Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Why doesn't SIG have a larger fan base?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
personally i think Sig makes very reliable, accurate and well built pistols. but they are IMO a very premium pistol with a higher price tag than a comparable pistol of equal quality. with their prices at the upper range of a price scale and someone on a particular budget wanting to buy a pistol, they are not usually the first brand considered. i have owned a couple over the years myself, and can attest to the fact, they are excellent pistols, but with their cost, not my first choice.
Another excellent point. Gone are the days where most people have play money going beyond a few hundred.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16820 Times on 9746 Posts
Likes Given: 43875

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukinfuts29 View Post
Another excellent point. Gone are the days where most people have play money going beyond a few hundred.
with the economy the way it is, most people will buy using comparison shopping more so now than many years ago. and if a person can get what they need and fulfills those needs at a cheaper price, than usually that's where they spend their money. the Sig is IMO a premium pistol at a premium price. are they worth the extra difference? probably so as they are an excellent pistol with an excellent reputation and when many elite military units and SWAT teams use them, there is usually a good reason, they are that good.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:57 PM   #13

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

They are certainly worth their price tag. In these times I think it is less of a collector and elitist market and more of a protect the family or zombie paranoia market. That said the pistols all do the same thing: go bang. Less bang for the buck (pun intended)

Old 05-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6111 Times on 3703 Posts
Likes Given: 6916

I own a Sig and I paid what to me is a lot of money. I don't buy guns every day or even every six months. I will probably keep any guns I buy forever. To me, it is worth it to pay more for a gun I really want than to get a less expensive gun and wish I had bought the one I 'really' wanted. My Sig cost me a lot of money but I think she's a really nice gun.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16820 Times on 9746 Posts
Likes Given: 43875

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I own a Sig and I paid what to me is a lot of money. I don't buy guns every day or even every six months. I will probably keep any guns I buy forever. To me, it is worth it to pay more for a gun I really want than to get a less expensive gun and wish I had bought the one I 'really' wanted. My Sig cost me a lot of money but I think she's a really nice gun.
WOC, that is excellent reasoning, and why some people do spend the extra money to gett what they want vs. wishing later that they had spent the extra money. buyers remorse! as i said, the Sig's are excellent pistols and will like any premium product, hold it's value better in the long run.

you got the P238 didn't you?

Old 05-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #16

Liked 723 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 691

I've never seriously considered a Sig mainly due to price but I do know they make quality firearms. For a modern polymer pistol I prefer Glock. For steel and walnut I like Colt, S&W, Ruger and others. Nothing against Sig, or H&K for that matter, but you tend to see more interest and discussion in the mainstream.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #17

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Personally, I love SIGs. But my XDm is a much better value. It does everything I want and need, feels great, and I shoot it very naturally. If price were not an issue, I'd own a SIG right now. I plan on owning a SIG in the future.

You just need to realize that some guns are far more accessible. And it's great that for the most part, gun boards don't seem to be a spending contest.

I do think that there is a lot of close mindedness and hyperbole from GLOCK fanatics. But that's true of most guns that have a cult-like following. (Glock just has a disproportionate number of them!). I keed! I keed! Just a little joke!

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Old 05-26-2012, 10:33 PM   #18

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Their 1911 series is not all that popular from what I read on this forum. The external extractor puts it in the company of Smith and Wesson, another company not known for its 1911's. It's slide has the Sig look, which definitely sets it apart from any other 1911's. I'm not impugning Sig, just suggesting that their design is divergent from JMB's classic design.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 05-26-2012, 11:00 PM   #19

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
Their 1911 series is not all that popular from what I read on this forum. The external extractor puts it in the company of Smith and Wesson, another company not known for its 1911's. It's slide has the Sig look, which definitely sets it apart from any other 1911's. I'm not impugning Sig, just suggesting that their design is divergent from JMB's classic design.
If that's the case and it is, why are we ok with the modern car? If we all still lived with dinosaurs, we should according to a large group carry only internal extractor 1911s and drive model A or T cars.
The internal extractor argument is b.s.

Loyalty can't be bought at any price;
but it can be rented remarkably cheaply.

Last edited by DodgerBlue; 05-26-2012 at 11:04 PM.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:13 PM   #20

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knfxda View Post
Personally, I love SIGs. But my XDm is a much better value. It does everything I want and need, feels great, and I shoot it very naturally. If price were not an issue, I'd own a SIG right now. I plan on owning a SIG in the future.

You just need to realize that some guns are far more accessible. And it's great that for the most part, gun boards don't seem to be a spending contest.

I do think that there is a lot of close mindedness and hyperbole from GLOCK fanatics. But that's true of most guns that have a cult-like following. (Glock just has a disproportionate number of them!). I keed! I keed! Just a little joke!
I don't think it's close mindedness as much as defensiveness. Most Glock owners own lots of other guns including sig, they just do not feel it is as suited for defense. This could be due to some self-fear that an external safety may cause them to make a mistake in a panic situation, it could be for a million other reasons.

Those that love Glock like other guns, they just love Glock lol.