Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Wife wants New Gun, something to keep in her purse!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2010, 06:35 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Finally Got mine Bersa Thunder .380 and she loves it!!

Old 06-13-2010, 06:55 PM   #72

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Tack you are exactly right, but you know in the summer when we aren't wearing many clothes, a mouse gun may be all you can get concealed, and I always say carry as big as you can and as big as you can master. The master part ins't hard around here, we can shoot anytime in the backyard, so it comes down to as big as you can canceal. So it comes down to a mouse gun is better than no gun in a pinch, just push it as close as you can get it and shoot until it won't shoot no more.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:48 AM   #73

Liked 4674 Times on 2260 Posts
Likes Given: 1430

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardnorton View Post
Tack you are exactly right, but you know in the summer when we aren't wearing many clothes, a mouse gun may be all you can get concealed, and I always say carry as big as you can and as big as you can master. The master part ins't hard around here, we can shoot anytime in the backyard, so it comes down to as big as you can canceal. So it comes down to a mouse gun is better than no gun in a pinch, just push it as close as you can get it and shoot until it won't shoot no more.
Richard,

I agree that a "noisy cricket" is better than a stick however, the op specificaly stated that his wifes new gun was meant to be "purse" carried. Most ladies I know who carry, do not carry on the body like us guys, it's just not practicle for them given the form fitting styles worn by most women.

So...If you know her gun is going into a bag that can easily conceal a gun of proper size and caliber, why suggest an underpowed, difficult to shoot, "noisy cricket" that's she's unlikely to practice with?

I totaly get the Pocket Gun thing for guys. Most of us wear our pants loose enought to conceal one in our pockets but really, take a look at your wife or daughters jeans...They could not a tube a lipstick in those pockets let alone a gun of any size.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:32 PM   #74

I always suggest a semi-auto with a manual safety for a woman carrying in a purse. We all know how much crap women toss in their purses and it's nice to know a manual safety will help prevent an accidental discharge even more.

Just a couple bug guns.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:21 AM   #75

okay so ive had a kel-tec .32 cal and its probably my favorite pocket/purse gun, its small, sleek, 12 rounds, and the round is a decent size in itself.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:01 PM   #76

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tieler View Post
okay so ive had a kel-tec .32 cal and its probably my favorite pocket/purse gun, its small, sleek, 12 rounds, and the round is a decent size in itself.
Ok if that is your opinion then that is the gun for you, someone else might like something else, so they can have something else. Hell you must make the decision for yourself, end of story!

Old 06-26-2010, 12:40 PM   #77

Liked 4674 Times on 2260 Posts
Likes Given: 1430

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezpa View Post
I always suggest a semi-auto with a manual safety for a woman carrying in a purse. We all know how much crap women toss in their purses and it's nice to know a manual safety will help prevent an accidental discharge even more.
IMO, suggesting a semi for purse carry is unwise. Suggesting an auto for anyone who does not train often is unwise. I DO know women who carry semi's in "holster purses". These ladies do train often and know what they are doing but MOST women do not. They shoot once or twice to get familiar with thier new gun then drop it in a bag with dozens of other items where it migrates to the bottom and stays there. I've seen guns come out of amatures purses caked with makeup, lint, and god knows what else.

When giving advice to a new shooter who's purpose is self defence, ALWAYS consider there safety and encourage them to use a tool that WILL work when they need it most. STEER her to a good DA revolver, preferably a .38 or .357 mag.

If she turns out to be an AVID shooter and is willing to invest in proper carry attire, she can then step up to a Semi. OF course she is ulitmately going to choose the gun SHE likes but she asked your opinion for a reason. I've seen far to many "experts" teaching novice women on "noisey crickets"??? INSANE...

TACK

Last edited by Tackleberry1; 06-26-2010 at 12:47 PM.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:05 PM   #78

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

After much research my wife chose the Kahr CW9. It has been flawless. DAO 9mm.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:45 PM   #79
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

For a woman's first time purse gun I would recommend a small snub nose revolver. Especially if she is not going to practice alot with it. It takes time and practice to carry a semi and know how to use it. Yet if you are going to carry a weapon you will have to practice with it.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:42 AM   #80

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandorealtor View Post
My wife has a Smith Model 60 3 inch Revolver never fired, but she wants me to sell it for a semi-auto Likes the Semi's(tried a glock but wants smaller) and She wants something small that doesn't have a big kick she can keep in a purse (going to buy a carry purse with the gun) The gunstore down the street showed me a New Taurus model(can't remember the name) didn't look bad but I was not really impressed with it, looking for ideas on other guns from owners that have actually used them. Thanks for your replies, Jerry
Check out the Glock26 my friend. The Ruger LCP is great but the reliability is not there (in my experience, handled and fired 2) to put her life on it. The 26 is the smallest, and (arguably) the most reliable semi-auto sub-compact on the market.

In god we trust, all others we monitor...