced jams with numerous failure to feed instances. At first, the magazines would not feed with more than four rounds loaded. They seem to have loosened up after a while, to actually feed six rounds. Upon closer inspection, after a while, i was able to observe that as one inserts a loaded magazine, the end of the slide stop was protruding into the magazine well, and contacting the top of the round, basically obstructing it and thereby preventing it from loading into the barrel chamber properly. i also experienced several instances where the round would jam at about a 45 degree angle between the barrel and rear of the slide. Occasionally the round would make it further into the barrel before jamming with the slide stuck partially back. This necessitated a sharp blow to the rear of the slide with the palm of the left hand to get the slide closed properly.

I called Kahr that evening, and explained my frustrating problems to them. They sent me a prepaid FedEx sticker to Priority Overnight it to them and about 3 weeks later i got it back (they paid shipping again) . It now shoots perfectly. They polished the feed ramp, put a new slide plate, new spring, and probably filed down the slide stop (although they didn't mention it on the list of repairs done). I am quite pleased with their customer service and the gun in general. I carry it everyday in my back pocket in a Nemesis holster and it is the best $600 gun i ever bought. They get an A+ in their effort to keep a customer happy. i could have returned it to the shop i got it from (South Shore Sportsman in Merrick NY, an excellent bunch of guys BTW) but i figured that the factory will give it extra special attention the second time around. All in all i am completely satisfied with the gun and service.

Defender 08-11-2009 10:37 AM

If I were to buy a Kahr, it would be the PM9.

Taazzz 12-10-2009 05:53 PM

Got mine last week, and LOVE IT! After getting it I cleaned & oiled it as if I had been at the range with it all day. I then set off for two different ranges (each would only sell me two boxes of ammo for use on their range only). I also had the box of ammo that I was allowed to purchase with the gun, so was able to put 250 round through it. (100 Blazer, cleaned it again, and then at the next range, 100 Winchester & 50 Remington rounds) Not a single malfunction. Now all I need to do is put a couple of boxes of my chosen carry ammo through it, and it will become my everyday carry, when my PM-9 is not convienient.

ccr203 12-10-2009 07:03 PM

Don't have one, like the idea that of the pocket 380. I have had a few 380s over the years and the only one I have had that was 100% reliable for me was the one I kept. That is the Beretta 85, single stack. Just my 380 experence.

And in Ohio, to find 380 ammo is like finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Stay safe,

Chris

UnderFire 12-15-2009 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe from N.Y. (Post 141497)

I called Kahr that evening, and explained my frustrating problems to them. They sent me a prepaid FedEx sticker to Priority Overnight it to them and about 3 weeks later i got it back (they paid shipping again) . It now shoots perfectly. They polished the feed ramp, put a new slide plate, new spring, and probably filed down the slide stop (although they didn't mention it on the list of repairs done). I am quite pleased with their customer service and the gun in general. I carry it everyday in my back pocket in a Nemesis holster and it is the best $600 gun i ever bought. They get an A+ in their effort to keep a customer happy. i could have returned it to the shop i got it from (South Shore Sportsman in Merrick NY, an excellent bunch of guys BTW) but i figured that the factory will give it extra special attention the second time around. All in all i am completely satisfied with the gun and service.

Joe from N.Y.,
Glad to hear all went well w/ your P380.
I'm just wondering if yours has a low serial number?
I had heard from a Kahr rep. that the first batch off the production line did have issues.

group17 12-15-2009 12:33 PM

I like the look of Kahr's and have read good things about them.
Hopefully yours can be put back into working order.

I wouldn't have the patience to go through 40 FTF out of 200+ rounds, especially with a $600 gun. Hope it comes back fixed from Kahr.

I have a Bersa duo 380T that has been totally reliable. Really fits the hand well and It only cost me $220NIB. The hardest thing about a 380 is finding reasonably priced ammo.
My brother bought a slightly used Beretta 84BB 380 for $300 which is about the same size as my Bersa. That also shoots great and has been very reliable.
Seems to be a lot of new 380's being made out there.

UnderFire 12-17-2009 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by group17 (Post 199726)
I wouldn't have the patience to go through 40 FTF out of 200+ rounds, especially with a $600 gun. Hope it comes back fixed from Kahr.

This isn't a regular problem with the P380. They're a great gun, pricey, but worth having if you want a .380 for backup/pocket carry.
For some reason the first batch off the production line had issues.
One remedy was to redesign the loading chute.
I'm sure the ones hitting the stores now have no issues at all.
Since gas89 only posted one time, all negative, I would say he's just a Kahr hater. But on the other hand, Joe from N.Y. posted his problems and the fix.
So I would be more willing to believe his (Joe from N.Y.) experiences than gas89's.