Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Why are Glocks so overpriced?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2009, 04:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Why are Glocks so overpriced?

Before anyone says one word, I know all about the torture tests that the Glock bases all of their advertising on, so I'm not interested in that. Besides, the Springfield XD did the same torture tests, and I don't see them jacking up their prices on their products (in my opinion, the XD is an obvious better platform on all levels when compared to the Glock).

I would actually consider purchasing something like a Glock Model 19 just to have as a nice little "all-purpose" uber Tennifer-finished weapon around the house. The problem is these things are priced so high, I might as well invest in a Kimber MIM wonder or something like that...lol.

Why does the Glock company insist on raping the general community on Glocks when Smith and Wesson are making the same design (with different finish and different fire control assembly) for about 250 dollars less?

It seems like the only way to get a halfway decent deal on a Glock is to get the LE/military pricing on it (but what about the rest of the folks out there?).

I may stir up some trouble from the Glock folks here, but you gotta call it what it is. The Glock works, but it's NOT worth the 550 dollars ( on average) pricetag. Get it down to around 450 dollars (like the Springfield XD9 in my area), and I may begin to act like I'm interested. Better yet, get it down to closer to the price of the S&W Sigma, and watch sales take off like a rocket.

Is Glock taking lessons from certain car manufacturers these days?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-07-2009, 04:41 PM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

It's the Kool Aid.

I can buy any standard Glock for $398.20 under the LE/Military plan and TBH that's about all they're worth to me. I've really tried to like them but I just prefer the XD as a poly gun platform. I will not insult their ruggedness and reliability but I also buy guns that look good and I'm sorry but Glocks are butt ugly to me...

Old 08-07-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I agree, it's the kool aid. They can charge those prices so they will. I personally cannot stand glocks, feels like I'm holding a brick in my hand and if I raise it to go for your face I'm going to hit you in the knees.
There is no reason they should cost more then an XD(better gun. Go ahead and bring the arguments) or the S&W. Glock has marketed itself well and are reaping the benefits.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-07-2009, 05:12 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Advertising costs money. Lots of advertising costs TONS of money.

In the gun world, you could have the best product out there, but not have the money for advertising and it will die on the vine. ( See Chey Tac for an example ).

Then you could have a mediocre product, but a ton of advertising around you and you will sell them off the shelves ( see Glock and *looking to see if Tango is around* Remington )

Nobody markets like those two companies. They are in EVERY gun magazine, and their booths in industry shows are HUGE. We are talking 10's of thousands of dollars for floor space alone, not including the guests they bring in and the promotional stuff.

SHOT, 3 years in a row, Glock brought in R Lee Emery to sign autographs of him holding a Glock pistol in a combat pose, for 3 to 4 hours a day, for three straight days. That can't be cheap.

At the end of the day, the Glock is decent for what it is, but it's expensive for what you are getting IN RELATION to the polymer market that isn't beating it's chest like a rabid Silverback.

JD

Old 08-07-2009, 05:19 PM   #5

And while they're functional, they just have no soul. They remind me of a tire iron - it'll do the job but it's nothing special.

Here in GA, Glocks are the holy grail - as they're built here. I saw a post on my home forum today where a guy wants to trade a 1st series Kimber Classic Gold Match for 2 Glocks. I'm tempted to buy 2 Glocks just to make the swap as that Kimber is a great gun (yup, already have one KCGM)...

Old 08-07-2009, 05:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post

Here in GA, Glocks are the holy grail - as they're built here. I saw a post on my home forum today where a guy wants to trade a 1st series Kimber Classic Gold Match for 2 Glocks. I'm tempted to buy 2 Glocks just to make the swap as that Kimber is a great gun (yup, already have one KCGM)...
If you can afford it, do it. That Gold match is a hell of a weapon and EASILY worth more than two Glocks. Hell, you could probably find a couple at a pawn shop since the economy is in the tank....

That's a hell of a deal...

Old 08-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
If you can afford it, do it. That Gold match is a hell of a weapon and EASILY worth more than two Glocks. Hell, you could probably find a couple at a pawn shop since the economy is in the tank....

That's a hell of a deal...
If it wasn't a 4 hour drive to Atlanta I probably would. Thankfully, I already have a 1st series KCGM so I can pass this one up. Does show how silly folks are about Glocks though. One of these for even 2 Glocks, sad, very sad...

Last edited by NGIB; 08-07-2009 at 05:27 PM.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:32 PM   #8

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Well, plastic is expensive.

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"

Old 08-07-2009, 05:34 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have to be honest, I ALMOST drank the kool aid until I got my hands on something else. Slowly made my way around the XD and have been there since. A 1911 is in my future, I just want to play with more of them so I know exactly what I want. And now to get the thread back on topic....

GLOCKS ARE GAY!!!

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-07-2009, 05:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post

GLOCKS ARE GAY!!!
So now gays are expensive? They have expensive tastes? Or they live expensive lives? What are you trying to say here?? LOL

Closed Thread