Why I will never buy a cheap handgun again - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

Why I will never buy a cheap handgun again

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 11:53 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Sorry you are having this trouble.

Thanks for sharing.

Makes me happy I bought my so far flawless LCP.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:26 AM   #22

Liked 128 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatme98 View Post
You're comparing something with approx. 14 moving parts (not machined, thats more like 9) to something with over 200 machined moving parts?
A pistols function is extremly simple compared to a car engine. A car engine break in is for parts hundres of parts to mesh and be lubricated. A pistol must load a cartridge by spring pressure from the magazine after the gas has forced the slide back, then release the firing pin/striker by manually pulling the trigger. It doesn't even have to lube itself. Pretty simple compared to a basic auto engine.
I have owned many handguns since I started shooting and I've never run across any that wouldn't fire right out of the box, not even my cheap a** Hi Point.
I'm sorry, but I just don't buy the pistol break in line. I believe some guns are better than others. But that's just my opinion.
A machine is a machine, regardless of moving parts.

Then im guessing youve never owned a Les Baer, Nighthawk, Wilson, or STI.
I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Last edited by willfully armed; 12-24-2011 at 12:29 AM.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:26 AM   #23
fmj

Liked 755 Times on 439 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatme98 View Post
You're comparing something with approx. 14 moving parts (not machined, thats more like 9) to something with over 200 machined moving parts?
A pistols function is extremly simple compared to a car engine. A car engine break in is for parts hundres of parts to mesh and be lubricated. A pistol must load a cartridge by spring pressure from the magazine after the gas has forced the slide back, then release the firing pin/striker by manually pulling the trigger. It doesn't even have to lube itself. Pretty simple compared to a basic auto engine.
I have owned many handguns since I started shooting and I've never run across any that wouldn't fire right out of the box, not even my cheap a** Hi Point.
I'm sorry, but I just don't buy the pistol break in line. I believe some guns are better than others. But that's just my opinion.
I will say this on the break in period....my PF-9 is grouping tighter now that it is approaching the 500 round mark than it did approaching the 100 rd mark.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 12-24-2011, 12:35 AM   #24
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3377 Times on 1864 Posts
Likes Given: 979

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
I will say this on the break in period....my PF-9 is grouping tighter now that it is approaching the 500 round mark than it did approaching the 100 rd mark.
That is probably from breaking in the shooter. I have noticed that pistols get a easier to shoot as they wear in and parts smooth out. It is a little more than just getting used to the pistol.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:36 AM   #25

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I am quite content with my Kel-Tec PF9.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:39 AM   #26

[QUOTE=gwk4667;658232]

I wish it was both single and double action like my 5609, yes trigger pull is a little hard double action but then you are in single action mode or you can cock the hammer first and have a smooth easy trigger right from the start!

QUOTE]

This is an excellent thought. I own both a Colt Mustang (too heavy for extreme heat carry) and an LCP.

I would LOVE a mouse gun which was as you described. Is this gun on the market? I am not aware of it.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:55 AM   #27
fmj

Liked 755 Times on 439 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
That is probably from breaking in the shooter. I have noticed that pistols get a easier to shoot as they wear in and parts smooth out. It is a little more than just getting used to the pistol.
Could be a lot to that!!! If it was my 686 or 1911 it would be WELL north of 1000rds thru it by this point....but that dang gun just doesnt lend itself to a comfortable day of shooting!! I cant get 50 rds down range in a session. The heel of my palm wont take it...well, it will, but not without MUCH protest!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 12-24-2011, 12:56 AM   #28

Liked 2125 Times on 1352 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
A machine is a machine, regardless of moving parts.

Then im guessing youve never owned a Les Baer, Nighthawk, Wilson, or STI.
Are you going to compare a Les Baer to a Dino V-12?

All of the guns you list (no I havn't owned any of the 4) are fine guns, but no off the shelf gun comes anywhere near the machining work that goes into an engine.
We're just going to disagree on this one. I will always expect my guns to work when purchased.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:48 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 233 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 1187

If it is built and assembled with human hands every now and then you are going to get one with some kind of a problem dont matter what it is. I have a P-11 works just fine. Like some of the others have said you gonna get good and bad with any brand.
Life member NRA
Member Georgia Carry.Org

Old 12-24-2011, 05:02 PM   #30

Just never could get the reason one looks to save a few bucks on the very thing that may be used to save one's life someday. I fully believe anything i trust my family's and my life to warrants quality, dependability, and bulletproof reliability. Never cut corners and go with lower quality to save a few bucks on a firearm used for SD. Just my $.02.

Last edited by Diesel44; 12-24-2011 at 05:06 PM.