Wife wants New Gun, something to keep in her purse! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Wife wants New Gun, something to keep in her purse!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 05:32 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I personnaly think no woman should be carrying a gun in their purse. What if somebody comes, overpowers her and snatch that purse from you? Not only that but what if she doesnt want to give away the purse and he pulls a knife or a gun, where is her gun, in her purse? There goes your gun!

Just a thought.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:21 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_black View Post
I personnaly think no woman should be carrying a gun in their purse. What if somebody comes, overpowers her and snatch that purse from you? Not only that but what if she doesnt want to give away the purse and he pulls a knife or a gun, where is her gun, in her purse? There goes your gun!

Just a thought.
This......
Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 01-26-2010, 07:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_black View Post

Just a thought.
Ok Will have a talk with her about that. Good idea but I do know some Ladies here experienced with guns that do carry them in their gun purse.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:41 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 30 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default I'm thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandorealtor View Post
Ok Will have a talk with her about that. Good idea but I do know some Ladies here experienced with guns that do carry them in their gun purse.
I think in some... probably women only CCW or CCP classes they train with their purse rather then a holster

Old 01-26-2010, 07:50 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nope my wife has her hand in her purse and the gun in her hand when she is even in a small crowd or she hears someone she can't see. And she has no problem with shooting through her purse a some grease ball that tries to grab it. She has been taught first round in the groin the second third and forth in the head.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:02 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

First, there are a couple of articles your wife would probably benefit from reading:

http://www.corneredcat.com/Holster/purse.aspx

Cornered Cat - Concealed Carry for the Fashionable Woman

These are both from a firearms website called The Cornered Cat. And it's a site about firearms from a woman's (well-written) point of view. There are good articles for men there, too. One you might be interested in is on buying a gun for your wife (Cornered Cat - Buying a Gun for Your Wife. I've read that one several times .

Purse carry is better than no carry, but the above information is worth reviewing.

You said your wife tried a Glock and wanted something smaller. First, which Glock did she try? If it was one of the "baby" Glocks, which dimensions does she want to be smaller (length, height, thickness, weight)? I'm not trying to sell you a Glock, just trying to get a starting point and a direction.

As always, if you have access to a range that rents guns, let her try as many as you both can stand. The more she tries, the more she'll understand what she likes and doesn't like.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 01-26-2010, 08:24 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok well I will start by saying if you go back and read my original post you will find it was a Glock model 26, and she took if after firing a perfect score on her cancealed handgun license shooting. The dimensions she wanted smaller was the weight. Ok that said our backyard range doesn't rent guns but she has her selection of maybe 30 or 40 pistols in the gun safe to try anytime she wants and she has shot most of them by now. We are both retired Army Officers so are used to shooting handguns, whatever the Army was using at the time. And she did buy a carry purse at the last NRA (she is a Life Member) annual meeting. She has a CHL in Texas and it extends to many states and the ones it doesn't extend to we just pass through and carry the guns anyway, you know the old saying "better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6".

Old 01-26-2010, 08:26 PM   #18

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts

I personally think the Glock is a BAD idea for a person new to carrying (or even fairly new to firearms) because of the safety system, or lack thereof. Not a pistol for the inexperienced. I'm just looking out for the lady's well-being, and that of those around her.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:57 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Ok well I will start by saying if you go back and read my original post you will find it was a Glock model 26, and she took if after firing a perfect score on her cancealed handgun license shooting.
Yep. My bad.

There are some 9mm single-stack guns out there that weigh less than the G26. Look at Kahr CW9, Kel-Tec P-11, Walther PPS and the Rohrbaugh 9. If she'd be happy with a .380, those same companies offer .380 models, and there a others who make .380s as well. I don't know about your area of the country, but around here, .380 has been very difficult to find.

If you get American Rifleman, they have an article this month comparing a bunch of .380s.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 01-26-2010, 09:01 PM   #20

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts

The "original post" was by orlandorealtor and I think the thread has gotten of topic. Sorry.