Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   WW I standard military issue 1911 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/ww-i-standard-military-issue-1911-a-61600/)

Ljose003 04-01-2012 07:22 PM

WW I standard military issue 1911

My grandfather passed two years ago and recently my father came back from Washington state with my grandfathers standard issue military 1911 .45 pistol. I took the gun to my local gun shop and I had the gunsmith take a look at the gun. After he told me that it was in perfect shape and I shot it a few times he informed me that the gun was a WW I standard issue that was refurbished and put back into use in WW II. That is when my grandfather used it. Is this possible or true? I dont have the gun on me but I would be able to provide serial numbers if that helps. And is there a value anyone can put on it?

mountainman13 04-01-2012 07:28 PM

The gun sounds priceless to me.

HOSSFLY 04-01-2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ljose003 (Post 758643)
My grandfather passed two years ago and recently my father came back from Washington state with my grandfathers standard issue military 1911 .45 pistol. I took the gun to my local gun shop and I had the gunsmith take a look at the gun. After he told me that it was in perfect shape and I shot it a few times he informed me that the gun was a WW I standard issue that was refurbished and put back into use in WW II. That is when my grandfather used it.
Quote:

Is this possible or true
? I dont have the gun on me but I would be able to provide serial numbers if that helps. And is there a value anyone can put on it?

Its very possible :)
Tell us about markings or better yet post gud pics----
As to value all i can say is i doubt i could afford it :o

JonM 04-01-2012 07:57 PM

price depends on condition. re-arsenaled by the military doesnt degrade the value much. rearsenaled colts can run from 1000-2500$ less if condition is really poor. if it still has the original ww1 bluing it can increase value. just depends.

Quentin 04-01-2012 08:18 PM

The true value is as a family heirloom. Don't even think of selling it, your father should pass it on to you only when you're mature enough to respect his and your grandfather's wishes, and that's probably to pass it on to your son who will hopefully understand all this. This is definitely a safe queen. Pictures would be nice!

Ljose003 04-01-2012 09:42 PM

Well I wouldn't just go running aroun telling people about how nature they are. Value is just for curiosity you lame duck. But as soon as I get home I will take pictures from the outside and broken down

HOSSFLY 04-01-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ljose003 (Post 758756)
Well I wouldn't just go running aroun telling people about how nature they are. Value is just for curiosity you lame duck. But as soon as I get home I will take pictures from the outside and broken down

Wow- Why be rude to those answering a question you asked :confused:
Forget that I asked for pics----------------

mountainman13 04-01-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ljose003

Well that was mature. Lol

Ljose003 04-01-2012 10:42 PM

Haha I thought it was funny and I'm not being rude to those answering my question. Just one person.

HOSSFLY 04-01-2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ljose003 (Post 758792)
Haha I thought it was funny and I'm not being rude to those answering my question. Just one person.

One too many IMO -
I can make better use of my time & I bet Quentin can too----