Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Whats a good way to start? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/whats-good-way-start-14797/)

351mustang65 06-15-2009 08:49 AM

Whats a good way to start?

My friend just got a Smith & Wesson Sigma W40GVE and i would like to get a pistol to go shooting with him so what would be a good starter gun to get for $500 max?

Some guns i was thinking of a Ruger SR9 are a Glock 23 or 31 but I am open to any thing.

Gojubrian 06-15-2009 10:12 AM

Another sigma? Xd, glock, taurus, kel tec, revolvers, all types of .22's, rugers, CZ's, etc...........

Rent different types, do some research, and try them out before you buy. Helps you make the best decision for YOU. We all have our bias and preferences. :rolleyes:

WDB 06-16-2009 03:14 AM

Best way to start is find a range that rents pistols and shoot as many as possible. What I like or what fits me may not serve you well at all. I can't offer much advice except shoot as many as possible to find what fits you best before you buy.

dunerunner 06-16-2009 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDB (Post 117830)
Best way to start is find a range that rents pistols and shoot as many as possible. What I like or what fits me may not serve you well at all. I can't offer much advice except shoot as many as possible to find what fits you best before you buy.

That being said, and I am in total agreement; except, buy a nice .22 pistol. Semi-automatic or revolver. Buy what you think you will be purchasing as a range, self defense or carry gun with respect to operational characteristics.

The .22 offers a good opportunity to get into shooting without much expense and there is plenty of ammo.

I would recommend the Walther P22 semi-auto or the Ruger SBC4 Bearcat in a revolver.

Have Fun!!

fapprez 06-16-2009 04:02 AM

Your buddies gun is the best starter gun. Pop a few rounds through his and see what you think. As mentioned before, a lot of ranges have firearms that you can rent. Pick up a few different models and calibers and see what fits you best and then go from there. Keep in mind that most ranges will not let you use your ammo in a rented firearm. They require you to purchase the ammo from them at the time of rental.

351mustang65 06-16-2009 08:54 AM

I did get to shoot his gun and its a fun gun to shoot but its not as accurate as I would like and has a heavy trigger.

I got to hold the Ruger SR9 the same day and like the feel and look of it but did not get to shoot it.

Gojubrian 06-16-2009 10:25 AM

How accurate a gun is is mostly dependant on the shooter.

I believe the sigma should be able to do 3in groups at 15yards. You won't get much better out of a ruger.

Want good accuracy for the buck, go with CZ. :)

351mustang65 06-16-2009 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojubrian (Post 117944)
How accurate a gun is is mostly dependant on the shooter.

True but we had a Taurus 9mm and a 45 there and all 4 of us shoot better with the othere guns, plus the Sigma seemed to have more recoil then the 45 is that because its a polymer fram?

Flint Rock 06-17-2009 02:35 AM

I would look for a used S&W M&P in 9mm or a Glock 9mm. Cockroaches and Glock 9mm's will outlast everything else on this earth.

SGT-MILLER 06-17-2009 02:40 AM

Look at anything in the Ruger lineup.

Good luck in finding your first pistol. Take your time, and find something that you really like (don't concentrate too much on what other people say - listen to your gut).