Why no high-cap .22s?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Why no high-cap .22s?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 04:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts

I was messing around with a couple of .22s tonight and I got to wondering... Why is it no one makes a high-cap .22 LR pistol? Everyone just limits it to 10 rounds. Even S&Ws M&P 22, which I'm told is supposed to be used as a tactical trainer, is limited to 10-round magazines. Why is this?

High cap should be possible, after all, There have been high-cap mags for the Ruger 10/22 for decades.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-22-2013, 04:16 AM   #2

Liked 346 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm pretty sure kel-tec has one. I'm not to sure what it's called though I want to say its the PMR30.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:20 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

its hard to make the rimmed 22's function reliably in double column mags. all the ruger 10/22 mags that hold more than 10 are curved and single column.

the pmr 30 has enough spring energy to forcefully strip a double column rim cartridge. such isnt the case for 22lr. if you increase spring strength to work it reliably the round wont have enough energy to cycle the slide.

thats why there arent any past ten other than the few that use the 10/22 mags

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-22-2013, 04:21 AM   #4

I had forgotten about the Kel-Tec. Thanks for the reminder.

However, it's a .22 Mag, not Long Rifle.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:21 AM   #5

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Lookit da curve to dem hi cap .22 mags...
Not real conducive to an ergonomic pistol grip...
Kel Tec has made the PMR 30, which has been plagued by nothing but trouble so far, unless they've fixed it since the last I heard.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:23 AM   #6

Liked 346 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucznik
I had forgotten about the Kel-Tec. Thanks for the reminder.

However, it's a .22 Mag, not Long Rifle.
I was thinking it was a .22Mag, but wasn't totally sure. Still on the cheaper side when compared to some centre fire pistol rounds though.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
its hard to make the rimmed 22's function reliably in double column mags. all the ruger 10/22 mags that hold more than 10 are curved and single column.

the pmr 30 has enough spring energy to forcefully strip a double column rim cartridge. such isnt the case for 22lr. if you increase spring strength to work it reliably the round wont have enough energy to cycle the slide.

thats why there arent any past ten other than the few that use the 10/22 mags
Thanks. I appreciate the info. I didn't know that about the high-cap 10/22 mags. I thought they were double-stack deals.

Learn something new every day.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:24 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Kel Tec has made the PMR 30, which has been plagued by nothing but trouble so far, unless they've fixed it since the last I heard.
not yet. the guns are still self dissassembling. the slides come apart. the magazines function just fine. they are extremely cheaply made. the sample i saw felt like it was going to fall apart if i gripped it too tight. shoddy materials hardly begins to describe the one i saw. gives bryco a run for the crappy gun award

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-22-2013, 04:26 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucznik View Post
Thanks. I appreciate the info. I didn't know that about the high-cap 10/22 mags. I thought they were double-stack deals.

Learn something new every day.
there was a company that made really good double column 10/22 mags but they went out of business in the 80's. they had a 30 round mag that was only a few inches longer than a 10/22 10 rounder.

still kicking myself for not buying 40 dozen of em.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Perhaps but, is the curve an integral and necessary part of their design, or just a cosmetic feature to make them look cooler?

For example,the mags on an AK are rather dramatically curved whereas those of an AR tend to be more strait, even when they are chambered for the same 7.62x39 cartridge.