Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Why are there trigger modifications?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1616 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 1305

Default Why are there trigger modifications?

There seem to be a lot of trigger modifications & work available on handguns. (Maybe on long guns too, I don’t know.)

How come?

I understand the various handgrip and sighting options as post-production tailoring a gun to better fit one’s hand and sight.

However all the trigger work discussion I’ve seen seems to be in terms of improving a ‘mediocre’ factory trigger design. The differences in the replacement trigger component pieces I’ve seen, although providing a big difference in trigger pull and reset, etc., I’m sure, are insignificant in terms of manufacturing process, considering the total production costs involved in a handgun.

So, excepting competition shooting, if a lever, or something, that’s a just little bit longer or shorter, or whatever, provides a better trigger, why don’t they come like that from the factory?

??

Last edited by Vincine; 08-07-2011 at 05:36 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Having a smooth, predictable and light trigger pull and reset helps improve first and follow-up shot accuracy and in many cases a single stage trigger isn't suitable for long range target shooting where pinpoint accuracy is essential. Many standard factory triggers are not necessarily "tuned" to the liking of individual shooters. The aftermarket for upgraded triggers and "trigger jobs" is hugh much like the market for golf clubs. Every golfer seeks the Holy Grail of drivers, same thing with shooters seeking the perfect trigger. For most it makes little if any difference, unless the gun you have just has a lousy factory trigger.

Much of the reason you do not see upgraded trigger kits in stock guns is the manual fitting and custom work that would be involved, many makers simply install a mass produced trigger group in their stock models...custom shops and upgraded models can obviuosly have any trigger the buyer wants.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 08-07-2011 at 05:27 PM.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1160 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
There seem to be a lot of trigger modifications & work available on handguns.

So, excepting competition shooting, if a lever, or something, that’s a just little bit longer, or shorter, or whatever, provides a much trigger, why don’t they come like that from the factory?

??
Many manufacturers try to "idiot proof" their guns, Ruger is a good example. Ruger makes good firearms, but my old M-77 had a factory trigger that required a pair of plow mules to pull. My LGS's smith worked it over for me and reduced the trigger pull from 7 to 9 pounds to about 4 pounds.

Now it is easier to stay on target when squeeeezing the trigger.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2220 Times on 1112 Posts
Likes Given: 1140

Exactly what JPyle & Gator said!

The reason for a less than desirable trigger in new guns are exactly what they stated.

1. Company material cost and manufacturing expenses of the Trigger.
2. Cost of additional work and or custom tuning the factory trigger at production.
3. Liability in the times we live in a the trigger being to easy to pull and a law suit by
some ambulance chasing attorney and his client.
4. The potential for additional sales and income by the manufacturers for offering
additional armorer services to tune the triggers. And potential sales of specialty
triggers. Which means $$$$$$$$.
5. Shooters wanting a specific type or pound of pull trigger for different uses and
applications.

Pick a few guns whether pistol, rifle or shotgun and you will get several opinions on what they think of the trigger on the specific gun.
We do not all like the same feature.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #5
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1616 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 1305

I could understand if the trigger modification parts were custom machined, but they’re not. They’re mass produced just like the stock components.

It just doesn’t make sense to me that manufactures wouldn’t just offer trigger options just like calibers.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
I could understand if the trigger modification parts were custom machined, but they’re not. They’re mass produced just like the stock components.

It just doesn’t make sense to me that manufactures wouldn’t just offer trigger options just like calibers.
Some states, MA is one of many, require handguns to have a minimum of a 10lb trigger. I guess if you crunched the numbers, its cheaper to make them all the same instead of offering 20 variants just for trigger pull, then end up with a batch that no one wants. Why offer different trigger pulls if the owner is just going to put in an after market specific to their needs. Liability is another possibility.

Some companies, Savage Arms, do offer adjustable triggers which is smart.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 08-07-2011, 09:28 PM   #7

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

"I could understand if the trigger modification parts were custom machined, but they’re not. They’re mass produced just like the stock components.

It just doesn’t make sense to me that manufactures wouldn’t just offer trigger options just like calibers. "

If you look at companies that make 1911's you see many offer models with different triggers. If they make only one model then often they try to cut costs to offer a lower priced product that still functions fine and is totally suitable to 90% of the shooters. It has always been this way. Look at the Colt Python it was way more expensive than others due to the hand-tuning. Most shooters did not buy it instead buying a less expensive Colt like a Trooper or something. Thats why Chevy made the Corvette and the Chevette at the same time.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:38 AM   #8
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Some of it is personal preference, my son and I both have S&W M&P 45's. He likes his trigger as is, I elected to have my trigger worked on to take up some of the slack and to reduce the trigger pull. I shoot better with mine and he shoot better with his

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #9

Just like cars, people like to customize their stuff.

Most factory set-ups are going to be just the base-line average of what people prefer and function just fine. If your preference goes too far from what the manufacturer thinks is average you can mod it.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Many/most shooters don't know the difference. The gun shoots and they get used to the trigger pull. Others demand better performance and are willing to pay for it or to do the work themselves.

Manufacturing costs and liability have already been mentioned, so no need to rehash.

A perfect example is my old Eddystone. The original trigger was a military type and quite a heavy pull. I changed it out for a Huber match trigger and it smoothed out, lightened up considerably and I am able to shoot it more accurately because of the change.

It shot fine before, but the change improved it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams