Why I will never buy a cheap handgun again - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

Why I will never buy a cheap handgun again


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 11:53 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 221
Default

Sorry you are having this trouble.

Thanks for sharing.

Makes me happy I bought my so far flawless LCP.
__________________
"My thinker must be broken"
jimbobpissypants is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:26 AM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
willfully armed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Olathe,JOCO KS
Posts: 1,998
Liked 128 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatme98 View Post
You're comparing something with approx. 14 moving parts (not machined, thats more like 9) to something with over 200 machined moving parts?
A pistols function is extremly simple compared to a car engine. A car engine break in is for parts hundres of parts to mesh and be lubricated. A pistol must load a cartridge by spring pressure from the magazine after the gas has forced the slide back, then release the firing pin/striker by manually pulling the trigger. It doesn't even have to lube itself. Pretty simple compared to a basic auto engine.
I have owned many handguns since I started shooting and I've never run across any that wouldn't fire right out of the box, not even my cheap a** Hi Point.
I'm sorry, but I just don't buy the pistol break in line. I believe some guns are better than others. But that's just my opinion.
A machine is a machine, regardless of moving parts.

Then im guessing youve never owned a Les Baer, Nighthawk, Wilson, or STI.
__________________
I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Last edited by willfully armed; 12-24-2011 at 12:29 AM.
willfully armed is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:26 AM   #23
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Wayne,IN
Posts: 3,456
Liked 755 Times on 439 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatme98 View Post
You're comparing something with approx. 14 moving parts (not machined, thats more like 9) to something with over 200 machined moving parts?
A pistols function is extremly simple compared to a car engine. A car engine break in is for parts hundres of parts to mesh and be lubricated. A pistol must load a cartridge by spring pressure from the magazine after the gas has forced the slide back, then release the firing pin/striker by manually pulling the trigger. It doesn't even have to lube itself. Pretty simple compared to a basic auto engine.
I have owned many handguns since I started shooting and I've never run across any that wouldn't fire right out of the box, not even my cheap a** Hi Point.
I'm sorry, but I just don't buy the pistol break in line. I believe some guns are better than others. But that's just my opinion.
I will say this on the break in period....my PF-9 is grouping tighter now that it is approaching the 500 round mark than it did approaching the 100 rd mark.
__________________
"Those that would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjammin Franklin

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
fmj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:35 AM   #24
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lake Havasu,Arizona
Posts: 7,892
Liked 3377 Times on 1864 Posts
Likes Given: 979

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
I will say this on the break in period....my PF-9 is grouping tighter now that it is approaching the 500 round mark than it did approaching the 100 rd mark.
That is probably from breaking in the shooter. I have noticed that pistols get a easier to shoot as they wear in and parts smooth out. It is a little more than just getting used to the pistol.
__________________
Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.
JTJ is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:36 AM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Alaska
Posts: 2,325
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default

I am quite content with my Kel-Tec PF9.
freefall is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:39 AM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 221
Default

[QUOTE=gwk4667;658232]



I wish it was both single and double action like my 5609, yes trigger pull is a little hard double action but then you are in single action mode or you can cock the hammer first and have a smooth easy trigger right from the start!

QUOTE]

This is an excellent thought. I own both a Colt Mustang (too heavy for extreme heat carry) and an LCP.

I would LOVE a mouse gun which was as you described. Is this gun on the market? I am not aware of it.
__________________
"My thinker must be broken"
jimbobpissypants is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:55 AM   #27
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Wayne,IN
Posts: 3,456
Liked 755 Times on 439 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
That is probably from breaking in the shooter. I have noticed that pistols get a easier to shoot as they wear in and parts smooth out. It is a little more than just getting used to the pistol.
Could be a lot to that!!! If it was my 686 or 1911 it would be WELL north of 1000rds thru it by this point....but that dang gun just doesnt lend itself to a comfortable day of shooting!! I cant get 50 rds down range in a session. The heel of my palm wont take it...well, it will, but not without MUCH protest!
__________________
"Those that would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjammin Franklin

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
fmj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:56 AM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
boatme98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mid Tennessee
Posts: 3,922
Liked 2125 Times on 1352 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
A machine is a machine, regardless of moving parts.

Then im guessing youve never owned a Les Baer, Nighthawk, Wilson, or STI.
Are you going to compare a Les Baer to a Dino V-12?

All of the guns you list (no I havn't owned any of the 4) are fine guns, but no off the shelf gun comes anywhere near the machining work that goes into an engine.
We're just going to disagree on this one. I will always expect my guns to work when purchased.
boatme98 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:48 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Billy9mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Augusta,Georgia
Posts: 428
Liked 233 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 1187

Default

If it is built and assembled with human hands every now and then you are going to get one with some kind of a problem dont matter what it is. I have a P-11 works just fine. Like some of the others have said you gonna get good and bad with any brand.
__________________
My readings of history convinces me that most bad government results from to much government.....Thomas Jefferson
Being Ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn............Benjamin Franklin
Your right to be free is also my right to be free from you.....Me
Life member NRA
Member Georgia Carry.Org
Billy9mm is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:02 PM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Diesel44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 33
Default

Just never could get the reason one looks to save a few bucks on the very thing that may be used to save one's life someday. I fully believe anything i trust my family's and my life to warrants quality, dependability, and bulletproof reliability. Never cut corners and go with lower quality to save a few bucks on a firearm used for SD. Just my $.02.

Last edited by Diesel44; 12-24-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Diesel44 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Recommend a handgun for home defense on the cheap Yunus Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 30 03-31-2011 04:41 PM
Cheap handgun safe c3shooter General Handgun Discussion 1 06-17-2010 03:52 AM