Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Why not? Bought a Makarov

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Nice. The Mak is a great gun. I sold off my Mak collection many years ago and have often wondered what kind of mental defect made me decide to do that. I pretty much had them all; from East German to Arsenal to a Norinco Type 59. I miss the East German the most. The fit and finish was unreal.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #12

Liked 120 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 58

If you want to be a fanatic with your Mak go right ahead. You paid a fair price for the gun with the extras. I would say, well done!

What you have is known as the Russian Commercial, they have the adjustable rear sights.

The Makarov doesn't have any mystical aura to them, however they are a good example of Russian practicality applied to handguns. The Makarov is a solid, well built gun designed with fewer parts that the Walther specifically for military and police use.

My Makarov sits in good company with my 1911s and will remain there for a long time to come. If you want to learn more from other Mak owners go to:
http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?46-The-Makarov-Forum

Old 02-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #13

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwiksdraw View Post
If you want to be a fanatic with your Mak go right ahead. You paid a fair price for the gun with the extras. I would say, well done!

...they are a good example of Russian practicality applied to handguns. The Makarov is a solid, well built gun designed with fewer parts that the Walther specifically for military and police use.

My Makarov sits in good company with my 1911s... The-Makarov-Forum

A fair price? Really, compared to what!? And there's what I'm talking about...

To the Makarov fanatic a cheapened copy of a Walther becomes a "practical... gun designed with fewer parts... specifiaclly for military and police use." You see, it's BETTER than a Walther, maybe like the wonderful East German military bluing. Pllleeeze. And to mention it in the same breath as the 1911? Fanatic or not... Really? Seriouly!? The heavy blowback Makarov was obsolete for military purposes the day it was introduced.

By the way, that happens to be the choir of Makarov inbreeds (created by a guy who sold them, parts and after-market products for them) I was referring to earlier. I certainly wouldn't mention them by name and never post a competing forum's URL here!

Last edited by HockaLouis; 02-23-2013 at 09:50 PM.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:22 AM   #14

Liked 120 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
A fair price? Really, compared to what!? And there's what I'm talking about...

To the Makarov fanatic a cheapened copy of a Walther becomes a "practical... gun designed with fewer parts... specifically for military and police use." You see, it's BETTER than a Walther, maybe like the wonderful East German military bluing. Pllleeeze. And to mention it in the same breath as the 1911? Fanatic or not... Really? Seriouly!? The heavy blowback Makarov was obsolete for military purposes the day it was introduced.

By the way, that happens to be the choir of Makarov inbreeds (created by a guy who sold them, parts and after-market products for them) I was referring to earlier. I certainly wouldn't mention them by name and never post a competing forum's URL here!
I bet you're a lot of fun a parties.

The OP paid a fair price compared to the selling price of other Makarovs. Did you think I was comparing it to other brands? What kind of person would think that?

Where did I write it was better than a Walther? I was emphasizing that it was quite different and why it is so. Different is neither good nor bad, just different.

My Makarov and my 1911s are my guns and I can say that in the same breath every day if I want.

Are these forums in competition? Really? I missed that in the rule book. All I was trying to do was help out the OP.

Please note that at no time did I resort to name calling. That is not polite and really is not an effective way to win an argument.

Try to enjoy the shooting sports instead of being its biggest critic. You'll have more fun and make more friends.

Alas, I now await a truly eloquent response.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:26 AM   #15

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizord1 View Post

Agreed on the fanatic part!
I have an SKS, and I somewhat prefer it over AK, but I don't defend it to the death as the best weapon ever devised. I often hear mosin owners talk about how God-awesome the mosin is, but its just a cheap mil surp rifle. I don't talk about how much better Mauser is, do I?
Much respect, but my old ruski is still my favorite rifle :-)

Old 02-24-2013, 01:36 AM   #16

Com'on now Desert -- tell everyone how old you are please.

And I don't need to say anymore -- I've already said a Makarov is one of my go-to guns. I actually carried one (P-64 now) and shoot 'em so know what they are, also what they aren't, and don't (re)write history around things because I spent the monthly check on them.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:42 AM   #17

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Com'on now Desert -- tell everyone how old you are please.

And I don't need to say anymore -- I've already said a Makarov is one of my go-to guns. I actually carried one (P-64 now) and shoot 'em so know what they are, also what they aren't, and don't (re)write history around things because I spent the monthly check on them.
I'm 15. But I was talking about my 91/30. All I said was it was my favorite rifle.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:50 AM   #18

Thanks. I know lil' buddy, it's just important to put things in correct and complete context sometimes, just like the Makarov itself which has been my whole point.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:23 AM   #19

Liked 305 Times on 170 Posts

Goodness. All I said is I bought one, not that I worshiped it. It's gun #13 for me. It's just one of many, and I've got 1911s and Glocks, so, can we all just get along? And it's the 9x18 version and it will probably be used twice a year because I have other things to enjoy. I promise not to kiss it at night and to put my pee pee in the barrel.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:27 AM   #20

Liked 2371 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Looks nice. Seen 3 other day from 289 to 340....

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.