Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Wife's Desert Eagle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 12:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4451 Times on 2349 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Default Wife's Desert Eagle

ive talked about this gun on occasion. i bought it when the 50AE came out. its the gun that got me into reloading. its a ton of fun to shoot very easy to clean but it takes a lot of discipline to shoot well due to the extreme torque. it will twist your arms hard to the left and pelt you tween the eyes with smoking hot brass.

its the first handgun my wife ever fired. eventually i just ended up giving it to her as i dont really shoot it anymore. typical load is a 300grn hollow point at 1450fps using 33grn of h110. when imi oriinally designed the version this one is they tested it by filling the case with the fastest pistol powder to the top and compressing the load. they then tortured the gun with it not one failure.

its really easy to dissassemble for cleaning. the rotary bolt from the ar15/m16 ensures positive reliable extraction tight lockup and excellent extraction. if your shooting a DE that is having feed issues or ejection issues its due to either light loads or limp wristing.

the way it operates is a cross between an ak47 and a m16. its has a gas port that operates on a piston to cycle the rotary bolt.

the barrel is attached to the frame and doesnt move during the firing proccess. even tho the sights are split between barrel and slide its very accurate out to 150 yards. the furthest ive shot it is 400yards on steel targets using the 44magnum barrel.

the trigger has a ton of creep but the weight of the gun prevents any movement when the sear releases. so the pull is long but relatively light.

converting from 44mag to 50AE you just swap mags and barrel. uses the same recoil spring. magazine capacity is eight 44 or seven 50.

wife and i are going to the indoor range over in racine friday afternoon so she can shoot a few ccw guns and her DE. so i will put up a range report sometime this weekend.

people like to rag on desert eagles but they are very solid guns extremely rugged and durable, extremely reliable if the operator is not flinching or limp wristing, and superbly accurate. the only negative is the size and weight. overall its a high quality reliable handgun.

if it wasnt single action or had a safety i could manipulate with the thumb of my shooting hand i wouldnt hesitate carrying a 357 version for OC.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 08-25-2011 at 12:35 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-25-2011, 02:17 AM   #2

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I'm very impressed with your wife's choice of pistols. Wow!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-25-2011, 02:24 AM   #3

Liked 4451 Times on 2349 Posts
Likes Given: 255

i had to grind part of the slide release off for her it was an extended. she cant hold it straight and the torque twists the gun in her hand and it used to slice her thumb up.

she has to wear a brimmed hat to keep the brass off her face. but she loves the damn thing.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...