Would like your input on a .22 target pistol
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Would like your input on a .22 target pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 889 Times on 429 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Default Would like your input on a .22 target pistol

I am going to get back into competitive shooting. Mainly Bullseye three gun shooting. When I was on a shooting team in the military, we were issued a Hi Standard Victor and Matched colt .45.

Thats been a long time ago. One hand shooting is going to be tough for me to get use to again.
At my age I am not looking for National Championship. Just competitive.

I have looked at Ruger, Beretta, S&W, and Browning.

I am Leaning toward the Browning Target .22. at this time. I like the trigger and features. I want to stay under five hundred dollars.

I would appreciate your input.

JP-US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #2

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Without question, a Ruger MkIII 22/45 Target model would be my suggestion.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

In that price range, it seems like Ruger offers a lot of value and a platform that can accept modifications as funds become available. I don't shoot competively, but have been thinking about it, and my basic research keeps bringing me back to Ruger, and sometimes to Browning Buckmark.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:36 PM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

I'll second the ruger. Most of the competitive shooters in my club use and recommend them.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2563 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

Deerhunter,

With you we shot the High Standard Military Match Model in the Army. Later I shot silhouette matches with a High Standard Victor. Wish I had it back. Someday I will locate another one in good shape. Anyway at the present time I have a Browning Benchmark which I really like. And I know Ruger builds some good target models. But I would go with the Bench Mark probably. Just like the feel of it better than the Ruger. Not knocking the Ruger mind you! It is a personal preference issue.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 04-20-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 247 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 31

For under $500 you can't beat Browning and Ruger for rimfire target pistols. The Buckmark, 22/45, and MK models are all excellent guns that will out-perform the skills of about 99% of the shooting public in my opinion.

Advantage: whichever possesses the fit, finish, and features you prefer.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts

i strongly suggest the browning because i have a buckmark, hi power, and gold hunter and there is one thing in common with all of them: OUTSTANDING quality and accuracy. however, if you decide to go with ruger, make sure you buy it from the shelf. do not order it. ruger is not currently accepting new orders because they are so far behind in production. if you order it, or buy from a dealer who plans to order it, you're gonna be waiting a while.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #8

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Top shot was shooting gumballs with a Browning 22. Very impressive. I like the old High Standard Military HD, but they are hard to find.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 250 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 104

+1 on High Standard but I prefer Victor model which you are already familiar. Problem is its kinda heavy. At your price level, Ruger is probably your best bet. Can be modified when budget allows, parts readily available, and cheap magazines.

It's a tough call because if you were on the Army's shooting team, you need or could actually use the tighter tolerances of a higher end pistol but your not going to find it at your price level. Most shooters can't maximize the inherent accuracy of their weapons but if your already at the higher level, it may be difficult to go to a "stock" gun.

S&W has a loyal following but it's $998. Maybe used ?

Old 04-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #10

Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts

I'd go with a Ruger Mark III target model. I just have the standard with the 4.75 inch barrel but it still shoots like a dream.