Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Would like your input on a .22 target pistol (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/would-like-your-input-22-target-pistol-62948/)

Dearhunter 04-20-2012 08:13 PM

Would like your input on a .22 target pistol

I am going to get back into competitive shooting. Mainly Bullseye three gun shooting. When I was on a shooting team in the military, we were issued a Hi Standard Victor and Matched colt .45.

Thats been a long time ago. One hand shooting is going to be tough for me to get use to again.
At my age I am not looking for National Championship. Just competitive.

I have looked at Ruger, Beretta, S&W, and Browning.

I am Leaning toward the Browning Target .22. at this time. I like the trigger and features. I want to stay under five hundred dollars.

I would appreciate your input.

Polygon 04-20-2012 08:14 PM

Without question, a Ruger MkIII 22/45 Target model would be my suggestion.

Jeepergeo 04-20-2012 08:30 PM

In that price range, it seems like Ruger offers a lot of value and a platform that can accept modifications as funds become available. I don't shoot competively, but have been thinking about it, and my basic research keeps bringing me back to Ruger, and sometimes to Browning Buckmark.

mountainman13 04-20-2012 08:36 PM

I'll second the ruger. Most of the competitive shooters in my club use and recommend them.

Sniper03 04-20-2012 08:37 PM

Deerhunter,

With you we shot the High Standard Military Match Model in the Army. Later I shot silhouette matches with a High Standard Victor. Wish I had it back. Someday I will locate another one in good shape. Anyway at the present time I have a Browning Benchmark which I really like. And I know Ruger builds some good target models. But I would go with the Bench Mark probably. Just like the feel of it better than the Ruger. Not knocking the Ruger mind you! It is a personal preference issue.

sweeper22 04-20-2012 08:42 PM

For under $500 you can't beat Browning and Ruger for rimfire target pistols. The Buckmark, 22/45, and MK models are all excellent guns that will out-perform the skills of about 99% of the shooting public in my opinion.

Advantage: whichever possesses the fit, finish, and features you prefer.

ryguy00 04-20-2012 09:14 PM

i strongly suggest the browning because i have a buckmark, hi power, and gold hunter and there is one thing in common with all of them: OUTSTANDING quality and accuracy. however, if you decide to go with ruger, make sure you buy it from the shelf. do not order it. ruger is not currently accepting new orders because they are so far behind in production. if you order it, or buy from a dealer who plans to order it, you're gonna be waiting a while.

barneygoogle 04-20-2012 09:26 PM

Top shot was shooting gumballs with a Browning 22. Very impressive. I like the old High Standard Military HD, but they are hard to find.

Gonzilla 04-20-2012 10:24 PM

+1 on High Standard but I prefer Victor model which you are already familiar. Problem is its kinda heavy. At your price level, Ruger is probably your best bet. Can be modified when budget allows, parts readily available, and cheap magazines.

It's a tough call because if you were on the Army's shooting team, you need or could actually use the tighter tolerances of a higher end pistol but your not going to find it at your price level. Most shooters can't maximize the inherent accuracy of their weapons but if your already at the higher level, it may be difficult to go to a "stock" gun.

S&W has a loyal following but it's $998. Maybe used ?

marc29th 04-20-2012 11:02 PM

I'd go with a Ruger Mark III target model. I just have the standard with the 4.75 inch barrel but it still shoots like a dream.