Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XDm reliability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Default XDm reliability

I love my XDm Compact. I haven't shot it as much as I should. I would like some opinions on the striker retaining roll pins breaking. Is it a concern? Should I replace it with the stronger one from Powder River? Anyone experience there's breaking?

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-05-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4328 Times on 1463 Posts
Likes Given: 1347

I have about 200 rds thru mine w/no problems so far.

NSDQ

Old 09-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #3

Liked 22 Times on 10 Posts

I had issues with mine, but I'll attribute it to dry firing without snap caps. Mine didn't break, but it would work its way out during shooting. I just pushed it back in every few hundred rounds. I emailed SA and they sent me a new one free of charge. The new one is nice and tight after about 900 rounds, however I will not be dry firing without snap caps.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 79 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 23

3000 rounds no one issue

Old 09-08-2012, 03:32 AM   #5

I appreciate the responses here...I just thought we had more XD owners to gain more insight.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:37 AM   #6

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Have not had any problems with mine. But I only have about 110 rounds through it.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:35 AM   #7

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I guess I can't add any meaningful info, but I'll tell you this; I HATE striker fired pistols, but decided I might look into them for ease of discrete CC. I've researched about all of them, and I didn't find too many instances of the problem you mention. It happens, but it happens less than other brands experienced with their individual problems. After looking at them all I found that for the money (or even if they were $200 more) the SA XD is a great, reliable, trustworthy piece. I do like the M&P, but still put an XD on layaway

Old 09-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic82 View Post
I appreciate the responses here...I just thought we had more XD owners to gain more insight.
Check the XD forum, this has been discussed in there.

I've got a 4.5" XDm 9mm...another 50 rounds through it today, 280 total so far, and quite a bit of dry firing with not even a hint of a problem at any time.

"I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

Old 09-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBlackSheep View Post
Check the XD forum, this has been discussed in there.

Good advice. Ok, nobody has experienced the retaining roll pins breaking that responded....however, does anyone find it a concern? Especially if you intend to use you XD (XDm) as a defense or CCW weapon. Hate to have it break at the wrong time.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #10

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic82

Good advice. Ok, nobody has experienced the retaining roll pins breaking that responded....however, does anyone find it a concern? Especially if you intend to use you XD (XDm) as a defense or CCW weapon. Hate to have it break at the wrong time.
I use my XD for cc. Springfield has always bin a very good quality gun. I don't have any concern of pins breaking. But it could happen. If I was you I would go ahead and buy the stronger pins tho. I would think that you starting this thread means it is something you are worried about. Just give your self pice of mind and upgrade them so you don't have to worry about it. I might do the same.