Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XDM did not like steel cased bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009, 10:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default XDM did not like steel cased bullets

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i went and shot 250 rounds of this steel cased ammo today i forget which actual brand it was but i immediately had this wierd deal going on with both mags where after i stuck in more than about 5 rounds the plastic dealie that the bullets seat into would stick in places and the bullets would start to jangle around in the magazine. i could literall tap the magazine on the table and bullets would start to just fall out.

i took the mags apart when i was there and i couldnt tell if there was anything wrong with them or not.

but anyways i shot off all the ammo i had anyways, even though i beleive i was also shooting less accurately, but accuracy is a tough thing to absolutey gauge because you need to remove yourself from the equation.

i went to a sporting goods shop and asked the gun guy about my mags and he was like "oh its just the crappy steel cases with your alluminum magazines, they dont mix"

and im pretty sure theres nothing wrong with the mags because when i got back home i stuck some brass cased bullets in them and i had no problems whatsoever.

?? what do you think? have you had this happen?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-12-2009, 11:20 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by field View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i went and shot 250 rounds of this steel cased ammo today i forget which actual brand it was but i immediately had this wierd deal going on with both mags where after i stuck in more than about 5 rounds the plastic dealie that the bullets seat into would stick in places and the bullets would start to jangle around in the magazine. i could literall tap the magazine on the table and bullets would start to just fall out.

i took the mags apart when i was there and i couldnt tell if there was anything wrong with them or not.

but anyways i shot off all the ammo i had anyways, even though i beleive i was also shooting less accurately, but accuracy is a tough thing to absolutey gauge because you need to remove yourself from the equation.

i went to a sporting goods shop and asked the gun guy about my mags and he was like "oh its just the crappy steel cases with your alluminum magazines, they dont mix"

and im pretty sure theres nothing wrong with the mags because when i got back home i stuck some brass cased bullets in them and i had no problems whatsoever.

?? what do you think? have you had this happen?
The steel cased ammo (Wolf) and the like, are coated with a lacquer so they dont rust when sitting on the shelf. They also have a heavy burr on the back edge. When fired, the lacquer burns and releases a vapor. That vapor will settle and cool and make sticky spots that the cold shells may stick (lacquer on lacquer) easily. The brass is not as sticky to your now lacquered mags. The aluminum dissipates heat well, so the cooling process of the vapor is dang near immediate. Just a guess.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-13-2009, 12:19 AM   #3

im not talking about when shooting

when inserting the bullets into the magazine after i put in about 5 rounds the plastic seat starts to stick and do wierd stuff and the bullets seem to feel really loose and they will jangle around

Old 07-13-2009, 12:29 AM   #4

What part of lacquer coated do you not understand?

Also, that burr I mentioned will dig into the soft aluminum. Other than that, I got nothing.

Here's an idea, forget the cheap steel cased rounds. I don't know what else you are looking for.

From C3Shooter:

Quote:

Old 07-13-2009, 12:57 AM   #5

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Have you cleaned and lubed your mags lately?

Are you shooting an AR? (aluminum magazines)

Photos would help and try not to use 'plastic dealie' for follower and 'bullets' for rounds, unless the bullets were actually falling out of the case.

Skull, the Ruskies aren't using lacquer to protect their ammo from corrosion and havent for a few years now. Polymer coating is now being used which has a much higher melting point.

I have run thousands of steel cased rounds through my AR and AK with zero issues. (Except for that Golden Bear dud primer junk!)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-13-2009, 01:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Have you cleaned and lubed your mags lately?

Are you shooting an AR? (aluminum magazines)

Skull, the Ruskies aren't using lacquer to protect their ammo from corrosion and havent for a few years now. Polymer coating is now being used which has a much higher melting point.

I have run thousands of steel cased rounds through my AR and AK with zero issues. (Except for that Golden Bear dud primer junk!)
Ok, I did not know 'bout the not using lacquer anymore thing. Good to know.

The other thing is that the thread states that his XDM does not like the steel case ammo.

From C3Shooter:

Quote:

Old 07-13-2009, 01:18 AM   #7

the steel cased rounds fall jangle around and fall out of the magazine while the brass cased rounds stay nice and tight.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:35 AM   #8

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Ok, I did not know 'bout the not using lacquer anymore thing. Good to know.

The other thing is that the thread states that his XDM does not like the steel case ammo.
XD's ship with aluminum magazines?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-13-2009, 01:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
XD's ship with aluminum magazines?
I have no idea...I was just trying to steer the guy into not buying steel cased ammo. I have alot of stock in the copper alloy market.

From C3Shooter:

Quote:

Old 07-13-2009, 01:53 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I have an xdm 9 and run into the same thing when loading wolf into my mags. For some reason they don't always stack correct in the mag, I think due to the slight stickiness of them over the brass. I find if you don't use the loader and do it by hand then its no problem, but if I use it then they don't stack correctly for some reason. I have put over 600 rounds of wolf through it with no ftf or fte malfunctions. ( I only got wolf because its all I could find at the time and stell is better than nothing imo)