Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > White Trigger Stop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1384 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Default White Trigger Stop

I have never been able to hit the broadside of a barn with my Kel Tec P-11. I have had it for years and always considered it to be a belly buster, nothing more. I put a white trigger stop on it and gave it a short try out.

The first six shots were like normal, all over the place. Once I got the hang of using the trigger stop I put the last four shots in the same hole. I am going to give it a few days of dry firing before I waste any more ammo. I am sure a little luck was involved with putting four shots in the same hole but I am certain the P-11 has become a 15 yard shooter.

I made the trigger stop out of a rubber tab you put on the bottom of a table leg. It will be more durable than a pencil eraser. I simply drove a 380 brass through the plastic to get it the size I wanted. The I used a triangle shape file to fit the plastic to the gun. I attached the trigger stop to the gun with super glue.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2655 Times on 1548 Posts
Likes Given: 1176

Any pics? I have trouble imagining things since the '60's.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1384 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Ok Here is the requested picture.

dscf0050.jpg  

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

danf_fl Likes This 
Old 01-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #4

Liked 211 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 15

John I did the same thing a couple years ago on a sw40ve. Works great and best of all cost nothing.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:29 PM   #5

Liked 284 Times on 246 Posts

I don't get it. Looks like you stuck a shotgun shell in front of the trigger. Do you sick your finger in the shel and use it while shooting? What's the purpose and how does it work? How does it stay? Do you carry it that way?

Edit... I see, never heard of these things before, then I noticed the little bump behind the trigger on the frame. So it prevents over-travel then? Good idea.

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 01-23-2013 at 07:33 PM.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1614 Times on 843 Posts
Likes Given: 1304

I'm sorry, I don't understand. Hasn’t the bullet already left the barrel by the time your finger is past the break and is proceeding to press the trigger further toward the rear after the round is fired?

Old 01-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #7

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
I'm sorry, I don't understand. Hasn’t the bullet already left the barrel by the time your finger is past the break and is proceeding to press the trigger further toward the rear after the round is fired?
You may be surprised how much of a difference this kinda thing can make. I'll tell you my experience with trigger pull follow through:

Shooting with the M16 at Parris island in 2002, I started off pulling the trigger until the shot breaks during my "natural respiratory pause" then immediately letting go. A Drill Instructor smacked me on the side of the head several times while simultaneously screaming "FOLLOW THROUGH". I began squeezing until the shot breaks during a "natural respiratory pause", and then holding it until I began the next breath. I IMMEDIATELY cut my groups by over half.

There are several things that can be done after the bullet leaves the barrel that will unbelievably affect accuracy. These are things that generally affect shooting form, and not so much the actual trajectory of the bullet.

Lifting your head immediately after the shot breaks to try and see where you hit is one too. Once I broke that habit, I went from sharpshooter score to expert score.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #8
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1614 Times on 843 Posts
Likes Given: 1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
You may be surprised how much of a difference this kinda thing can make. . . .etc.
Yeah, sure . . on a rifle, but even on a pistol that just has a few inches barrel?

Old 01-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2655 Times on 1548 Posts
Likes Given: 1176

Quote:
Yeah, sure . . on a rifle, but even on a pistol that just has a few inches barrel?
Even more so. The rifle is normally held by three points (shoulder, right hand, left hand). The handgun by two points.

Try to set the stool up on two legs.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Vincine Likes This 
Old 01-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #10

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
YES! YES! YES! Even then, with a shorter barrel, these things than can affect form, will affect handgun accuracy just as much, IF NOT MORE, than a rifle. Handguns are normally inherently more challenging to shoot accurately, because of the shorter sight radius, and fewer/smaller points of contacts with the firearm (shoulder stock, fore end vs a single grip to hold onto).

Usually, inaccurate shooting is more pronounced with a handgun.

Again, I'll relate my own experiences. I'm pretty new to the 1911 platform, having bought my first and only on Valentines day last year.
I started out with the arched main spring housing, and with a grip that consisted of wrapping my hand around the grip, like I was trying to strangle it.

Now, I hold it by putting the Web between my forefinger and thumb high and centered under the hammer, and wrap my fingers forward from that point. Accuracy improved.

I changed to flat MSH to help facilitate that grip, and accuracy improved more.

The problem was, the gun was torqueing and twisting as the round fired. The bulk of the effect was happening after the bullet left the barrel, but it was enough of a problem that it was affecting my accuracy in a huge way. By changing my grip, and a part to help me along, I pretty much eliminated this problem. Again, it was an issue that affected my overall shooting form, and really had nothing to do with the accuracy of the gun itself.