Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Where can i get .22lr ammo on the cheap? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/where-can-i-get-22lr-ammo-cheap-46664/)

40calcliffy 08-11-2011 06:22 PM

Where can i get .22lr ammo on the cheap?

I am planning to purchase a Walther P22 and I need to know where I can get ammo on the cheap and in mass quantities. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Firearms4ever 08-11-2011 06:37 PM

You can practically get it at any gunshop, gunshow, sporting goods store, and of course WALMART. WALMART is usually the cheapest.

VitSports6 08-11-2011 07:17 PM

Don't buy mass quantities until you see what type of ammo it likes, I went through 550+ rounds of Federal .22lr(I had about 15 or so FTF's) I bought from WalMart, Around here that runs about $15 or so.
Try different ammo first, $15 doesn't sound like much, But if you new P22 wont shoot them, Its a waste of money.
Best of luck

Recomm 08-11-2011 08:22 PM

Vitsports6 is right about precautionary measures prior to buying in bulk but a far as price, It's .22 ammo, it's already dirt cheap lol

canebrake 08-11-2011 08:54 PM

AmmoEngine: .22 Long Rifle, Instock For Sale Premium & Discount Ammunition, Ammo Deals

OC357 08-11-2011 11:51 PM

I had a p22 and it would only shoot/cycle CCI-Mini Mags. Everything else I tried jammed on ejection with every shot. I cleaned it real good too. It was a pain for me. I needed something that would reliabily shoot any .22 ammo so I sold it. So be careful and test it with different ammo. Walmart was the cheapest place around here for the CCI-Mini-Mags.

Just my experience with the p22.

OC

jhbwolverine 08-13-2011 09:05 PM

My wife and I tried out a rented P22 with some cheap remington rounds (whatever comes in the huge 550 round boxes) and we had at least one jam in every magazine. I second OC357's statement that you're probably going to have to run CCI's through a P22.

Our buckmark on the other hand jams maybe once in 100 rounds even with dirt cheap ammo.

maxdemers1 08-14-2011 11:19 PM

search google for cheap bulk ammo, here is a good site I get my bulk ammo from never have had a problem and its good ammo and amazing prices in my opinion take a look for yourself. 22LR Ammo | Bulk .22 LR Ammunition For Sale Cheap

sweeper22 08-15-2011 02:12 AM

Go to Walmart and pick out a few boxes of CCI mini-mags. I picked some up the other day for $6 per 100, and they had a ton of it in stock. That's easily the most trouble-free 22lr pistol auto cycler, and the price ain't too bad.

Experiment with bulk ammo here and there. The most reliable bulk ammo I've used for 22lr is the 325rd Federal "Target Grade Performance / for semi-autos" pack. It comes in a black and white box with some red lettering...about $12-15 at discount stores last I checked.

somawas 11-16-2011 02:12 AM

Never owned a Walther P22, but if it's like any of the auto-loading .22 pistols or rifles I own or have owned in the past, it'll be like the chihuahua my X had- finicky.
My best suggestion is to buy different ammo from different manufactures in amounts of no more than 100 rounds at a time. Buy it on-line from sites like Cheaper Than Dirt, Ammo Supply and other ammo sites, Wal Mart, and all of your local gun shops- they'll all have some stuff that the others don't have. Don't worry too much about the price at this point, what you want to know is if the ammo cycles adequately and is accurate, if the ammo works out, make note and then try some more ammo. After you determine what your gun likes and dislikes, then buy what works and as much in bulk that you can afford.