Why not? Bought a Makarov
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Why not? Bought a Makarov

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 05:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 328 Times on 182 Posts

Default Why not? Bought a Makarov

Guns are fun so why not. Picked one up today just because. Made in Russia by Imez. Model IJ70-18A. Came with the holster and extra magazine and tool. Also picked up two boxes of 9mm Makarov ammo so, maybe a visit to the range this weekend. It seems well made and I like how it comes apart. Just flip the trigger guard down and pull the slide back and up. It's a piece of history and now it's mine.

image-1371068450.jpg

image-2716578938.jpg

image-1240546847.jpg

image-2626637029.jpg

image-3024834624.jpg

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
mcb

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Congrats. I've always been wanted to shoot one but have never had an opportunity.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #3

Liked 2180 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

You did gud-
I had a Russian & a Bulgarian & loved them-
WHY in hell didn't i keep one?

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #4

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

neat little guns! Reliable and fairly accurate in my exp with them! That is a clean example you have there too!

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #5

Liked 1845 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

That looks like a nice setup. Congrats.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #6

Liked 220 Times on 145 Posts

Nice. What are they going for these days if ya don't mind me asking. I was always meaning to pick one up back in the mid '90s but never did. I think one in unissued shape was about $120.00 then if I remember right (and I rarely do).

Old 02-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #7

Liked 328 Times on 182 Posts

The LGS had 3 of them. All were $295. I got the best of the 3. Last time I was at this store I got a Walther PPK/S for $495. I don't know just how much I overpaid but I've not seen Walthers for less so I figured the Mak wasn't way out of line either. Both should be fun to shoot and I might even work the PPK into carry rotation.

image-298999917.jpg

Old 02-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #8

Liked 2180 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy36 View Post
The LGS had 3 of them. All were $295.

Wow- gone up a bit ---

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 02-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #9

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Holy smoke. I paid about $90 for mine barely used in the box with all the stuff from a guy at work. The holster with a spare mag I had to buy for $7 unissued. Great guns for the price -- almost sorry I left it in the trunk to get wet and get a few rust spots but it's a Makarov so who gives a carp except for the fanatics.

There's another forum and one particular bender from the Northwest, a guy who section-eighted out of the military and got caught lying he is still a soldier because he is a contract-worker food server, that collects Makarov ammo and has been repeatedly caught lying about their stats too. The idiot actually shot his chronograph but is defended by white trash.

Well he and these other small-fry inbreeds try to tell everyone the Russians were the most ingenious craftsmen and didn't copy Walther's design of the PP and even the 9mm Ultra ammo. Hell, we know the exact date the Russian Army stole the ammo plans in Germany!

Enjoy, but don't become a cult member. The Makarov was a great gun for what it was because it was cheap. Not for any other reason the working poor might pretend. Now they are just scarcer. Don't fall into the Russian Milsurp trap and start defending what you bought as something extraordinary -- it isn't. It and the P-64 are go-to working guns of mine because I do not care what happens to them and they do what a gun should do. For the price you paid I'd probably have gotten something else but it's not the worst purchase at all nowadays and you'll probably wanna baby it more than I did...

Oh, yours is probably .380 right? I changed mine back to proper 9mm Makarov.

I suppose the Warsaw Block didn't copy the Walther PPK either (no "S" for the extra-round-holding version)? Compare the pics yourself.

p-64-benchmade-mini-barrage-comp.jpg  

Last edited by HockaLouis; 02-23-2013 at 03:57 PM.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #10

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis
Holy smoke. I paid about $90 for mine barely used in the box with all the stuff from a guy at work. The holster with a spare mag I had to buy for $7 unissued. Great guns for the price -- almost sorry I left it in the trunk to get wet and get a few rust spots but it's a Makarov so who gives a carp except for the fanatics.

There's another forum and one particular bender from the Northwest, a guy who section-eighted out of the military and got caught lying he is still a soldier because he is a contract-worker food server, that collects Makarov ammo and has been repeatedly caught lying about their stats too. The idiot actually shot his chronograph but is defended by white trash.

Well he and these other small-fry inbreeds try to tell everyone the Russians were the most ingenious craftsmen and didn't copy Walther's design of the PP and even the 9mm Ultra ammo. Hell, we know the exact date the Russian Army stole the ammo plans in Germany!

Enjoy, but don't become a cult member. The Makarov was a great gun for what it was because it was cheap. Not for any other reason the working poor might pretend. Now they are just scarcer. Don't fall into the Russian Milsurp trap and start defending what you bought as something extraordinary -- it isn't. It and the P-64 are go-to working guns of mine because I do not care what happens to them and they do what a gun should do. For the price you paid I'd probably have gotten something else but it's not the worst purchase at all nowadays and you'll probably wanna baby it more than I did...

Oh, yours is probably .380 right? I changed mine back to proper 9mm Makarov.

I suppose the Warsaw Block didn't copy the Walther PPK either (no "S" for the extra-round-holding version)? Compare the pics yourself.
Agreed on the fanatic part!
I have an SKS, and I somewhat prefer it over AK, but I don't defend it to the death as the best weapon ever devised. I often hear mosin owners talk about how God-awesome the mosin is, but its just a cheap mil surp rifle. I don't talk about how much better Mauser is, do I?