Yet another 9mm opinion requested - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Yet another 9mm opinion requested

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 12:10 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
if the sights allow it, a person can even rack the slide one-handed by using a hard surface like the edge of table or something similiar.
I was trained to even rack it in the crook of your knee

Old 04-07-2014, 12:11 AM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21996 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
I was trained to even rack it in the crook of your knee
that one i have never heard of.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:13 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
that one i have never heard of.
I learned it in another country. Hold the gun in your shooting hand, bend your leg so now the crook of it is 'grasping' the slide and then push. Its supposed to be used for one handed racking if your other hand is shot.

Its similar to the table thinghy, but your crook of the knee holds the slide still as the hand pushes. It works better in thick pants than in shorts!
Old 04-07-2014, 12:46 AM   #14
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default Yet another 9mm opinion requested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palms View Post
Wanted something easily concealable. Not too heavy. Easy recoil very important as well as easy to rack. Willing to go to 380 but really wanted 9mm. So, tried the Taurus 780, Ruger LCP, KelTec 3AT with too much recoil and listed in order of preference. Will probably wait to see new S&W Bodyguard and Beretta Pico (claiming lowest recoil) before totally giving up on that caliber (no, I won't go smaller). I have an XDM 9 mm Competition with really great recoil but neither lightweight nor concealable. It got me thinking though in the 9mm smaller options. So, shot the 9mm version of the LCP. Are you kidding? Looking for what I said before but maybe in 9 if recoil and racking easy for partial impaired other half. Maybe a 380 in larger frame but still concealable in purse? She wants to but has problems. Thought XDS or similar but haven't shot anything other than my XDM and Glock 34 so any and all contributions to this thread are more than welcome. On another note, is it considered bad manners to post the same question on different forums (XD, Guns and Ammo). Appreciate your feedback on that too. Much obliged from the Treasure Coast!

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
You rambled a bit there(not that i don't, but i'm a writer & a Broadcaster), so let me see if I have this right: LCP and Other 380's Bit you too much, but you thought one of them might be OK? The LC380 is supposed to be easier to use (rack the slide) for folks with hand strength Issues. You tried the LC9 As well. Did either of those guns have the Pinky extension on the Mag? It does make a difference. Not that Ruger is the only choice, like others have said, The Sig 238(380) and the 938(9MM) are both excellent guns, and function just like a mini-1911…so does the Colt Mustang BTW….In the same price range. Bersa isn't bad if you don't mind a bit heavier, they also make a "+" model, with a 15 rd. mag.(same 380). One thing about 32ACP/380ACP right now is it's even more expensive then 9MM/40S&W/45ACP..Im a little stout myself, but not tall at about 5'9". 45's with full power loads kick too much for me after too many rounds. I went to 9MM. some snappy recoil in smaller guns, but I have several larger frame Guns where 9MM is almost NO recoil.
If doublestack is not an Issue, Beretta/Taurus/Chiappa 92 Compact.
if a single stack is what you want, I urge you to look at the Rugers again, or some other brands of single column 9MM/380's Avoid the 32ACP except as a BUG or for "better then throwing rocks") avoid the 22LR again except as a back up, But 22Mag. might be a possible solution, as 22Mag. rounds are faster then many Standard Velocity 38's…

Edit: you can also get something called a HANDI-RACKER. I wrote a review a little while back. It's made to fit over the guns' front sight and front of the slide to allow you to "Push"(actuate the slide) better. I don't have as much trouble with my hands as my wife, but being Diabetic& a spinal injury victim, nureopathy is already setting in with my feet, so who knows how long before my hands get worse(I'm more upset about not being able to play my Gibsons over not shooting. I'll always have something I can Shoot!)

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 04-07-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Mercator Likes This 
Old 04-07-2014, 01:18 AM   #15

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Please note: I have 2 full size autos in the 5.25 xdm and Glock 34. No proba for me. It's for my other half of 49 years that has recoil and weakness issues. Have tried many racking techniques and to make a long story short, looking for the lightest recoil and easiest rack in a semi auto that can be relatively easy to conceal in 9 or 380. Will look into Sig but fear pricing stories you read about.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:20 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

+100 on the Sig P938. I flat out love mine. I don't know what they did, but Sig really got everything right. For it's size recoil is unbelievably light, it's easy to work the slide, and mine is 100% reliable.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:36 AM   #17

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
+100 on the Sig P938. I flat out love mine. I don't know what they did, but Sig really got everything right. For it's size recoil is unbelievably light, it's easy to work the slide, and mine is 100% reliable.

+101 here,love mine so much I have it to my woman. Because I couldn't give her a gun a i didn't myself love and depend on. Went with a mp9c to replace it since I'm of a large frame and can conceal much bigger guns than that p938 whereas she can't.

Great guns.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:45 AM   #18

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I WILL look at the 938 and hopefully that will be the solution. Thanks guys, really thank you!!!

Old 04-07-2014, 10:34 AM   #19
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Ruger LC380 and Bersa half the cost...but GET what she is most comfortable with. My wife likes Wheel guns, her only Semi-Auto is her 22...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 04-08-2014, 01:05 PM   #20

Liked 113 Times on 85 Posts

S&W m&p shield or walther pps

Never enough guns or ammo