Your first semi, and most regretful trade-in
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Your first semi, and most regretful trade-in

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Default Your first semi, and most regretful trade-in

Just a fun little 'way back when' thread....

Ive only owned pistols for about 6 years but my first ever purchase was a compact Glock 23 in .40 cal and BOY was I unprepared for that gun's recoil. I can remember getting frustrated that I could barely hit paper from 10 yards. Yupp, I was pretty bad and picked up a TON of bad habits using it.

I unfortunately traded it towards some other gun in 9mm, I think it was an older S&W model, pre-sigma series. Now, almost 7 years later I wish I had it around and would love to have it as a backup carry gun!

My most regretful trade-in was my Kimber Ultra Ten II carry 1911 model in .45acp. Shot like a DREAM and was one of my favorite guns....despite that annoying take down pin when field stripping. I needed cash back then....

My new motto moving into 2013 is NEVER trading/selling again. Only saving and purchasing to grow my mini collection

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2604 Times on 1272 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

One of my greatest regret!
Was several years ago, I wanted a Remington 40X Sniper Rifle Custom Built at the Remington Custom Shop in Illion NY. In order to afford the package I put togerher which including a Leupold M-1 Long Range Scope, 22 Deg. Scope Mounts, Harris Bi-Pod, Pelican Case. I sold a High Standard Victor 22 Pistol to get enough money for the new rifle. I have been sorry ever since for selling the Victor!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 11-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #3

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

My first semi auto a Ruger 22 MkII Competition Target. Fortunately I haven't ever traded anything,I've always saved up for my next purchase instead of trading.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:24 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 332 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 64

My collection is rounding into shape since I've let go of a few guns to get others or just freeing up cash. I sold/traded 7 guns last year. For awhile I went through a quantity over quality phase. I don't regret selling/trading any of them. I would regret letting go of anything that is currently in the collection.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:34 AM   #5

Liked 634 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 1848

I had a Stag model 1 with a Wilson Arms 1:8 twist 16" barrel that shot beautifully. I decided that it wasn't exactly what I was looking for in an AR so I sold it, and got a Kel-Tec Su16ca. I loved the rifle, but its nothing compared to the Stag. I've since gotten an M&P Sport that shoots just as good as the Stag.

Been kicking myself ever sense....

Old 11-21-2012, 05:40 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My very first semi-auto was a Gen 2 Glock 23. I knew almost nothing about shooting pistols and like the OP had mentioned, I too had picked up some bad shooting habits. I ended up trading in that 23 for a brand new Gen 3 Glock 22 (not a trade I regretted) when I got hired as a reserve Deputy. With that purchase and a LOT of training, I "unlearned" my bad habits and became halfway decent at hitting the target.

I actually have two trades that I regret considerably. I traded a subcompact Springfield XD9 for some cash and a Winchester Model 94. As I shot primarily .40 at the time, I had little use for 9mm, though I loved the XD very much. I miss the gun quite a bit and hope that I can eventually get my hands on another one soon.

The second regrettable trade I made( and I am still kicking myself for it) is when I had need of a summer carry piece, or at least I thought I did. I ended up trading a service model S&W M&P in .40 for a Ruger LCP .380. I regret it due to the M&P bring a great gun and the fact that the LCP just sits in my safe while I carry my Glock 27 everywhere....

I guess you live and learn. I have little desire to sell guns ever, but trades are a good way to get into something more desirable if you had previously settled for second best....

Old 11-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #7

Liked 267 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 27

First semi was a clot huntsman 6" barrel back around 1971. Pulled it out for the first time in 20 years this last weekend. Still better than new rugers. Never traded in a firearm but sold a remmy XP100 in 7mmbr I wished still had.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #8

Liked 271 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 193

My first Semi Auto was a Colt 1911 that I purchased while in the Army. I traded it for a hunting rifle +cash in Alaska.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:20 PM   #9

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Wish i cud remember that far back-
I remember the one i regret the most but it was a long time after my first -

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-22-2012, 03:16 AM   #10

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

I would say thay my first purchases were my greatest regrets, Rugers LC9 & LCP. They also happen to be my first trades (though I really just gave them as gifts to friends). But I can't really say that I regret them, even though they were my learning tool, teaching me how much I hate DAO triggers, without them I wouldn't've gained such quick insight as to what it is I like and should look for.

What I do regret is not shooting the first before buying the second, so I didnt have to waste the extra 300 to learn my lesson.