Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Whats a good way to start?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2009, 07:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Whats a good way to start?

My friend just got a Smith & Wesson Sigma W40GVE and i would like to get a pistol to go shooting with him so what would be a good starter gun to get for $500 max?

Some guns i was thinking of a Ruger SR9 are a Glock 23 or 31 but I am open to any thing.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-15-2009, 09:12 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Another sigma? Xd, glock, taurus, kel tec, revolvers, all types of .22's, rugers, CZ's, etc...........

Rent different types, do some research, and try them out before you buy. Helps you make the best decision for YOU. We all have our bias and preferences.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:14 AM   #3
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Best way to start is find a range that rents pistols and shoot as many as possible. What I like or what fits me may not serve you well at all. I can't offer much advice except shoot as many as possible to find what fits you best before you buy.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:01 AM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Best way to start is find a range that rents pistols and shoot as many as possible. What I like or what fits me may not serve you well at all. I can't offer much advice except shoot as many as possible to find what fits you best before you buy.
That being said, and I am in total agreement; except, buy a nice .22 pistol. Semi-automatic or revolver. Buy what you think you will be purchasing as a range, self defense or carry gun with respect to operational characteristics.

The .22 offers a good opportunity to get into shooting without much expense and there is plenty of ammo.

I would recommend the Walther P22 semi-auto or the Ruger SBC4 Bearcat in a revolver.

Have Fun!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:02 AM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Your buddies gun is the best starter gun. Pop a few rounds through his and see what you think. As mentioned before, a lot of ranges have firearms that you can rent. Pick up a few different models and calibers and see what fits you best and then go from there. Keep in mind that most ranges will not let you use your ammo in a rented firearm. They require you to purchase the ammo from them at the time of rental.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:54 AM   #6

I did get to shoot his gun and its a fun gun to shoot but its not as accurate as I would like and has a heavy trigger.

I got to hold the Ruger SR9 the same day and like the feel and look of it but did not get to shoot it.

Last edited by 351mustang65; 06-16-2009 at 08:00 AM.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:25 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

How accurate a gun is is mostly dependant on the shooter.

I believe the sigma should be able to do 3in groups at 15yards. You won't get much better out of a ruger.

Want good accuracy for the buck, go with CZ.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
How accurate a gun is is mostly dependant on the shooter.
True but we had a Taurus 9mm and a 45 there and all 4 of us shoot better with the othere guns, plus the Sigma seemed to have more recoil then the 45 is that because its a polymer fram?

Last edited by 351mustang65; 06-16-2009 at 10:56 PM.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:35 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would look for a used S&W M&P in 9mm or a Glock 9mm. Cockroaches and Glock 9mm's will outlast everything else on this earth.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:40 AM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Look at anything in the Ruger lineup.

Good luck in finding your first pistol. Take your time, and find something that you really like (don't concentrate too much on what other people say - listen to your gut).