Whats a good way to start? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Whats a good way to start?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2009, 10:34 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Nice pistol! I hope it brings you much enjoyment. The stuff that comes with the XD isn't that much, a lock, a loading device, a loop of plastic they call a holster, and a double magazine holder for yer belt. I have only used the loader & the lock (not on the gun).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
I do so like the OD green though.
It does grow on you. I bought an XD45 in OD green plastic with black metal; i bought it due to the price difference versus the other available XD45's in town. I now have bubba'd my SKS in OD green tapco stock and am trying to figure out how to best paint the furniture on my old mossberg 12 guage. The green grows on you, but i didn't like it in the beginning.

Last edited by orangello; 06-22-2009 at 10:36 PM.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:55 PM   #22

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Very nice Ruger. You have a pistol from a company that, in my opinion, puts out some very dependable firearms.

GP series revolvers

SP series revolvers

P series semi automatics

Your SR9 series

The LCP

The LCR

The 10/22 (arguably the best .22 autoloader out there)

....and the list goes on and on.

Looking forward to your range report.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Well, he's already got the sr9 and we all have our personal preferences.

I do so like the OD green though.

I'd like to see your 25yrd targets with 2" groups, that's pretty impressive.
Next time I go to the range I'll try to take pics. I've been doing this over 30 years in and out of competition.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:30 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
It does grow on you. I bought an XD45 in OD green plastic with black metal; i bought it due to the price difference versus the other available XD45's in town. I now have bubba'd my SKS in OD green tapco stock and am trying to figure out how to best paint the furniture on my old mossberg 12 guage. The green grows on you, but i didn't like it in the beginning.
I had to search for the od green the first store solde the one I had looked at then i whent to three more gun shops and they only had the othere two colors then i found it at a shooting range.

I was told in some places the green cost a bit more.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:44 AM   #25

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
Next time I go to the range I'll try to take pics. I've been doing this over 30 years in and out of competition.
Looking forward to it.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:45 AM   #26

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351mustang65 View Post
I had to search for the od green the first store solde the one I had looked at then i whent to three more gun shops and they only had the othere two colors then i found it at a shooting range.

I was told in some places the green cost a bit more.
I've seen them cost $10 more than black at most places.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:17 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
I've seen them cost $10 more than black at most places.
My first thought was "i don't wanna look like a wannabe soldier". I got over it; green is really one of my favorite colors, just never owned a colored gun (seemed a bit un-redneck).

Old 06-27-2009, 07:06 PM   #28

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Best way to start is find a range that rents pistols and shoot as many as possible. What I like or what fits me may not serve you well at all. I can't offer much advice except shoot as many as possible to find what fits you best before you buy.
I, too am very new to this. I bought a Glock 19, not simply because of what I read (all of it either glowing or hateful of "Tupperware").

I was thinking of renting several to help me choose, but the thought of paying for rental and ammo to try out 5 or 6 weapons helped me know I'd rather buy more ammo and/or accessories for the same money. One just needs to choose revolver/semi-auto, caliber, size. Then one can start to read, read, read on what specific pistols fit those requirements.

I can always buy another gun later, right?

By the way, I ended up spending about as much on ammo/accessories/NRA membership/etc. as I did on the actual handgun. One caveat...I know absolutely nothing, so my advice is worth about that much.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:20 AM   #29
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
I, too am very new to this. I bought a Glock 19, not simply because of what I read (all of it either glowing or hateful of "Tupperware").

I was thinking of renting several to help me choose, but the thought of paying for rental and ammo to try out 5 or 6 weapons helped me know I'd rather buy more ammo and/or accessories for the same money. One just needs to choose revolver/semi-auto, caliber, size. Then one can start to read, read, read on what specific pistols fit those requirements.

I can always buy another gun later, right?

By the way, I ended up spending about as much on ammo/accessories/NRA membership/etc. as I did on the actual handgun. One caveat...I know absolutely nothing, so my advice is worth about that much.
Well that is one way to go but from expereince I believe there is far more to consider than caliber and type of action. Even though I shoot on a regular basis and have done so for many years and I read up on firearms I am intrested in. For me it still comes down to how the pistol fits me, trigger feel/pull, grip size/angle, sights, ammo feed on a semi auto and over all feel of the moving parts when the pistol in the process of being fired.

While you might save a few bucks at the start it may cost your dearly if you ever need to use the firearm to defend yourself. I highly suggest anyone new to shooting find a good range that rents pistols and has instructors. Spend the money to rent pistols until you find what fit/works for your needs the best and then pay for instruction on how to shoot it well. Then practice often after you purchase your pistol. You are correct that doing this may cost almost as much as the pistol you purchase but considering that most people are buying pistols for home or personal defense it is money well spent. Saving the the money to buy more ammo or accessories wont help a bit if your not shooting a pistol that fits you well and you are not trained to use it well. You can always buy another pistol latter but what if you needed to use it for defense today?

I'm not getting on your case, firearm ownership is expensive if you want that tool to preform when you need it. Most will tell the price of the firearm is only a down payment on the expense of being a responsible firearm owner.

Imagine a friend of yours telling you that he never learned to drive a car but he bought a car for $500 and he's going to start driving it with out any concept of how it works. Wouldn't you advise him to take a class to learn before he drives? Even more if he told you he bought it because it was blue and most people told him blue cars are good would that make sense to you?

I hope this make sense to you.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:50 AM   #30

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So far my one big regret in buying my first hand gun back in January (a XD40 by the way)

Is not firing any XD before I bought it. If I was smart I would of waited 'till I was back in Tacoma where there are several ranges/gun stores that let you rent firearms so I could of fired different weapons to see what fit me the best. If I had done that I probably would of gotten a Sig instead. The XD fits my hand good and doesn't feel wrong, but when I hold a 229 that a local range has, it feels right. So that'll probably be my next purchase.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory