Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Whats up with the I.O Inc. Hellcat?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 02:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts

Default Whats up with the I.O Inc. Hellcat?

I've read in shooting illustrated about the io inc hellcat.it's pretty much the quinticential .380 mouse gun ( keyword "tiny"). I read how it had NO SAFETIES of any kind. Not even a drop safety like the LCP( I'm a big ruger fan). International armament says to not carry it with a round in the tube. That seems like a very big speed disadvantage. With a nearly identical price and manual of arms of typical mouse guns like the p3-at or LCP, what special does the Hellcat have to offer?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-25-2012, 03:57 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20942 Times on 11898 Posts
Likes Given: 52525

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford101 View Post
I've read in shooting illustrated about the io inc hellcat.it's pretty much the quinticential .380 mouse gun ( keyword "tiny"). I read how it had NO SAFETIES of any kind. Not even a drop safety like the LCP( I'm a big ruger fan). International armament says to not carry it with a round in the tube. That seems like a very big speed disadvantage. With a nearly identical price and manual of arms of typical mouse guns like the p3-at or LCP, what special does the Hellcat have to offer?
Rusty, i have never even heard of this pistol, but from what you describe of it, doesn't sound like anything i would buy. no safeties and they recommend an empty chamber? not for me! even the Bersa i bought new at $260 NIB for my wife is much better than the Hellcat 380!

Old 07-25-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2759 Times on 1598 Posts
Likes Given: 1205

The Hellcat, Ruger LCP, Kel-Tec P3AT seem to be set up the same way as DAO.

They will not fire unless the trigger is pulled the full stroke.

Care must be used when carrying. Stuffing them into a pocket with something else (i.e. pocketknife), is a no-no.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #4

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I'd be leery of the Hellcat. A gun dealer I know on another forum bought one to test. A quick clean & inspection went okay & first 50 rounds went okay, then started having problems. On the next range trip, the mag spring wouldn't even push the follower all the way to the top of the mag. You could load one round & it'd fall out if you turned the mag upside down.

Closer inspection revealed sloppy machine work & spot welding. Examination of the barrel showed extreme wear with less than 100 rounds. They have a lifetime warranty, but he deemed it not worth sending in.

So be sure you research it thoroughly before buying.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #5

I had one that I picked up from an auction. Amazingly horrible gun. Problems follow, the mag release is plastic so it wears out the corner which when fired the mag falls out of the gun. Recoil spring fits through the hole so every couple of shots, the slide sticks open. And it burns your hand when fired.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl
The Hellcat, Ruger LCP, Kel-Tec P3AT seem to be set up the same way as DAO.

They will not fire unless the trigger is pulled the full stroke.

Care must be used when carrying. Stuffing them into a pocket with something else (i.e. pocketknife), is a no-no.
Oh don't worry I never just stuff a gun in my pocket or waistband. I had a buddy who did that and actually lost his gun! I was like "dude, now anybody can have it!" that sure was a facepalm.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsees80
I had one that I picked up from an auction. Amazingly horrible gun. Problems follow, the mag release is plastic so it wears out the corner which when fired the mag falls out of the gun. Recoil spring fits through the hole so every couple of shots, the slide sticks open. And it burns your hand when fired.
It burns your hand? Yikes! I've never had that problem with other pocket guns.bis that particular to the Hellcat with you.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #8

Liked 214 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 15

If you want a solid 380 buy one of taurus 738 tcp models. Look for a C at the end of the serial number. Weight is 10.2 oz but simple seems to do care what ammo it is fed. Low priced models LGS prices here start at 185 to 260 for the ss black finish around my area.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #9

I have decided against the product.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:30 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
I pocket carry, either my S & W Model 637 or my LCP. I never put anything else in that pocket. Not even those rare times I can't carry. If I can't carry my gun, that pocket is empty. Nothing ever in it but a gun.

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.