will that be metal or plastic sir? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > will that be metal or plastic sir?

View Poll Results: metal or plastic sir?
i prefer metal frames 48 75.00%
i prefer polymer frames 16 25.00%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2010, 08:01 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I like guns of all flavors, just like I like women.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:17 AM   #12
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm with Joe on this one, I like them both. I prefer each for different uses, hard not to like a metal frame pistol as it's what most of us are use to then again polly frames cut the weight (I carry enough of that already). Most of my pistols are steel frame but I carry a polly frame most of the time. S&W M&P 45 is my prefered carry pistol, it's not a 1911 but IMHO does a fine job of keeping me and mine safe in the world we live in.

Where does aloy frames fit in? still wanting a S&W airweight 38 snub nose.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:18 AM   #13

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I decided to get rid of all my Tupperware guns a while back. And somehow I still ended up with a Browning Pro-40. I keep saying I"m going to trade it off but it's not got gone yet. The FNP is for the most part the same pistol and they are around 200+ cheaper. Just strikes me odd is all.

Anyway..I much prefer a metal weapon over poly framed ones. But I look at firearms as more than tools and see many (especially older) firearms as works of functional art. I just don't get that vibe from poly framed weapons. Most of them I've use worked fine. I just didn't feel the love for them they way I do a steel framed 1911, Sig Sauer, to the oh so lovely BHP

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by DrumJunkie; 07-31-2010 at 05:23 AM.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:20 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

There is no substitute for steel when it comes to a pistol whipping.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-31-2010, 05:33 AM   #15

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I like the xd40 but I also like the metal frame as well.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:48 AM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Each has it's uses. Too bad there isn't an "either / or" choice. I would pick that one. If you want super accuracy, like for competition, I would go with steel. For basic utility, like Duty Carry, I would go with poly. They take the elements better.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 07-31-2010, 06:34 AM   #17

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

The biggest reason I like the Browning Pro/FNP is while it is a poly frame it has a hammer. It's got the safety adn de-cock too for those that really need those features.

Glocks are supposed to have a lower bore axis to reduce felt recoil. THe striker is supposed ot be what allows that but truth be told I couldn't see much of any difference between a 9mm Glock and a 9mm Sig. So I'm not all that sure that it's enough of a plus for me personally. Glock and the XD both are fine weapons. They will work when called upon. I just don't feel the love with either of them. And for me carring a government frame 1911 all day is not uncomfortable. A good holster and a good belt and I get to where I hardly notice it.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-31-2010, 07:30 AM   #18
Resident JackHole
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 332 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I picked metal because as of right now, that's what I own. However, the last time I was at the range, I had the opportunity to dump a 13 round clip down range from a S&W XD40. I have to say, it was a nice feeling pistol. It didn't have as much recoil as I was expecting and it was fairly accurate for me too. Of course, I still carry my 1911 every day, being as Kentucky is an open carry state.

tldr; I like metal but have nothing against polymer.

No, you can't take my gun. I'm gonna need it when you try to take my truck...

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm a mechanic. I fix things. This is why I will never be able to hold public office.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:55 PM   #19

polymer does have it's place, no doubt about it, i myself am looking for a semi-auto to carry. this gun will be polymer framed, my s&w model 340 works fine, i just want another tool for when my dress alows for something larger. thanks for everyone's input on this, i can see that most people agree that metal is the favorite, just not always as practicle. i have yet to find a polymer pistol that i am totally happy with. i had a bad experience with the glock 36, i think this is where i got turned away from them.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:51 PM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just cannot warm up to the plastic guns,I was all set to purchase one but just couldn't do it.