Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD VS Glock 19

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2008, 10:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default XD VS Glock 19

I am really stuck on a 9mm XD after shooting my buddies, but I haven't shot a Glock 19 yet. I went to a local gun shop here and fell in love with the way the Glock 19's feel and size. I'm still a gun noob, so does anyone have some input they want to give me?

IMO the XD looks way better, but I think the Glock 19 is going to be the smarter choice.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-13-2008, 11:13 PM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

My personal opinion would be to go with the Glock 19. The Glock has a more proven track record. The XD has a grip safety, but in today's time, a grip safety is a little outdated IMHO. Grip safety originated back when mounted calvary was still on horses, and the grip safety helped keep the gun from firing if it was dropped and banging against the horse (most common calvary pistols had lanyards). It was known as the "dead man's safety". It kept the weapon from shooting the horse or rider unintentionally. Basically the grip safety is sometimes used as a gimmick these days by the firearms manufacturers.

The XD does shoot reliably, though. I am not a big fan, but if it feels very comfortable to you shooting, that may be an omen that the XD is the gun for you.

If you want to truthfully look at things though, the XD in reality is just a knock-off of the Glock (I'm gonna hurt some feelings around here with that sentence....lol).

Old 10-13-2008, 11:20 PM   #3

+1 on the G19. Parts and service are more widely available as well. Since XD's are imported, and major problems have to go back to SA quite often. Getting factory parts (not aftermarket stuff) is kinda tough for the XD as well.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:22 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, I would say you should probably shoot the Glock and see if what you think holds water.

I am not a fan of either platforms, but plenty of people are. They both have their admirers and they both have people carrying them and using them everyday.

My vote be you shoot the Glock, and if it fits your hand better and it shoots well for you, get that one. Otherwise, go with the XD.

JD

Old 10-14-2008, 12:36 PM   #5

Thanks fellas. I think I'm going to go ahead and pick up the Glock 19c. To tell you guys the truth, I may pick up both of them eventually.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:35 PM   #6

Edit: Went with the XD9... couldn't get over how crappy the Glock 19 looks.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:09 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVTEC View Post
Edit: Went with the XD9... couldn't get over how crappy the Glock 19 looks.
That's a rather piss-poor excuse for not purchasing the pistol you said felt better. Remember to ask the BG first time you have to draw your pistol to save your life........."how do you think my pistol looks". I'd like to rant about what's wrong with America these days, but I'll refrain from posting any further on the obvious. Good luck with your new pistol......your 'good looking' pistol.

Old 10-18-2008, 01:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
That's a rather piss-poor excuse for not purchasing the pistol you said felt better. Remember to ask the BG first time you have to draw your pistol to save your life........."how do you think my pistol looks". I'd like to rant about what's wrong with America these days, but I'll refrain from posting any further on the obvious. Good luck with your new pistol......your 'good looking' pistol.
Read again... I said that they both felt good to me, and I actually shot the XD. Either one of these guns is a win, but the XD is a better looking gun. I carry my sig for protection, not the XD.

Don't be a tool, "Ram Rod".

Old 10-22-2008, 04:46 AM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I took the XD-9 over the Glock because it is just a bit more nose-heavy, and you can field-strip it in about 10 seconds.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:11 PM   #10

Glad you are happy with the gun you bought iVTEC. I personally think that xd's are ugly and that glocks are pretty. But that is just me. To each his own. Now the new XDM's those are pretty.

Closed Thread