Yet another 9mm opinion requested - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Yet another 9mm opinion requested

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2014, 03:35 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Just off the top of my head:

Single stacked
- S&W M&P Shield 9
- Sig P938
- Springfield XDs 9
- The Remington r51 is supposed to be very light on recoil, but some people say racking the slide is difficult. Good luck finding one.

Double stacked sub-compacts?
- S&W M&P9c
- Ruger SR9c
- Springfield XDm 9
- Glock 26

I'm sure there's more. In this particular case I would advise a revolver, slightly heavier, shooting .38s out of it. No slide to rack and recoil is manageable for most. But you specifically said semi-auto.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:01 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 186 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Default Wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
You need to determine how much recoil you can stand...Get a gun that is easier and fun to shoot until you master the basics, then consider a pocket pistol. Almost everyone has a pocket pistol they carry a lot and shoot a little. Then they have a larger pistol they shoot a lot and carry a little.
Col. Cooper, when getting razzed about carrying his Star PD's while in Africa, replied that they were to be carried a lot, but shot very little.
I just handled a Sig P938 late last week and didn't like the feel. While a good gun, feel is important to me. I also handled a Kimber Solo and loved the feel and the trigger pull. I usually don't like Kimber's but I'd make an exception for this one. I have and carry almost daily my Kahr PM9 and love the gun. It shoots wonderfully and doesn't seem to recoil too much for me. It shoots Hornady Critical Defense well, but won't shoot Winchester PDX1 at all...will not feed the round and shuts the gun down to the point where it must be taken apart to clear. It has never failed me with any other round. One of my students called yesterday from Richmond, VA and had just shot a Glock 42. He was so amazed at the ease of shooting this .380 that he is getting one for his wife, who has trouble manipulating the slide on her Ruger LCP. So, try many before making your choice, but remember, this is not a one-shot deal (pun intended). If you get the wrong one, get rid of it and get another.
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

Old 04-08-2014, 04:39 PM   #23

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I have never encountered a Glock that was hard to charge. If the OP is having issues with Glocks he/she needs to consider a revolver.

Some members mentioned pushing instead of pulling to charge the pistol. Some people can not get the hang of pushing instead of pulling. I know my wife cannot push a pistol to battery. Some people are not very athletic.

I sold a Kel Tec P11 a couple years ago. I put up a sign in the break room at home depot advertising I had the gun for sale. Believe it or not no one that responded to the Home Depot advertisement could rack the slide on the P11. We are talking about people in good physical condition who get plenty of exercise.

I have so many physical ailments that I would need a list from my doctor to make sure I didn't miss anything. Yet, I haven't met a rifle or a pistol that I couldn't charge. Apparently a lot of people are not coordinated enough to rack the slide on a handgun.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:08 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Some people are not very athletic.

I sold a Kel Tec P11 a couple years ago. I put up a sign in the break room at home depot advertising I had the gun for sale. Believe it or not no one that responded to the Home Depot advertisement could rack the slide on the P11. We are talking about people in good physical condition who get plenty of exercise.

I have so many physical ailments that I would need a list from my doctor to make sure I didn't miss anything. Yet, I haven't met a rifle or a pistol that I couldn't charge. Apparently a lot of people are not coordinated enough to rack the slide on a handgun.
Athleticism has nothing to do with it. The rest of your post indicates that technique is what is important.

Proper technique is, in my opinion, what will allow most people to successfully rack just about any slide.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:52 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Has she tried a Bersa Thunder in .380acp? My sister LOVES hers (formerly mine ), especially that flat nickel finish.

My Bersa Thunder9 UCP (ultracompact) is a bit heavier than most would consider "compact", but it is a good shooter and might recoil less than some of those other 9's listed.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:22 AM   #26

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Looked at 928 and 238. Very fine. Little heavy and of boy sticker shock!

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 04-09-2014, 03:36 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palms View Post
Looked at 928 and 238. Very fine. Little heavy and of boy sticker shock!

The weight is a positive thing while shooting. It will help to mitigate felt recoil some.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:41 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
The weight is a positive thing while shooting. It will help to mitigate felt recoil some.
Yup. My cz75b shoots much softer than my compact Bersa, both 9mm.

The Bersa firearms are very reasonably priced, IMO.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:45 PM   #29

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Of course I meant to say "oh boy". Having said that, everyone seems to like the Sig. So, wanting if possible to stay in the same 9mm as my XDM 5.25 for same caliber, any other suggestions for easy to rack, lighter recoil 9? Or what's the easiest to rack and lightest perceived recoil 9 similar in size to you have ever used with similar size to the Sig, and maybe lighter? It's truly great to belong to such a sharing and helpful community!!'

Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 04-10-2014, 06:17 AM   #30
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3382 Times on 2288 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Has she gone with you to rent a few to Shoot yet? Or just to look? Many shops with their own range will rent a large portion of the guns they Sell. My Indoor Range/Shop has about 40 Guns they rent, 24 or 25 of them Handguns. Rented an Uberti Buntline SA there. My place also has several Full Autos they rent as well. Go to one with a few bucks in your pocket so she can try 4 or 5.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...