xd 9 vs g17
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

xd 9 vs g17

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2011, 04:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default xd 9 vs g17

PLease compare and contrast. Your opinions are all welcome. I'm in favor of the xd. Also any thoughts on p226 and p229 are appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-16-2011, 05:34 AM   #2

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Xds reliability +1 Grip safety +1. Function +1 Accuracy +1
Looks -2
Glocks reliability +2 "safe action pistol" +1 function +1
Accuracy +1 Looks -2
The fact that it's a glock +5
Mwahahahaha. I'm a tad bit biased...can you tell? All kidding aside...glock has been around a lot longer and has a long proven history of reliability and performance. Springfield makes a mighty fine pistol as well and has been proven to be a reliable and perform equally as well. I'm a glock fan true and true, its easier to field strip and I know without a shadow of a doubt, when I pull the trigger it's going BOOM. You kinda opened up a mini Pandora's box on this one btw, you're going to get a lot of votes either way...best advice is to pick both of them up and see how each feels in your hands and decide for yourself. They're both very good guns and should give you plenty of enjoyment for years to come. all in all, either would be a good choice. One last thing... G L O C K
G L O C K. G L O C K. G L O C K
:-P Happy hunting

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 10-16-2011, 12:35 PM   #3

Liked 1443 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by getem2011 View Post
PLease compare and contrast. Your opinions are all welcome. I'm in favor of the xd. Also any thoughts on p226 and p229 are appreciated.
Sounds like you made the correct decision to me!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-16-2011, 02:32 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

M&P9L or 5" Pro Series

Edit: I've owned Glocks and M&Ps and have a friend w/ an XD. Glock is nice, the XD felt weird, but the M&P feels perfect. I would like to get ahold of a Glock w/ a LWD frame.

Last edited by mjkeat; 10-16-2011 at 02:40 PM.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6783 Times on 3605 Posts
Likes Given: 506

this thread should prolly be in the semi-auto handgun section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getem2011 View Post
my opinion:

i keep hearing about glock reliability. i go to ranges around the area and the peeps having trouble are ones with glocks... hmm.

xd/xdm is way ahead of glock on safety. the grip safety pretty much ensures you gotta have a shooting grip on the gun for it to go off. they got a term called glock leg for peeps shooting themselves with the safe action glocks.

the xdm has a better grip angle making it a naturally pointing gun. glocks have a funky angle forcing the user to break the wrist low to get the gun on target.

i put glock in the same class with hi points. clunky tend to shoot when needed but not terribly ergonomic. glocks have very small difficult to use controls and triggers that feel like your dragging your finger through a bowl of mush.

sigs are good guns but my complaint with sig is the very long double action trigger. the newer sigs dont seem to be the same quality as the older sigs from a decade ago. the feel i get from sig is they are headed downhill. if i was going to get a sig i would prolly seek out an older used one in good condition.

i think your first impressions are go go xdm. xdm have changeable backstraps and hold more ammo over their xd versions. until november you get 3 free mags and a mag holder. gives you 5 mags instead of two. the xdm comes with a very very nice hardcase, holster, mag holder and 2 mags +3 mail in free mags.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 10-16-2011 at 02:51 PM.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:00 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

Aren't Glocks dishwasher safe. That should get a +1

Sent from a Droid...but not the one you are looking for, move along.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:14 PM   #7

Liked 3237 Times on 1624 Posts
Likes Given: 426

I prefer the feel of the XD/XDm over the Glock. After playing with the S&W M&P the other day, I think it feels better than both of them. I might have to rent one and see if it shoots as good as it feels. FWIW I own an XD.
Either of the SIGs you listed are great. If your shopping those, do yourself a favor and check the CZ line. You may be pleasantly surprised. I was close to buying a P226 and ended up buying a CZ75BD. When I shoot it, I don't feel like I cheaped out, they are that good. The CZ75 series and it's variants are a lot of gun for the money.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Old 10-17-2011, 05:42 AM   #8

Liked 51 Times on 40 Posts

And don't forget Ruger and FNH's contributions to this same general pistol family. I personally have an SR9 and love it but the fact is now-a-days most polymer framed pistols from reputable companies have roughly equal quality. I love my buddy's Glock 23, my best man's XD45, my SR9, AND a number of others... My SR9 has nearly 3000 rounds through it of every cheap crap ammo I could find and has not missed a single beat. Not a single jam, stove pipe, or faiure to fire. Pull the trigger and BAM... So take that for what it is worth but get out and handle as many as you can... Every gun has it's own "personality" in the shooters hand and you have to select a firearm that feels like it belongs in your hands...

Old 10-17-2011, 03:30 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1338 Times on 792 Posts
Likes Given: 250

Old 10-20-2011, 03:01 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm a Glock guy through and through. I just spent a week out on the range and put more than 2500 rounds through my G17...Only malfunctions were intentionally induced for the sake of clearing drills. Ran a bore snake through it once and put a drop of oil on the rails...If you're having problems with a Glock it's because you're doing something wrong. All that being said...Get the gun that you feel best with.

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Newest Threads