Why I will never buy a cheap handgun again - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Why I will never buy a cheap handgun again

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #11
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1851 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 565

I traded off my P3AT on a Sig P238. No problems but I just did not like the way it shot. Recoil was nasty and not conducive to practice. LCP is pretty much the same. The Sig is fun to shoot and I am much more accurate. It weighs about 16 oz loaded and is not much harder to hide. The mouse guns may be for very close encounters but you still need to practice.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 12-23-2011, 03:14 PM   #12

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

A friend of mine ( another ex jar head ) bought a Kel-Tec and on the first mag it broke a firing pin. Factory exchanged it and the second one went into the second mag and broke a firing pin.

Factory exchanged it again and it lasted about 25 rounds and broke another firing pin. When it came back he gave it away.

Three pistols and he still had part of a box of ammo left.

Yes it looked nice but I want to have something I can rely on.

I bought a S&W bodyguard 380 and hated it. Trigger pull with a fish scale was over 23# After the first shooting ( about 50 rounds ) I did a major cleaning and lub and now the fish scale registered about 15#, another 50 rounds and another cleaning and lub - - - and back to the range. Trigger pull with the fish scale ( probably not all that accurate ) is in the single digits about 7 # to 9 # now. About 200 rounds thru in total and the trigger pull is acceptible but still not what I like, but then with double action only I guess that is what you can expect. I wish it was both single and double action like my 5609, yes trigger pull is a little hard double action but then you are in single action mode or you can cock the hammer first and have a smooth easy trigger right from the start!

Part of this is my fault I should have cleaned and lubed it before I went to shoot the first time. Just never thought NIB would be shipped dry!

Old 12-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #13

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flbandit View Post
I tend to agree. I recently bought a Ruger LCP for the same reason; ease of concealment in FL heat. While I can't fault Ruger on quality issues with the LCP, I did not like the gun. I wish I'd spent a bit more money and got something a bit better. I finally bit the bullet and traded it in on a Ruger SR9c, and like it much better.
Interestingly, right after the Kel-Tec issue I also purchased a Ruger LCP and put a Crimson Trace laser on it. Actually, I have a love/hate relationship with the weapon. I love the size, looks and the way it feels. I love the way it carries in that I forget that I am packing a gun when I wear it. My only issue is that it sort of beats me up shooting it. I've tried various trigger finger positions, but I just simply do not enjoy shooting the gun. It has been flawless in its performance at the range with not a single malfunction in over 200 rounds.

I guess I'm on a bit of a buying spree lately, but right after getting that (and this all in December), I purchased the Kahr PM9 and I absolutely love the gun. It is obviously of the highest quality, has fired 250 rounds with not a single malfunction, it's very accurate, and it is a joy to fire. If it was a perfect world, I wish the slide would be a bit easier to operate, but perhaps as I continue to break it in it will no longer take a major effort to simply rack back the slide.

Oh and yes, I also purchased a Kimber Ultra Raptor in SS and that is one gun that I cannot find one negative thing to say about it. But, that is an example of buying quality. Of course as with every gun, a brief search on the internet will yield the usual horror stories.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:10 PM   #14

I've been there man!... I bought a kel-tec too and hated that damn thing so I sold it the first time I got a chance

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards.
-Theodore Roosevelt

Old 12-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkl-28 View Post
I've been there man!... I bought a kel-tec too and hated that damn thing so I sold it the first time I got a chance
Live and learn! If I ever get mine back from the factory, which at this point probably won't be until the end of January, I will have to make a decision as to what I do with it. I think I would rather depend on a knife than a Kel-Tec!

Old 12-23-2011, 06:18 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

I, too, have an LCP but have never had any problems with it even
after shooting over 600 rounds through it. The recoil however was
changed by me not because of any problems with it but because I
wanted a #13 lb recoil spring in it instead of the #9 spring that came
with purchase of firearm. The addition has reduced the recoil considerably

Old 12-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanBaccha View Post
I, too, have an LCP but have never had any problems with it even
after shooting over 600 rounds through it. The recoil however was
changed by me not because of any problems with it but because I
wanted a #13 lb recoil spring in it instead of the #9 spring that came
with purchase of firearm. The addition has reduced the recoil considerably
Interesting, I would have never known that was an option.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:11 PM   #18

Liked 1943 Times on 1236 Posts
Likes Given: 1057

Fmj, These "light primer strikes" are most likely caused by the shooter not fully resetting the trigger...

I'll get him back over to shoot and check this out. Thanks.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #19

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatme98 View Post
I posted a couple of days ago on another forum about a brand new KT 9mm a friend bought new. I tried to talk him out of it and spend a few more bucks for a proven gun, but he still went for price. Well, the gun is abonimable. (My opinion) Sights are so far off it's pathetic, although fixable. Trigger pull is a joke. I'm guessing 10#+. And to top it off, there was a light primer strike one time in every mag run through it. Random round. Third, ninth, and anywhere in between cartridge.
And don't say "a KT needs 100 rounds to break in. That's B.S. Any firearm NIB should be ready to go when it leaves the factory. I don't care if it's a KT, a Kimber, or a Sig.
As far as "you get what you pay for", that is usually true, but I've owned an HiPoint .45 that I paid less for than the KT, and it was flawless right out of the box. There are some brands that I just won't buy.
You don't buy a new car and drage race it with 0 miles do you?

Is it ludicrous that auto manufacturers have a 500-1000 mile break in?

Machined surfaces require some operational time before they mate properly and form their symbiotic relationship. This is a widely known and well proven fact.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-23-2011, 10:00 PM   #20

Liked 1943 Times on 1236 Posts
Likes Given: 1057

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
You don't buy a new car and drage race it with 0 miles do you?

Is it ludicrous that auto manufacturers have a 500-1000 mile break in?

Machined surfaces require some operational time before they mate properly and form their symbiotic relationship. This is a widely known and well proven fact.
You're comparing something with approx. 14 moving parts (not machined, thats more like 9) to something with over 200 machined moving parts?
A pistols function is extremly simple compared to a car engine. A car engine break in is for parts hundres of parts to mesh and be lubricated. A pistol must load a cartridge by spring pressure from the magazine after the gas has forced the slide back, then release the firing pin/striker by manually pulling the trigger. It doesn't even have to lube itself. Pretty simple compared to a basic auto engine.
I have owned many handguns since I started shooting and I've never run across any that wouldn't fire right out of the box, not even my cheap a** Hi Point.
I'm sorry, but I just don't buy the pistol break in line. I believe some guns are better than others. But that's just my opinion.